Skimmer type

coralluvr

You really have to add in a price range you're looking for and what you plan on doing with your tank in the long run, as well as provide information on whether you want one that stands alone, sits in a sump, or hangs on a tank. There are a lot of different skimmers out there that are adequate for certain needs and those that are off the charts, but the cost ranges vary widely. Think Yugo to Ferrari, they'll both get you to where you want to go, but one will do it in a much faster way...

After many false, and expensive, attempts I stated using a Turboflotor 1000. Its a pain to set up and adjust, but it really skims. I use the aquamedic pump with it for good measure. I also have a 75g.

You really have to add in a price range you're looking for and what you plan on doing with your tank in the long run, as well as provide information on whether you want one that stands alone, sits in a sump, or hangs on a tank.  There are a lot of different skimmers out there that are adequate for certain needs and those that are off the charts, but the cost ranges vary widely.  Think Yugo to Ferrari, they'll both get you to where you want to go, but one will do it in a much faster way...

49501[/snapback]

Looking for a skimmer that hangs on side of tank. Plan at this point/since just starting are just for fish & a few coral. Price range 100.00-150.00 ???

I've been running a hang-on Bakpak skimmer on my 70 gallon Reef for 7 years. My tank also has 2 internal powerheads, and live rock.

The only maintenance I've done in the 7 years is replace the Rio pump and air hoses after 6 years.

I have lots of live rock, and don't overstock the tank with fish.

Carl

stay away from Seaclone, you will be waisting your money. Prizm may work but after a while is a pain to clean and maintain. Check out REMORA and ASM, both are good for a 75G Tank.

The above is just my MHO,, take it for what is worth.

Jacob

I would consider the Coralife SS (Superskimmer) and go for the largest one you can afford. I have them, and like them. If you can, put the one ranked for 220 gallons, IMHO you can never overskim. David

Looking for a skimmer that hangs on side of tank. Plan at this point/since just starting are just for fish & a few coral. Price range 100.00-150.00 ???

You're gonna need to look for something used in that price range. I'm in the same position and looking used as-well. The Remore or Urchin Pro are good for that size tank. The remora is hang-on and the Urchin is in-sump.

I have a prism that is hang on back- It is not very efficient - but I have it on a sea horse tank that does not recieve that much food- It takes some gunk out so I guess it is better than nothing- but just barely.

For what its worth, I have a jebo hang-on skimmer (the 180 something or other), and it works pretty well. There are definitely some design changes that I would make, but I bought it off ebay, brand new, for 18 bucks. That's including a pump.

What about the JEBO line?  They sell for under $50.

49581[/snapback]

One thing I have learned in buying skimmers... is to just bite the bullet and buy something that will work. Given your price range, that might be tough... so you need to keep your eyes peeled for something used. A Prizm, Jebo and Seaclone do not fit my "work" list for a 75g. IMO, if you want a hang-on, the AquaC Remora Pro is the best hang on I know of. If you decide you would like to use a sump, then I would suggest an ASM G2 or G3.

What sort of tank are you shooting for? (livestock, filtration, ancilliary equip., etc.)

For what its worth, I have a jebo hang-on skimmer (the 180 something or other), and it works pretty well.  There are definitely some design changes that I would make, but I bought it off ebay, brand new, for 18 bucks.  That's including a pump.

49592[/snapback]

(Sorry if this is considered hijacking - we can start a new thread)

I have a 55g reef with 65+ lbs live rock and live sand and (soon) HOB CPR refugium. Not wanting to insult the skimmer snobs and skimmer elitists herein (just kidding!!), would a JEBO be ok for me?

:)

Jebo is one of those.... 'use at your own risk' types. You will quickly learn in this hobby that if you're going to do something, do it right from the start. Do I like my jebo? (I too have it on a 55 gallon tank) - well it runs decent. It skims well, even when you think the tank is clean if finds stuff to pull out. My corals are doing better with it then when I was skimmerless. I do not know how much of a difference a 'better' skimmer would make though.

As I mentioned, there are a few design 'flaws' that I see... in the way its constructed. I've had it overflow on me, and drop about 4 gallons of water onto the floor :wall: when some hair algae got sucked through it and jammed up the return to the tank (causing the cup to flow over; I was gone for the day).

For my 180 I'm definitely getting a 'quality' skimmer. I figure, if I'm spending this much on making a nice tank, best to be sure to get everything that has been proven to work well. If you look at Jebo's track record, it seems to be hit or miss. On the light fixtures they sell, some people have had good ones while others have had disasters (fires and melting!)