Mlig9l9

Just wanted to say hello and that this is a great group of people. I hope to be able to make the next meeting and maybe learn some things since I'm pretty new to the salt water tank.

I do have a question about what I think are flatworms. They are little orangish spots starting to cover a couple rocks.I got some new live rock recently and it seems like over night they have exploded. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of them? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Do the orange spots move? Can you siphon a few off into a white container and confirm visually that they're flatworms? You might also be able to dunk an rock in freshwater, give it a good shake, and have a few drop off.

Welcome! Can you offer some details on the tank? How new is it? With new tanks (and sometimes with mature ones too) you will see different creatures ebb and flow - especially as they are finding balance. I'm not a flatworm expert, but sometimes you will see something, freak out, and then you never see it again.

It's a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump and fuge. I started it about 8 months ago and it's been pretty stable for a few months. But I've never seen these before and I would say that there are hundreds of these things out today, which kind of scares me.

Would love to see a FTS. 

I am not sure about the worms. Looks like they could be flatworms to me... but others here are more knowledgeable than me in that area. 

Consider getting a wrasse, maybe a nice little 6 line. They eat some species of flatworms. 

Thanks from what I can find that may be the best idea

Mlig, if you have flatworm, or AEFW (both of which I can't identify by the picture above) I do not suggest biological control (using a six line or another type of wrasse.) Although they do eat some species of worms, they can only do so much. There are precautions and measures you can take, depending on what your situation is. Either way, It's important to dip all your corals!

I bet they aren't flat worms. Put one on your finger. Inspect with hand held magnifier. Tell us what it looks like and compare with pics on the Internet. Some flat worms will not bother reef