Thoughts on anemones..

GOSKN5

I had a rbta that my Clarkii loved and lived in.... I upgraded tanks and sold the nem as I was worried about moving it etc..

My clarkii now is "hosted" by a colony of GSP on the sand bed.. he even feeds it (puts food on it anyway)...

I am getting the itch to get him another nem as I just enjoy the relationship and they are beautiful...

I know most of of the pros and cons and the care as well... but want to hear from some of y'all about why you have one or don't... also any problems u had etc..

My list of cons holding me back:

Risk of moving and stinging corals etc

Risk of my two mp10s becoming dicers

I also found it hard when the nem looked a little off.. I worried about it being sick or dying...

Those are my main thoughts. any input is great.. and pics are awesome.. not limited to bubbles either... thanks

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

That's a sweet looking rbta. Mines never looked that bubbly.

I have one really big rbta and it recently just split twice. Two are in the corner of my tank under the powerhead just as where it originally was before it split. The third is driving me crazy. It's roaming all over my tank and would never stay put. I have a lot of corals all over the tank and the corner is the only place that is away from everything else. I stuck it in a breeding trap box until I figure out what to do with him. I think it's hit or miss with nems. They all have different personalities.

I have a rbta and it roamed around the tank one circle and came back to the same spot and hasn't moved again. That was four months ago. And just recently bought a striped long tentacle anemone 3 weeks ago and it has never moved from the placement in the tank.

I essentially shoved my rbta deep into a hole in live rock when i first got it. Didn't see it for a week and the didn't move for two years. It's pretty hit or miss there isn't an exact science to it

I've got an RBTA I have now moved 3 times, from a 12g cube, to my 50g tank(where it split 4 times) to my new 150g where it has split 2 times now....

I put 2 in the 150... At opposite ends since I had 2 species of clowns...well...didn't matter...one of them walked all the way across the tank to take up residence right beside the other anemone...(which also led to the death of the other clown, anyways) so I am getting back down to one and hope to heck it never splits again,lol

but I do love it and so do my clowns! And I'd have to replace it if it ever died...

Awww he feeds the GSP! That is so cute!
So far it is tied about how I do with anemones. I had one (BTA) that lasted a few weeks and died. My current BTA is not doing so great, still alive though. And I have a rock anemone that seems to be doing well, but she has only been in for a couple of weeks. While my male was using the BTA for a host, it was like the anemone was the other woman; female clown was not allowed in and the two clowns did not spend as much time together. Now that the anemone is in isolation, they are an adorable couple again.

It's all personal preference. I like them, but you assume a risk. I've not had many problems with "walkabouts," but that's just my experience. I did have an LTA that settled into my 1'x1' monticap, and stings half of it to death as it grows, but that's a trade-off I'm OK with. I say got for it, if your tank is mature enough and you're ready for it.

I like mine a ton so far! and placed it in a bare spot with corals I don't care about around it. It moved first night in the tank but hasn't moved since. I think I have had it one week or so. It doesn't bubble up but love the waviness and the relationship. The clown treats it so tenderly and saw her take a stuck loose frogspawn tentacle out of the nem. Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.. I am actually leaning towards an LTA... still deciding if I want another nem at all

Thanks for the replies.. I am actually leaning towards an LTA... still deciding if I want another nem at all

I would recommend a RBTA before an lta. Jmo

I've killed three, two in my 120g years ago, and one in my current 60g. That's my limit, I won't be getting another one.

Curious if they were tank split and tank raised. I heard a tip that they are tougher and more resilient.

Reason being?

Lta's enjoy a sandbed, or deep rooting area. IMO rbta is hardier. Again, jmo.

I've killed three, two in my 120g years ago, and one in my current 60g.  That's my limit, I won't be getting another one.

I've also lost three. I'm pretty sure I won't bite again either.

Luv my LTA. It was a rescued petco purchase. It now about 9". Found a home on the bottom base of rock in a crevice and hasn't moved.post-2633730-139195823819_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Not discounted just purchased the day it came in before they killed it. Their nems don't last very long in their tanks by me.

Not discounted just purchased the day it came in before they killed it. Their nems don't last very long in their tanks by me.

Wow... that's a great nem... was it that green in person?

No....it did have some color but it has definitely grown and colored up nicely.  I typically feed it a small piece of krill or silverside once a week.

I love my RBTA and so does 1 of my 2 clowns. It has only moved once but that was my fault as I accidentally bumped the rock it was attached to and couldn't get it back to it's original orientation. It has since grown significantly and have started to get into coral territory. This is unfortunate for me because I deliberately stocked extremely and painfully slow to allow the nem to wander if it wanted and so I can place corals around it. But alas, it's tentacles are starting to stretch pretty far but I don't' want to mess with it and I don't want to get rid of it. I used to feed it a few drops of frozen a few times a week but now I've stopped that in hopes that it stops growing..haha.

My point is, I think a nem should go into a larger tank unless you plan to stock lightly or do just a nem tank. Pics are in my thread but the nem is even bigger now.