Moon lights for frag tank

mling

I leave the moon lights in my 156 Reef on till about 11pm each night.  I believe fishes need some good old "dark" time and rest.

I just set up a frag tank and I was wondering if I should leave the moon light on all night.   Would it not help it grow more with longer exposure to light ? 

Corals in the ocean aren't under lights 24/7. I would imagine non-stop light wouldn't be good for it. Im sure someone can give you a more scientific answer, but I wouldn't even consider constant lighting on them.

So what if I leave the white lights on 7 x 24 ?

The studies that I've read indicate that you need a period of darkness for coral growth. Here's a thread that you may find interesting that is on this topic.

corals need time to recover....24x7 normal lighting not advisable. I think there have been studies.

My wife likes to leave on some led holiday lights all night in our family room...and it seems like there is always a holiday. This is somewhat ambient lighting for the tank...nothing major...moonlight basically. No harm done.

It has been shown that there is more calcification during the dark hours. Seems it is energy generation/storage during the day, deposition and growth at night.

If you really want to experiment with photo period for increased growth, look into decreasing the the time the lights are on, but increasing the frequency (e.g. 4 hours on 4 hours off). I think there are studies on growth rates when manipulating photo period online. But, I am too lazy to look right now.