Filter bags/sock- has anyone have any experience with these!

flooddc

I stumbled on this site that sell bulk filter bags/socks. I wonder if anyone ever used these in their tank or whether they are safe to use. These are 150 micron mesh.

I noticed they also have felt bags too, but they are 1-5 micron. I think they will get clogged up very quickly to use as filter sock.

http://www.thecarystore.com/containers-catalog/industrial-filtration-liquid-filter-bags-size-4-multifilament-mesh-filter-bags/pemu150p4p-filter-bag-21wu46?gclid=CNOQgqeusbwCFelxOgodrgMAqw#n

Here is a good spot to get felt ones online:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=%2Bfilter+%2Bbag&i=filterbags

Note, the ring is metal so I would cut that out of the sock.

Are you using these? 

Copps recommended these to me and I've been very pleased with them:  http://www.filterbag...00P4P-p845.html

They are 1/2 cheaper than most. :) 

I'm not now, but have before.  I don't run a sock any longer.  I siphon tank and siphon sump clean with water changes. 

I never use them before, but for some reason I decided to use them on my 45G :rolleyes: !  I have a few that I change out every 2-3 days,Maybe  but they are a pain to wash! So I looked into mesh to see if they are easier to wash than felts. 

Maybe just buy some felts and DIY. Probably easier to wash with out the ring! 

Group buy? I'd be in for 10 socks. The clothy ones are pita to clean.

You will be my first contact! I gotta see if anyone used them!

Maybe I can contact them for a sample and try it out!

I've used the mesh ones... I don't care for them as much as the felt as they don't stop all the detritus coming throu so I still had to siphon out that part of the sump when I did water changes....

I use the felt socks from Bulk Reef. They do get "filled" quickly. I have been changing mine out every 5-6 days. They can be washed (according to bulk reef) in the washing machine. They recommend running an empty cycle first and then washing the socks with no detergent. I have just been rinsing my with water. Although I will have to try washing them soon as they are not coming out as clean as they were.

I used the mesh filters and it might get out the really big items, but seemed like almost everything got through the sock. I think it grabbed some dog hair  :happy:

Hope that helps!

Very interesting website. I would have no idea what micron size to choose.

I got the 100 micron ones that I had the link to, only problem is you have to order at least 25 but it's usually not hard to find a couple people that want some on here.  I bought a dozen, change them out twice a week, scrub them in the sink with a brush and then put them in the washing machine.  Are holding up pretty well even after a year of use.

I use the felt socks from Bulk Reef. They do get "filled" quickly. I have been changing mine out every 5-6 days. They can be washed (according to bulk reef) in the washing machine. They recommend running an empty cycle first and then washing the socks with no detergent. I have just been rinsing my with water. Although I will have to try washing them soon as they are not coming out as clean as they were.

I used the mesh filters and it might get out the really big items, but seemed like almost everything got through the sock. I think it grabbed some dog hair  :happy:

Hope that helps!

I turn my felt ones inside out and throw them in the washer with a cap of bleach on high heat....let them air dry and good to go!

I'll split them with you.

:laugh:  You wanna be a guinea pig like me to! I can order a box to see if any good! if not can always use it as coffee filter!

I've ordered the filter bags on multiple occasions. I've used both felt and mesh and found that the mesh ones wash a bit easier to clean. Usually about 150 micron is good. Change them once a week and then turn them inside out and run them through the washer. I would actually keep a bag of about 20-30 on hand and rotate through those (2 at a time) and wash them in bulk every couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI to anyone that might be interest in meshed filters. The Company confirmed that these are food grade filters!

So I ordered them and used in my 45 cube.

I am quite pleased with them. I ended up doubling them (put one inside the other) to collect more smaller detritus.

These took about 7-10 days before clogged up and overfilled versus the old filter sock that need to clean every 3-4 days.

Cleaning is a breeze took less then 2 minutes to clean with water only.

i'll have to check  but i use a mesh type which i like better than the felt type. I have to change out every 2-3 days or when it starts to over flow.  i flip them inside out and rinse in hot water and hang dry