Moving to Springfield

Any recommendations on where to buy used equipment?  I assume Craigslist is the first recommendation.  Funny thing though, it's actually very seldom used where I live currently; one of the local news websites has an impressive classified ad section.  On top of that, the local fish club has a very robust one as well.  So I'm used to seeing fish items there instead.

I look forward to setting up a tank when I find a place to live, move the family out, and then hopefully trading some frags with you fine folks.

Edited by AndroidAggie

When you become a member the Wamas sell/buy/trade area comes up.

Haha, guess I shoulda read between the lines on your first post.  :)  I will make sure I join when we get there, then.

Recommendations on stores?  I'm actually excited to be within driving distance of coral for purchase...  Not a single store within a 30 minute drive here.

Driving out on January 28th.  New job starts February 3rd.

We're targeting Springfield, as it's close to work, but we're not sure.  We've been out to visit before, and have friends in Annandale and Alexandria.  We fly out next week to find a place, come back to Utah for a day or two, have the movers pack and load, and then we drive with 3 kids, all under the age of 5, across the country.  Should be good.  :)

First off, welcome to WAMAS, like JR mentioned above, first best thing you can do is become a member at $20. It will give you access to much of the forum, but specifically the buy/sell/trade area. You wont find better deals IMO.

Quantum Reefs in in Springfield, and everything is fairly close together, but none of our LFS as far as I know are metro accessible, so you'll need a car.

When are you headed our way, and what size tank do you have in mind?

(edited)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

We anticipate being there by the 1st of February.  I am not exactly sure what size of tank.  I have only had smaller tanks in the past, and I don't know if I really want to go bigger.  I think I'll probably get a 29 gallon.  I'm fairly handy and I can build stand, canopy, and light systems.  As I'll be renting I'm feeling that I'll probably do a HOB refugium instead of a sump (to mitigate the risk of floods), and probably do that out of a big Penguin filter from Petsmart or something.

This isn't my first tank, but there's a lot I don't know.  I also have a bit of an ego and I like to test conventional wisdom from time to time.   :)

Edited by AndroidAggie

Welcome to the club and area! +1 to what everyone has said about Quantum. The guys there are great and can get you anything you need. 

Recommendations on stores?  I'm actually excited to be within driving distance of coral for purchase...  Not a single store within a 30 minute drive here.

Just wait until you move here. We are truly fortunate to have so many retail options in our metro area. Besides Quantum, there are other very good and respectable LFS that will gladly take your money. :)

First welcome, second join Wamas, it with be the best $20 you spent.

Here here

Thanks.  

Does WAMAS ever do a club-wide reef tour?

WAMAS used to do tours, although our members are spread out all over Northern Virginia, DC, and Maryland, which makes it a little harder. It has been a long time since the last one. There has been talk of members closer together conducting some, but I don't think anything has come out of the talking about it, yet. Members who subscribe have access to the buy/sell/trade forum, which from my personal experience, has allowed me to meet a plethora of local members, and see their tanks via proxy. We also have a member map via Google, that enables members to place their location, and find neighbor reefers.

welcome to our area!

Honestly it is true that the $20 fee to become a member is the best money you will spend in this hobby.  We have quite a few new members (on this thread alone!) that will attest to that....right Deavo?  :tongue:

Once you become a member you will have access to our for sale/for trade/swap etc forums where you will find everything you need for a tank. If you need it post up a WTB and you will find yourself having to sift through the responses for what you want.  There are member only discussion areas as well. We have quite a few meetings (you just missed one this past Saturday) and socials throughout the year. You will also get discounts from a lot of local (and some not but online based) stores with your membership. The support you will find here within the membership is outstanding...even at all hours of the night (why don't you people ever sleep??!)

Let us know when you arrive and are settled in and we will all help you get your bearings and start on your journey with a new tank...

WAMAS used to do tours, although our members are spread out all over Northern Virginia, DC, and Maryland, which makes it a little harder. It has been a long time since the last one. There has been talk of members closer together conducting some, but I don't think anything has come out of the talking about it, yet. Members who subscribe have access to the buy/sell/trade forum, which from my personal experience, has allowed me to meet a plethora of local members, and see their tanks via proxy. We also have a member map via Google, that enables members to place their location, and find neighbor reefers.

While DC, proper, is 63 square miles, the WAMAS area is roughly 5,627 square miles. So a traveling tour could do 10 in a day or maybe just one because of travel distance.

On a side note, with that being said, three of us have restarted this about 4 months ago. While it is un-publicized, outside a few people that I have told, I have had a person express interest, down in Southern part of Northern Virginia (picture that, right?) We have had 2 visits so far. We start with lunch and then, spend the rest of the day at one location both discussing and recommending things. As simple as, change your GFO to 'Help me catch my fish'. We have raised the idea of other get togethers outside of aquariums. 

Normally it is a quick over view by the owner of how things work then we start looking. Sometimes other eyes can see a problem, or have been there done that, and can help get things running smoother or easier. Plus it helps to see how the other side of the fence does things. 

We are in Dulles area, PG County, and I am in Indian Head. I am the next visit in our series. 

As I am in the process of installing a 120 to be plumb in with my 180 and new 75 sump (that we just did this past weekend) there will be lots to see and look at. 

Welcome to the area, I go to Quantum Reef at least once a week, to look at their new items and pick up basic food and supplies. I have always had a positive experience and have made good friends there.

A bit of an ego, eh?????? Let me be the first to introduce you to Zygote2k,  He is another one of our members that likes to test conventional wisdom from time to time........who am I kidding, ALL the time.

I would recommend going bigger than a 29.  You can get a 40g breeder for pretty cheap and that will give you a lot more options on what you can keep.  I would also recommend going with a D2040 LED fixture as it gives great color and is inexpensive.  Our member Monkiboy can help you out with that. 

Most importantly, please feel free to ask questions.  Pound for pound, this is a fantastic club and there are a ton of helpful people here.

Welcome to WAMAS!!

I live near Springfield and can vouch for the friendliness of the guys at Quantum.  Most of the local stores have very helpful salespeople.  It is fine to have a 'bit' of an ego, nearly everyone does yet many won't admit to it.  I am also one to challenge convention and you will find people on WAMAS to be extremely supportive of different ways to do things.

Even though you may do unconventional things, the best way to outfit a tank is to get a setup from someone on this site who is moving or getting out of the hobby for a while.  

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you've gotten settled and had a chance to join the club. It's very active and pretty open-minded as far as ways to do things. There is a ton of knowledge, the meetings are great with great speakers, lots of giveaways, and awesome corals for sale. You will find the LFS selection here is amazing. Take a couple of days to do a tour of them. Everyone has their favorites but there are many great ones.

I love a small tank. Can't wait to hear your plans. The aquaclear mods are pretty easy and make a great little mini refugium.