Running Zeozym in my 20l = skimmate that looks like my toilet threw up in the collection bottle

nova423

Sorry for the crappy cell pic.  This is out of DIY Skimmer I made out of a perrier bottle I got for 1.29 from whole foods with 3 ebay limewood airstones, one million air pump (dual output plumbed together), and religious use of zeozym.  Can't praise this stuff enough.  Before I started using the zeozym, I always skimmed out light brown to slightly lighter brown skimmate.  Now I pull out this funk on the regular.  I do feed heavy, but as a longtime fish keeper I don't think "underfeeding" is best for fish health, even if it does keep maintaining your tank params easier.  

post-2633821-0-22880800-1390237816_thumb.jpg

Had never heard of Zeozym before... sweet merciful heavens, that's stuff is expensive. I did a search a found a couple of other products that claim to be flocculants, including:

Dr. Tim's Clear Up

SaribSea Phosbuster

Kent Marine Pro Clear Clarifier

SeaChem Clarity

Anyone had experience with any of these? I feel like periodically dosing a flocculant to increase skimmer efficacy might be an interesting test to run...

This talk of flocculants reminds me of my days as a Suntan Lotion Manufacturer back in the late 80's. I used to play around with Carbopol 940...

but I digress.

I'm going to look into ZZ to help on some of the maintenance tanks after tear down and rebuilds. Thanks.

Edited by zygote2k

CS works better than ZZ.  Dose 2-3 times per week and directly after water change.

Plus you can get it in 2ltrs for fairly cheap.

Plus you can get it in 2ltrs for fairly cheap.

I double dose cs with weekly water change, along with half dose zeobak. I put the mix directly in the freshly mixed sw, before adding to tank.

+1 I'd love to know the same thing.

You can, make sure some cs is in there too. I wouldn't overlap dosing biomate with zz until after 24 hrs for either.

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of zeo, anyone using/has used a zeo reactor? I've been stewing on buying one for the last few months...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the topic of zeo, anyone using/has used a zeo reactor? I've been stewing on buying one for the last few months...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best if you start a new thread so you dont HJ this one.  What questions do you have regarding the reactor?

Best if you start a new thread so you dont HJ this one.  What questions do you have regarding the reactor?

Maybe we need to start a Zeo users section.

• 3 weeks later...

I use ZZ.  according to the directions I dose 3/4 tsp once a week.  This stuff will last forever doesn't seem expensive.

Yea the container will last a long time and is well worth it!

So i am not interested in full zeo, but if zeozyme or coral snow or some combo would make my skimmatte stinkier and uglier, I would do it. Can I. Just add a teeny bit of that stuff without all the rest?

So i am not interested in full zeo, but if zeozyme or coral snow or some combo would make my skimmatte stinkier and uglier, I would do it. Can I. Just add a teeny bit of that stuff without all the rest?

I recommend the following products for non Zeo system.

1.  Coral Snow

2.  ZZ

3.  Biomate

4.  Coral Vitalizer (only for systems running nutrient poor)