Breeding Mandarin Dragonets

Enkay

Has anyone here tried breeding these pretty fish? Any experiences to share?

Thanks!

I think the closest you're going to get is PaulB, who states frequently that his are in breeding condition and spawning. I believe he has videos and pictures of them courting. I think that's about as far as it goes in his tank, as we heard, I bet it's probably pretty complicated, but I'm just guessing.

Check on Reefcentral, breeders registry and MOFIB (if still active).  There have been many that were trying (Matt Pederson sp?) was trying I think at one point.  If I remember correctly the larva are very small and difficult to collect. 

If you are going to try breeding marine fish i would suggest to find a pair of clowns and hone your skills there.  They are the easiet larval baring fish that I know of.  Then you can move on to the more complicated species.

Good luck!!!

They can spawn frequently, mine do did. It's raising the fry that's the difficult part.

I guess I should edit with, they used to. When my previous male died I got a new, smaller male. My female started chasing him on the first day, trying to get some I can only guess. They follow each other now, but no courting yet.  :rolleyes:

And to add, even without being able to collect the fry, having successfully spawning pairs in your tank is awesome. My falco hawkfish pair spawns frequently as well.

Edited by SunWyrm

Thanks for all the input guys.

From everything I have read so far, the fry eat specific rotifers/zooplankton. Trying to find out what type these are. By the looks of it, it is the feeding of the fry that is "difficult" but if you try and take good care, it is possible. I am approaching it as an experiment and a challenge. If I succeed and raise fry, everyone here gets tank raised mandarins for free :laugh: . So wish me luck :tongue: .

After breeding all kinds of freshwater fish, some easy, some very difficult, I want to try these for sure. Going to try and set up a tank and all in the next month or so, I have a pair in my display tank. They are not showing spawning behavior yet. hopefully they will. Else, might get another pair for breeding purposes.

Has anyone done rotifer cultures ? How easy/hard is it to sustain one? Rotifers seem to be the primary food for the fry.

• 2 weeks later...

They spawn about every five weeks.  They are also a very easy fish, but you need a mature tank that is not very sterile.  IMO a 4 or 5 year old tank is not very mature.  There are plenty of pods in my tank as I have quite a few fish that only eat pods, but I supplement the mandarins diet in a feeder with new born brine shrimp.  They also eat blackworms and whiteworms but it may take a while for them to recognize them as food.

Here is a pregnant female.

b9d33ff9-7593-4565-8706-d999c6132d71_zps

Here they are spawning.

IMG_2312.jpg

Dining at their feeder

IMG_2391.jpg

And a video of them eating from the feeder along with some friends.

th_MVI_1982.jpg

Paul, et. al.,

I do have a pair (m/f) of mandarins and the male eats blackworms. I have seen it so I know he eats them. I am trying to create a feeder like paul has done to feeb bbs but I can't find the right mesh. I hope I do soon. I do dump a bunch of bbs in the tank and I do have a lot of pods. The female does not come out to feed on blackworms bt is foraging in the rocks.

I am hoping one of these days I will see their mating dance and then one day I might catch them spawning. 

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for all the input guys.

From everything I have read so far, the fry eat specific rotifers/zooplankton. Trying to find out what type these are. By the looks of it, it is the feeding of the fry that is "difficult" but if you try and take good care, it is possible. I am approaching it as an experiment and a challenge. If I succeed and raise fry, everyone here gets tank raised mandarins for free :laugh: . So wish me luck :tongue: .

After breeding all kinds of freshwater fish, some easy, some very difficult, I want to try these for sure. Going to try and set up a tank and all in the next month or so, I have a pair in my display tank. They are not showing spawning behavior yet. hopefully they will. Else, might get another pair for breeding purposes.

Has anyone done rotifer cultures ? How easy/hard is it to sustain one? Rotifers seem to be the primary food for the fry.

Rotifer cultures are easy to keep but for me if was very annoying to have to keep the culture alive while my fish were not breeding.

Nylon stockings may work.  Not that I wear them or anything. :huh:

Thats a good idea. Wife wont be very happy to see one missing though  :ph34r:  :tongue:

Do the laundry...then after you cut a piece out, tell her it got chewed by the dryer...if she gives you H-E-double hockey sticks tell her your never doing laundry again...if she doesn't give you H-E-double hockey sticks, then she might never let you do laundry again...either way you get stocking for your mandarins, and might end up never doing laundry again...

• 4 weeks later...

So some general update. Today evening, I caught the pair doing the "mating dance". It is real cool to watch. No idea if they eventually released any eggs but by the looks of it, they are getting in the mood for sure. I did capture a grainy cell phone video. Will post tomorrow as I am too relaxed to get up and get the charger cable from the other room.

Unfortunately, I will have to let this time pass as I leave for India next Thursday and will be gone for a couple weeks. 

Once I get back though, I think I can try and get this project started. 

Sorry for the blue grainy video. Will try a better one next time. Its exciting when this happens in your DT  :clap: