Handfull of Wrasse

YHSublime

I'm thinking about taking my stock list the wrasse direction. I'm building a top over the next couple of days, and have some concerns about some of them needing a sandbed. My Melanurus just gets by with my sand the depth it is, and would like to avoid any more sand sleeping ones. Any I should avoid because of my already existing Melanurus?

I'm thinking:

Hawaiian Flame Fairy Wrasse
(Cirrhilabrus jordani)

Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse
Paracheilinus carpenteri

Scotts Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus scottorum 

Orange - Back Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis

McCoskeri Flasher Wrasse, Male
Paracheilinus mccoskeri

wrasses are my favorite...I have zero idea where mine sleep...the light goes out and in less than a blink of an eye they poof like magic and no matter how hard I try to watch them go I have yet to figure it out lol...its part of the reason I love them so much...im like a delighted child the way they appear and disappear ha  ha

Im excited for this new direction...can't wait to see!!!

I had six of the orange back wrasses, three males and three females. One of my favorite types of wrasses.

Yes, this is what really started my thoughts on wrasse. Nice lid first, and then I'll work on my list.

Make sure you have a good net top on the tank.

If I keep my canopy on, will that be good enough? It's about 10" off the top

wrasses are my favorite...I have zero idea where mine sleep...the light goes out and in less than a blink of an eye they poof like magic and no matter how hard I try to watch them go I have yet to figure it out lol...its part of the reason I love them so much...im like a delighted child the way they appear and disappear ha  ha

Im excited for this new direction...can't wait to see!!!

Haha, awesome. The Melanurus pretty much decides it's bedtime if the lights are on or not. He's taken to sleeping under my welso, great personality, makes me want more!

I love my wrasses and that list sounds amazing.

They are def. bright colorful, personality filled fish. I mean, Tangs are cool, but...

A canopy is fine as long as the back or sides are closed in so they can't fly out.

I have found out the hard way lately that stingrays and wrasses don't mix well. I've caught my ray digging up the wrasses from the sand while they sleep.

A canopy is fine as long as the back or sides are closed in so they can't fly out.

I have found out the hard way lately that stingrays and wrasses don't mix well. I've caught my ray digging up the wrasses from the sand while they sleep.

Just need to figure out a way to close up the back of my canopy, although I still might find a way to do tops. I've also recently started growing mangroves out of my overflows, the lights might as well double function I figured. I like to float my canopy sometimes, so it'll be my task to figure out the best solution for the top!

I don't think I'll be adding a stingray to my reef tank, so I can rule out that unfortunate event in my tank. Sorry to hear it's been hunting in yours though!

I don't think you're going to get away with a Scott's in the mix.  Very aggressive towards other fairy wrasses.  My supermale red velvet is extremely dominant and aggressive towards other fairy wrasses, and they are not even considered aggressive fairy wrasses.  I'd hate to see what a Scott's supermale would do.

This is working for me so far: Red velvet, Laboutei, red headed fairy wrasses (solerensis), and a Melanarus.  The Melanarus is the only one that sleeps in sand.  The rest find nooks in the rocks and blow mucous bubbles around themselves.

It's been awhile since I've had wrasses, but I had 3-4 together in my 300.  I know I had a solarensis, a Lubbock's, a Scott's, and a Mystery at some point in time, believe all concurrent, but no top resulted in losses over time.  I would say that even with a 10" lip, your bigger problem is the one that gets enough momentum to go over the top so a screen that bounces them back into the water is a must.  Not sure if you have braces on the tank, but I've heard of wrasses that jumped and landed on the lip or braces of tanks and died there as well.

Oh, btw, the flame can be a grade a jerk too, so pick your fish wisely.  Dunno how big your tank is, YHSublime, but if it's not huge, you may want to rethink your combo.  Just do some searches on some of these + the word aggressive on big forums.

Dave, 300 sounds like plenty of space for 3-4, even if it's aggressive, for a fairy wrasse.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm working with a 150 (6') and my stock list is real light atm.