Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Lifespan

nova423

I bought him almost full sized, he molted earlier this week and looked fine.  I guess these guys don't live that long?

Everything else in tank looks fine, checked params this morning and salinity was like .0005 low, maybe that was it?  I heard they can be very sensitive to that.  

Edited by nova423

I've had them for over 5 years. And the current 3 are nearly 3yo. My peppermints are at least 2yo. Low salinity from what reading? I've had them in 1.018-1.026. Like any invert they can be sensitive to a fast change in parameters. Any changes in other water. Nitrate, Ammonia?

Nope, tested everything this morning with salifert, all in the green.   Guess it was just his time.  Salinity checked with refractometer.

The only thing I can think of is I put in a tiny 1/2 inch pistol shrimp last night, but I seriously doubt that tiny guy killed my 3" cleaner shrimp.

I started with 2 in my tank when I  set up my tank 20months ago............1 died after a year.

Now the 1 I have left is the only original livestock from when I set up my tank...........There from the very beginning.

This pair lived and spawned for about 7 years in the late 70s.  But they are not the same shrimp you have.  I am not sure the lifespans are the same but I would imagine they are close.

spawningshrimp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Too long. They are fun to watch but very annoying if you try to target feed any corals.

--

Warren

Yea, to be honest, it was my fiancee more than me that was affected when he died.  I had to make a little coral feeding shield out of the top of a coke bottle when I target fed my corals, otherwise the shrimp would rip the food out of the corals mouths!

On another smellier note, in a hobby where there is no shortage of disgusting smells, dead cleaner shrimp are near the top.