My new favorite tester (salinity)

jacobB89

Black Friday did a lot of folk right around these parts. Interested in this ^.

I'm still looking for a cheaper hobby : /

But how hard is testing salinity on a $20 refractometer really ? I would consider a device for reef parameters since all salifert, red sea, api, etc test suck donkey balls to read correctly.

But how hard is testing salinity on a $20 refractometer really ? I would consider a device for reef parameters since all salifert, red sea, api, etc test suck donkey balls to read correctly.

Very easy!

Touche. My BRS refractometer has been doing me solid since day one.

its not a matter of how hard it is...its just like any modern convenience...its digital and sometimes I have a hard time seeing the numbers in the refractometer (im old) and I love the ease of using it....I have a refractometer and they are dead on with each other...but this is just a nice toy to have...I can do it in the fish room in dim lighting and not have to try to find a brighter light source to see the refractometer etc... 

So this is an electronic refractometer. For some, it's attractive enough to spend money on. Nothing wrong with that.

Hanna does make a multi-test photometer. See this page. Measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, oxygen, pH, phosphate, and copper. Pricey at about $400 - then you have to buy reagents.

How much did it set you back?

80 on black friday worth it imo

not hard i have one as well but this is more convenient and no screw to adjust if needed for zeroing it in. i have hannah checks for main things i got on black friday as well.

its not a matter of how hard it is...its just like any modern convenience...its digital and sometimes I have a hard time seeing the numbers in the refractometer (im old) and I love the ease of using it....I have a refractometer and they are dead on with each other...but this is just a nice toy to have...I can do it in the fish room in dim lighting and not have to try to find a brighter light source to see the refractometer etc... 

agreed

BRS seen me coming on black Friday to say the least lol

So this is an electronic refractometer. For some, it's attractive enough to spend money on. Nothing wrong with that.

Hanna does make a multi-test photometer. See this page. Measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, oxygen, pH, phosphate, and copper. Pricey at about $400 - then you have to buy reagents.

Heck even at 400 bucks with what a lot of people spend trying to get decent test that really isn't all that bad.. For the ability to test for all that it does

Heck even at 400 bucks with what a lot of people spend trying to get decent test that really isn't all that bad.. For the ability to test for all that it does

very true i know some people even send there water out to get it tested from some labs.