Attaching coral to live rock

sen5241b

I want to attach a coral to a piece of LR but the LR is too big and it is supporting other rock so I cannot remove it. How can I glue or attach the coral to a rock like that? Don't like underwater gluing (I've done it) because I am afraid a piece of glue will end up on my glass --forever.

how would glue end up on your glass for ever....razor blade will take it off in minutes.

you can always put the glue on and submerge the glue in an outside container.

epoxy works too

I usually put a blob of gel glue on the coral frag and hold it against the LR for about 30 sec. Works for me very well, since gel glue does not dry out quickly in water. 

Gel superglue blob on the base, stir with toothick underwater, place on base rock and smear into the rock around the base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

how would glue end up on your glass for ever....razor blade will take it off in minutes.

you can always put the glue on and submerge the glue in an outside container.

epoxy works too

I never got glue on my glass and didn't want to find out if it would come off. I've tried super glue under water and it usually does not stick. I have not tried any kind of "gel" glue. What brand has worked?

Super Glue Gel. Regular super glue gel works, and is thicker in constancy. You can pick it up at most dollar stores for $1 for a 2 pack. At any craft store or any other store they'll charge you $2.30+ for 1 pack. Essentially when the glue hits the water, the outer layer of the gel bubble becomes a coat, and it will pop and smear on your rock when you place it down. The last thing you need to worry about is getting glue on your glass. Even glue on rocks can be easily chipped off once dried.

I find the best method is an epoxy super glue sandwich:
Glue a ball of reef epoxy to your frag or plug. Glue another ball of epoxy onto your just made ball of epoxy. Glue the bottom of that, and smudge it onto your rock where you want it, the epoxy and the glue and epoxy will quickly seal to the rock.

BSI IC gel is my favorite (Bulk reef and other places have it, im sure some local vendors do as well)

we did a group buy a while back for a different type that works but is not as nice.

in a bind Superglue Gel works just fine (its just a little more runny than other stuff)

for gel, put a large glob (try to make a big ball comign off the frag)...place it in the water and it will get an outer coating.

push the glue blob down on teh the rock and move it back and forth till some of the glue is stuck on the rock as well, then push and hold firm for 30-40 seconds and let go...if its in direct path of a powerhead you man want to place it in the rock where the rock also supports the position it is held (aka a crevise)

you can also take epoxy, do the same thing with the gel and make a frag holder (i used an empty frag plug to do this and just pulled it out before the epoxy dried.

My method is similar sandwhich method using epoxy putty and gel (acetocrylate - sp??) Super glue.

I roll up a small ball of 2-part epoxy putty like its playdough...activating by mixing. Then I squish it out a bit so it looks like a frag plug without a stem. Then I add gel glue liberally to the top in the middle. Place the frag in glue. I add glue to the underside of the putty and smoosh the frag on the rock. It's messy, but I also smooth out the putty onto the rock to help keep it down around the connecting edges and overall surfaces. I didn't invent this...the method has been used by smarter people than I for a long time. You can do it too...I get glue on my hands but not my glass.

Yeah, nothing worked for me until I found out about the sandwich.  Frag--superglue--epoxy--superglue and then smash it onto the rock. Glue can always be cleaned up later. 

Glue or epoxy alone never really worked for me. 

The super glue sandwich works great. You can use super glue gel only, too. The way I've done it is to put a blob on the coral and swish it in some tank water to form a skin. Then I add another blob of glue and swish it again. I do this several times to get a good sized blob on the frag. Then, when placing it, I'll push this blob onto the rock with a slight twisting motion. This seems to break open the blob and allows the frag to set after a short wait.