Hanna Checkers

RW09903

Hello All,

I am debating if I should proceed with purchasing Hanna Checkers for several parameters. Does anyone have any advice or opinions about these devices?

Thanks

I use the Phosphate one. Having a digital reading instead of trying to watch for a change in color with other test kits is great.

I have used both the Alk and Calc Hanna kits.  In my opinion you only need the Alk in Hanna.  I prefer the Salifert tests for the other parameters (Calc and Mg).

Bruce

Hello All,

I am debating if I should proceed with purchasing Hanna Checkers for several parameters. Does anyone have any advice or opinions about these devices?

Thanks

I have the alk checker and it works very well.

The normal titration test for alk is pretty easy too with no reagents(i use the red sea pro one), just the color change one, but the checker sure is convenient. I find that the checker reads a bit higher than I get on the titration, but it is so consistent at 0.1 meq/l higher than titration that I use it to calibrate my eye for the color change.

Since alk is something that gets checked more often than the others, at least in my tank, the checker is a great way to do it.

I use the alk and phosphate checkers. I really like them although I agree, I think they both read higher than the other kits. 

Also decide whether you want the hi or low range phosphate checker. I have the high, but I wish I had the low. 

I was looking intoo buying the alk and phosphate checker. Maybe the calcium cheker as well. Just wanted to see if anyone had bad experiences with them.

Good: Alk and Phosphorus ULR.

Inappropriate: Iodine (insufficient resolution on this checker to be useful in this hobby.)

Difficult to use / get consistent results: Calcium. I have a different protocol sent to me by Hanna but have not confirmed that it improves this meter's consistency. So, for now, still not recommended.

The ULR Phosphorus checker is frustrating as I haven't gotten the routine of how to put the regents into the cuvettes down yet. Even so, I think Hanna should have come up w/ a better solution then to have someone put those tiny particles into a small opening w/o some help. You're going to get wild #'s until you have it down.

Tom, can you check this thread out regarding this:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/54085-lookup-tables-for-hanna-checkers/?do=findComment&comment=548691

I need your opinion, please. Thanks!

The way I use the ULR reagent is as follows (do this before you take your calibration reading): I flick the packet several times to drive the powder down to one corner. Then I cut along two adjacent sides of the foil packet opposite this corner. Pinch the packet open, creasing a diagonal to the open corner. This forms a funnel-like sluice that fits nicely into the cuvette opening. Set the packet down until you're ready to use it.

I'll check the other thread.