RO/DI Advice

Guest Sachin

Guest Sachin

I was thinking about buying a RO/DI Unit from Ebay

but I am not sure if RO Units come in different qualities

Please give me any advice on the following one available on Ebay (link below)

Let me know if this unit is good or bad

if you know of other brand name RO unit which are known for their water quality

let me know (as long as they do not cost over $200 DOLLARS)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6-stage-125-GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-Water-Filter_W0QQitemZ4426691305QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thank you

Sachin

post-609-1135002165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sachin

I bought one of these from the same seller.

The unit is decent, no leaks, but I did have to get some plumbers putty from Home Despot. Its a generic unit that is available everywhere, and I don't think there will be issues getting replacement filters. It was a pain to set up - bad instructions that while accurate, are very difficult to follow... Also it does NOT do 125 GPD... But that has nothing to do with the unit, it has to do with the filters - principally the RO membrane.

Customer service and communication was terrible. It took weeks to resolve the issue of the unit not even producing 4 gallons of water per day. It came down to the RO membrane, which I had to purchase a new one (he said he'd reimburse me if I sent the other one back at my expense, but I never did). Also he failed to deliver the accessory kit that I had specified. He did sent that at his expense, but it took several emails (I finally had to resort to pictures) to explain what he didn't send, and what I was expecting. Plus I had to leave negative feedback before he was responsive. Also, I thought shipping & handling was a bit high.

Other folks have also complained about this guy, who also goes by devoneb. Some people thought they were getting used units, or ones that had been returned and not even cleaned (dirt in the box, bad packaging).

I learned a lot about RO/DI in the process. It is definitely a must to get one with the storage tank, since the unit will only be effective when it is under pressure. If you just leave the valve open, draining into a bucket or some container, output is slow. You need to turn it off, wait and then turn it back on to get maximum efficiency. I can fill 3 1 gallon jugs, wait 10 minutes and fill another one. The choke point with any RO/DI unit is the RO membrane. Some are rated to do higher GPD, but they won't remove as much stuff.

Not sure if I would buy it again - but only because of the communication and customer service

From my experience with RO/DI systems they are all pretty much the same. Here's why, the RO membranes are the driving factor in the system and are for the most part all made by DOW. So, what you need to look for in a system is that:

1. Sturdy construction

2. Standard sizes for the prefilters and DI filter

3. Reasonable cost

As long as the unit uses the standard filters and RO membrane you are set. I bought an RO/DI system and have ended up bypassing the DI because I didn't see that it really added that much benefit for the hassle of maintaining the DI resin. I have seen no ill effects since I switched from RO/DI to RO.

Some info on RO/DI and chloramine from Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/...ature/index.php

BB

Here is the one I got off ebay - AquaSafe

47949[/snapback]

The base and the first filter unit (the RO one) are exactly the same as mine, which is the same one you are looking at Sachin. This doesn't have the storage tank though, which I think is pretty handy to have, because it increases the pressure.

One thing - you need to have good water pressure for the unit to work effectively (I think that is why having the tank helps). If you have a new house, it's probably set at 44-50 PSI, which is adequate, but still won't get you 125GPD.

Here is the one I got off ebay - AquaSafe

47949[/snapback]

I've got the same unit, but with the storage tank.

Works well enough. A bit of a leak, but a very slow leak. I just keep a large pot under the unit and I empty the pot every few months.

Garrett.

The base and the first filter unit (the RO one) are exactly the same as mine, which is the same one you are looking at Sachin.  This doesn't have the storage tank though, which I think is pretty handy to have, because it increases the pressure.

One thing - you need to have good water pressure for the unit to work effectively (I think that is why having the tank helps).  If you have a new house, it's probably set at 44-50 PSI, which is adequate, but still won't get you 125GPD.

47952[/snapback]

Whether you have a storage tank or not does not affect your house pressure. The tanks sits at the end of the process. What can matter is the back pressure. From the Spectrapure web site on a pump that sits between the storage tank and the membrane to isolate this pressure, this is not for open storage systems, only pressurized:

"A Permeate Pump increases net pressure across the RO membrane by isolating the membrane pressure from the pressure in the product water tank, thereby reducing the permeate back pressure to less than 3 psi. Using a permeate pump with an automatic shut-off valve greatly increases water purity stored in the tank, eliminating TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) creep. "

I have one of the listed units that I brought used. Works well enough, cheap, pain to set up and you have to install valves or the water runs nonstop. Next time I might go brand name, the company seems shifty to me and the installation leaves holes in your pipes.

I did help with pest algae and water quality though. No more chemical treatments for my water.

Bought my 5-stage from wpsinfo on E-Bay. I got the one with clear housings for around $130 shipped. I like clear housing since I can see what kind of shape the sediment and carbons are in... in addition to TDS of course. Also came with a clear refillable DI cartridge. Works fine for me.

Bought my 5-stage from wpsinfo on E-Bay.  I got the one with clear housings for around $130 shipped.  I like clear housing since I can see what kind of shape the sediment and carbons are in... in addition to TDS of course.  Also came with a clear refillable DI cartridge.  Works fine for me.

47965[/snapback]

Well alrighty then,,...I just ordered one of these units, and have not received it yet. It appeared to be a great unit so I will post feed back in a few days. I have to agree with the communication being a problem. I was trying to get pricing from buying a quantity for resale, after beating the H-E-double hocky sticks out of the guy for 5 days he knocked 10 bucks off if I bought a bunch for resale. He also wants to charge me 32 bucks ea to ship, which we all know is BS since he can put them all in one box and pay 50 bucks to ship them all! SO bottom line, I will not be reselling these units but hope to be able to use it at the shop, we shall see.

I have one of the listed units that I brought used. Works well enough, cheap, pain to set up and you have to install valves or the water runs nonstop. Next time I might go brand name, the company seems shifty to me and the installation leaves holes in your pipes.

I did help with pest algae and water quality though. No more chemical treatments for my water.

47963[/snapback]

I've got a few holes in my pipes as well. Good thing I'm a renter :D .

Just kidding. I'll make sure to patch the copper pipes with a bit of electical tape when I leave.

I am ordering another Aqua-safe unit. I had the 75gph unit and ordered a 100 gph system. I never had any problems with it and it always produced 0 tds. The ro membrane just died over the weekend and is not producing any water so I ordered another one.

Guest Kragon

A year ago, I purchased the one oringally on this thread. No problems at all. Easy setup (took me less than 20 minutes) and easy to maintain.

I purchased some additions to include clear filter housings and a TDS meter. After a year with the same filters.. it's still at 155 IN... 3 OUT (good readings).

If you need help setting it up.. give me a yell.

RYan

Guest alex wlazlak

i ended up judt doing the "buy it now" thing cause it was only a couple of bucks more, they even included a free TDS meter, and a storage tank.

Guest Kragon

OK, so I received a TON of PM's about how I setup my RO system. Here's a few pics that should help out.

I ran an independent line (shown entering from the right) of cold water for the system. After the water runs into the system I broke it off (looks kinda like a snakes den) into seperate areas for:

- My main 90

- My 75

- Upstairs RO drinking water

- Kitchen RO drinking water

- Refrig icemaker

The system is rated at 125 gal a day, but can only make around 90 gallons. The filters have been on for 9 months and the IN TDS meter reads 155 the OUT reads .001 (which is really good).

I flush the system around once a month to clear debries from the filters as well.

The installation took all of 20 minutes (already had the tubing ran to my devices). After installation I dumped prob a good 20 gallons before using any of the water.

I do have new clear filter covers that will be installed once I need to change the filter (when the OUT reads .004 or greater).

Pop me a yell if anyone has any questions or wants more pictures. I'm in Falls Church if anyone wants to see how it's all setup.

Ryan

Entire System..

CIMG3157.jpg

Upclose

CIMG3158.jpg

TDS Meter Hook up

CIMG3160.jpg

Hook up for rest of house and tanks

CIMG3159.jpg

Guest Blue Ribbon Koi / Marine

Are those electronic water shut off seloniods? If so where did you get them?

OK, so I received a TON of PM's about how I setup my RO system.  Here's a few pics that should help out.

I ran an independent line (shown entering from the right) of cold water for the system.  After the water runs into the system I broke it off (looks kinda like a snakes den) into seperate areas for:

- My main 90

- My 75

- Upstairs RO drinking water

- Kitchen RO drinking water

- Refrig icemaker

The system is rated at 125 gal a day, but can only make around 90 gallons.  The filters have been on for 9 months and the IN TDS meter reads 155 the OUT reads .001 (which is really good). 

I flush the system around once a month to clear debries from the filters as well.

The installation took all of 20 minutes (already had the tubing ran to my devices).  After installation I dumped prob a good 20 gallons before using any of the water. 

I do have new clear filter covers that will be installed once I need to change the filter (when the OUT reads .004 or greater).

Pop me a yell if anyone has any questions or wants more pictures.  I'm in Falls Church if anyone wants to see how it's all setup.

Ryan

Entire System..

CIMG3157.jpg

Upclose

CIMG3158.jpg

TDS Meter Hook up

CIMG3160.jpg

Hook up for rest of house and tanks

CIMG3159.jpg

48091[/snapback]

Guest Kragon

I think your looking at my electronic TDS meter connections... on the Blue and Red tubes.

Kragon,

Nice! I built a similar setup at my gf's house. I'm running RO/DI water to the reef top-off tank, and just RO water to upstairs kitchen feeding the fridge ice-maker, sink RO faucet, and sink on-demand-hot faucet. This way fish get the cleanest water, and humans get the filtered water (not depleted of all beneficial minerals) This may be a good or a bad thing, depending where you get your info. I just think RO water tastes better than RO/DI.

Question for you - with all those connections, what's your RO/DI water output pressure? You must have a pretty good water pressure to start with. I'm using two holding tanks in line to increase storage capacity, but since I'm going up one floor, the pressure is not that great.

Also, how do you get a TDS reading of .001? You seem to have unfilter reading of 155 (which is about right for this area - I'm getting 170, RO - 6, RO/DI - 4) my DI resin may be already exhausted...

-Rob

PS. Where in Falls Church are you?

Guest Kragon

I haven't measured the pressure, but the longest run is 60 feet and it's a bit slow.. but fills a cup of water just fine. At the input, I've actually had to cut the pressure back going into the system.

As far as the reading, that's 001 from 155. On a bad day... it'll hit 177 with out of 004.

How? -- Don't know... I flush the system every month.. maybe that helps.

Ryan