smallreef

So, I am finishing my coral move tomorrow morning and I need to remove my clam from my 50g, with sand, to the new 150g....

How do I move it without hurting its foot and killing it? It's been doing really well and. Can't wait for it to have more space!

Easy, I'd imagine, just use an old credit card and slowly peel the foot, similar to a nem.

It's better to cut the byssal threads as far from the clam's shell as possible.  It still might get infected but the clam will stand a better chance.  Use a razor blade if possible

I'll have to move a small clam in a few weeks, and welcome suggestions as well. Following along...

It's better to cut the byssal threads as far from the clam's shell as possible.  It still might get infected but the clam will stand a better chance.  Use a razor blade if possible

+1

If it's attached, cut the byssal threads with a sharp razor blade. You can do serious damage to the clam's internal structures if you try to pull it off if it's attached.

Okay. So what I'll try to do is get all of the sand away from it I can and see how it's sitting...I really don't want to kill this beauty as its almost 4 inches end to end...

Lol noooooo..... Though I may take you up on coming over and showing me how to move it...depending on what it looks like...

If you need some help, don't hesitate to let me know.  I'm heading over to Sunwyrm's tomorrow morning and can swing by around 12:30 or so.  I don't have any razor blades though, just checked.

Just do as they said, cut the byssal threads.  Those are the fibrous "webs" that come out of the byssal opening.  Make sure to not pull on them or to damage the byssal organ itself, if you do, the clam will die.

Easiest way to do this is to, as you mentioned, move the sand away from it and then let it lean to a side.  Cut the threads themselves (you can use anything sharp, scissors are pretty easy to use).  If they are attached to the bottom of the tank, then you can use a razor blade to scrape them just as you would algae.

Just do as they said, cut the byssal threads.  Those are the fibrous "webs" that come out of the byssal opening.  Make sure to not pull on them or to damage the byssal organ itself, if you do, the clam will die.

Easiest way to do this is to, as you mentioned, move the sand away from it and then let it lean to a side.  Cut the threads themselves (you can use anything sharp, scissors are pretty easy to use).  If they are attached to the bottom of the tank, then you can use a razor blade to scrape them just as you would algae.

+1  exactly right. don't over think it. as long as there is enough room for a hand it might take twenty seconds. easy peezy ;)

+2
  Yeha', We believe in you. :) lol
 Pretend your taking off a sticker or something similar, off a panel of glass, or even one of a window. lol. Just make sure the Blade is Flat, all along the surface... Nice and Smooth and Clean, .lol. 

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

So i poked at it yesterday, and it was really attached...went to see how much work it would be this morning and poked it again..it had attached itself to a piece of rock! Made it so easy for me :) she must have been ready to move!