Poll: Fresh or Marine for my new tank?

bendeng

Ok. I just scored a sweet 40 breeder from Aquatic Obsession. Its already drilled.

Now. Here are stipulations:

- I have a 10g running with a growing Tiger Oscar, female Convict, and a Brittlenose Pleco. Been running great aside from cloudy water for the past 6 months. Looking to give these kids a bigger home.

- Supposedly I should be getting a 46 bowfront any day now as well.

- Already have a 20xH with a 10g sump I want to make a marine tank... just gotta drill and plumb.

- Very interested in setting up a planted freshwater aquarium...

DECISIONS DECISIONS!

I know yall are mostly marine aquarians but I'd like to get a second opinion... which tank should I use for what?

Ready... GO!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Use the 40b as a frag tank. Use the 10g sump with the skimmer you already have to go with it and I got another 10 sump you can have for the 20XH.

The 46 I'll bring to you soon. I'll also bring you my fluval 206 canister.

Edited by Duke

You can talk to me on Wamas but not in RL? Classy.

Ha! I'd say a marine biotope. The oscar will outgrow a 40 in no time and you'd have to upgrade again (i miss having Oscars!). The bowfront would make a cool planted tank. Just my two cents...

Marine tanks are where its at BUT I have seen come incredible freshs in my time. Run a mechanical filter rated GPH higher than your tank with carbon and floss and I bet your cloudy water goes away.

Do a fresh water planted tank, they can be quite beautiful.

If I'm reading this right you need a biggie home for the Oscar, would like a planted tank and a marine tank.  Here are my thoughts:

-How big is the Oscar?  Unless your doing daily water changes, he probably needs to be moved sooner than later.   Eventually he's going to need a 75g minimum.  

-Putting an Oscar in a planted tank rarely works out, they tend to "rearrange the furniture".   

-Set up the 20gH as a marine tank, but oversize all the equip so it can be moved to the 40g breeder.

-use the 40g breeder for the Oscar, but start looking for a 75g tank for the Oscar as soon as possible. 

-Use the 46g bow front as a planted tank, search "mineralized top soil substrate", then pm me.  I have most of the additives you will need, so all you'll have to buy is a few bags of top soil and a cap substrate.  

-Once you have the Oscar in the 75g, move the marine tank over to the 40g breeder. 

Truthfully, I'd get that Oscar in a bigger tank asap.  Cloudy water in a fw tank is usually a bacteria bloom which lasts a month or so if you don't use a UV to kill it.  If you've had cloudy water for 6 months, it could be the feeding requirements of the Oscar is causing it.  I see your in Gainsville, pm me, I have a small UV.   I haven't used it in a few years, I'll have to see if it's still works, but your welcome to borrow it for a few days to clear up that cloudy water.

Edited by londonloco

If I'm reading this right you need a biggie home for the Oscar, would like a planted tank and a marine tank. Here are my thoughts:

-How big is the Oscar? Unless your doing daily water changes, he probably needs to be moved sooner than later. Eventually he's going to need a 75g minimum.

-Putting an Oscar in a planted tank rarely works out, they tend to "rearrange the furniture".

-Set up the 20gH as a marine tank, but oversize all the equip so it can be moved to the 40g breeder.

-use the 40g breeder for the Oscar, but start looking for a 75g tank for the Oscar as soon as possible.

-Use the 46g bow front as a planted tank, search "mineralized top soil substrate", then pm me. I have most of the additives you will need, so all you'll have to buy is a few bags of top soil and a cap substrate.

-Once you have the Oscar in the 75g, move the marine tank over to the 40g breeder.

Truthfully, I'd get that Oscar in a bigger tank asap. Cloudy water in a fw tank is usually a bacteria bloom which lasts a month or so if you don't use a UV to kill it. If you've had cloudy water for 6 months, it could be the feeding requirements of the Oscar is causing it. I see your in Gainsville, pm me, I have a small UV. I haven't used it in a few years, I'll have to see if it's still works, but your welcome to borrow it for a few days to clear up that cloudy water.

My Oscar is about 3.5" right now. Water parameters are normal but I can't seem to clear up the water (its running LEDs about 12 hrs a day and a Fluval Aquaclear 30 which I clean weekly with water changes.

I'd move the freshwater fish into the 40, although if I had more than one tank, I'd do marine as well (my preference!).  The fish you have, namely the oscar and the plecostomus are already too large for a 10 gallon tank.  I would recommend you ignore what you want to do and instead do what's right for your animals - it's hard to resist what you want to do, but it's what's best.

Absolutely, I want to give these guys a proper home. EVENTUALLY they will get a proper 75g+ home but for now I have to settle between the 40breeder or the 46bow. They are very healthy at the moment so its not an emergency. Like I mentioned earlier, my only issue is cloudy water. (Fwiw: I do weekly water changes, vac the substrate, rinse out the Fluval Aquaclear 30, also changing the filter media once a month)

I'm thinking I will turn the 40b into the Oscar tank. I will convert the 10g into a wet/dry filter.

When I get the 46bow I will begin my freshwater planted.

The 20xH will continue as marine as planned.

NEXT STEP: Build a stand and canopy for the 40b.

My thoughts: 40 breeder for the freshwater setup for now; 46 bowfront for the marine.

If she goes with the 46bow for marine, she'll need an external overflow or find some bits to drill holes with. I'm only leaning towards the 40breeder for marine because it already has holes for bulk heads for us to utilize and the 46bow we'll just run a canister.

If she goes with the 46bow for marine, she'll need an external overflow or find some bits to drill holes with. I'm only leaning towards the 40breeder for marine because it already has holes for bulk heads for us to utilize and the 46bow we'll just run a canister.

Bits are easy. Many of us have them and could easily lend what's needed. Confirm that the glass is not tempered if drilling any tank.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Bits are easy. Many of us have them and could easily lend what's needed. Confirm that the glass is not tempered if drilling any tank.

It was a tank I was going to drill previously. I've found that only the bottom is tempered.

Was thinking with going 3/4 return and 1" drain.

Will that be okay?

It was a tank I was going to drill previously. I've found that only the bottom is tempered.

Was thinking with going 3/4 return and 1" drain.

Will that be okay?

It'll be fine. Pretty standard pipe sizes.

Your up late.

It'll be fine. Pretty standard pipe sizes.

Your up late.

Good to go!

I was thinking the same thing.

Yes. Got to sleep too early after a long day, I guess.

What is freshwater used for?

Right now she's got an Oscar, convict ciclid and a pleco. She wants a bigger home for them in a planted aquarium.

Yes. Got to sleep too early after a long day, I guess.

I'm still convinced very few people in WAMAS sleep.

If you need to get tired out I'll loan you my (almost) 5 yr old for a few hours. hahaha

If you need to get tired out I'll loan you my (almost) 5 yr old for a few hours. hahaha

LOL. No, thank you. Been there, done that. Three times. Enjoy the sleep now. The teen years are coming.

LOL. No, thank you. Been there, done that. Three times. Enjoy the sleep now. The teen years are coming.

Gotcha both beat - a five year old and two teenagers at the same time! All girls. Let me tell you...enjoy the early years!