Evergrow LED choice and braces/shadows

Shoelace

I've been researching what fixtures to get for my standard 180 (72"x24"x24") that has two braces.  Some say I should go for two 32" fixtures and that the brace issue is not a big deal and others say I should go with three 16" or 24" fixtures because of the braces causing shadow.

It seems to me that having three 16" fixtures will automatically cause a gap because of the discontinuity in the LEDs between fixtures.  Three 24" will have better coverage but the fewest number of LEDs.

16" fixture: 55 leds x 3 = 165

24" fixture: 48 leds x 3 = 144

32" fixture: 96 leds x 2 = 192

Could anyone with experience please chime in on this?  I'm planning on SPS only.  Thanks.

two IT2080s with three braces isn't a big deal but you will have some shadowing. whether or not it is a big deal depends on how much things like that bother you. the higher the light will be the less noticeable and thankfully with the evergrows there is so much overlap and LEDs that it really is diminished but i've seen it on a few tanks and it isn't something i would want over my tank (i'm very detailed and meticulous); others don't care. hanging two fixtures instead of three+ is also less work to do with the ceiling mount of a rack of some sort. but no matter what you do, you will have light spread over those braces and shadows will appear even with the smaller fixtures.

what are the measurements between the braces? they have to be less than 24" so you'll still get minimal shadowing even with the fixture very low unless you place them below the brace hovering above the water, which is not recommended for obvious reasons. so if you're worried about the brace, best bet is to do three IT2040s or for enhanced coverage for perhaps an SPS heavy tank in ever nook of that tank, you can do 5 of 6 IT2040s or D2040s along the width/depth of the tank for optimal coverage especially front to back.

don't get caught up in how many LEDs are being used. as long as there is sufficient fixtures covering the basic 24x18" area each IT2040/d2040 will cover you will have more than enough light to grow anything you want. 

you also don't have to fund all your fixtures at once if budget is a concern. it's better to baby step your way to an ideal lighting situation by getting half of them now and placing corals accordingly then down the road get the rest to complete the lighting arrangement then to go and get a bunch of non-programmables for the entire tank if what you really want is to have the sunset/sunrise, remote control, etc features.

I went with 2 pairs of  IT2040's over my 4x3 footprint tank. I know others with a standard 120 have gone with a pair of the IT2040's. Following that trend I'd go with 3 units over you tank. I haven't noticed any shadowing in my system.

what are the measurements between the braces?

Yes, it's 24" between the braces.  Thanks for your explanation, Marcos.  It was really helpful.  The way you worded it got me over my stoopid hangup.  So it is the fact that a 32" fixture would actually have light right over the brace and because the light is evenly distributed over the 32 inches (save for the brace), there would be a shadow.  On the other hand, a 16" fixture would not have light directly over a brace, but light from the fixture could travel "diagonally"  under the brace and with overlap from an adjacent fixture, shadow would be lessened.  Does my rambling make sense?

Anyhoo, I think I am way overthinking this.  It's just when I saw Isaac's setup and that an actual moderator of this site had 2 x 32's, I had to pause :)  Turns out he only has one center brace.

Thanks, everyone.  And the number shall be three.

Anyhoo, I think I am way overthinking this.  It's just when I saw Isaac's setup and that an actual moderator of this site had 2 x 32's, I had to pause :)  Turns out he only has one center brace.

Clown.

But nice choice in lights!

I have the Reef Breeders version (Photon48) over my 90, and the brace is minimally noticeable.  I have it mounted 7-8" above the tank bracing.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, and I'd rather go for fewer units.  Less to muck with.

I like the idea of having fewer fixtures to program, but the possibility of shadows bothers me more. Hmmm. I dunno.

if you have all the fixtures' IR sensor within range of the remote, you can easily program all at the same time from one remote. if your permanent set up does not allow for this, connect them all prior to mounting, face them towards you and program them prior to installation all at once with one remote.

I have the Reef Breeders version (Photon48) over my 90, and the brace is minimally noticeable.  I have it mounted 7-8" above the tank bracing.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, and I'd rather go for fewer units.  Less to muck with.

I also have the 48" Photon. The reason you don't have a noticeable shadow is because that fixture is more like two smaller fixtures with a gap in the middle. My center brace is directly under the gap, so I don't see any shadow from my brace. If our light had LED's across the whole bottom, you would certainly see shadowing.

As long as it's not under 6" from the tank, I wouldn't worry too much.  Yes, mine does have a break in the LEDs where the brace is, but again, I wouldn't worry about it.  Even if it shadows a little, it's a chance for you to create natural breaks in the rock work.

Even if it shadows a little, it's a chance for you to create natural breaks in the rock work.

Solid advice.