Bone Cutters, what's your choice?

YHSublime

I'm getting ready to order some bone cutters, and these appear to be the best ones I can find for the price, although I know they make them cheaper and smaller. Should I just ebay a pair of cheap ones and be done with it? Or is there a really high level of quality that will make a difference?

Depending on what your opinion is, what do you recommend, what do you not recommend? I've considered getting a coral fragging kit, but I believe that lps can be done with a scalpel, which I already have, and all sps can be done with whatever new tool I purchase, the rest I'll probably never use. 

I can't tell what type those are from the picture, but the ONLY way to go is with a roller style clipper as seen here:http://www.marinedepot.com/Dissekt_Rite_Cutting_Shear_6_inch_Coral_Propagation_Tools_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Dissekt_Rite_(Dr._Instruments)-DR1121-FIMTCP-DR1121-vi.html

Those are just an example, but you really want ones with a roller and nothing else.  The others, especially the coiled spring, just rust and seize up very quickly.  I've had my roller style for about 3 years and have no issues at all.  Either way, rinse with FW after each use.

They have the ones l8 2 rise posted at BRK. I picked up a set last week. They are my favorite as they don't have the rust issue especially if you give them a quick rinse in the sink after each use.

That looks to be the same thing as what he posted, just a different brand, but same style.  I will say that those are good for cutting up most SPS.  

I have a pair of those and also have a a pair of some other bone cutters that are semi-circular shaped on both ends of the blades.  When they close they close into a circle.  This makes cutting colonies of LPS a little easier as they cause the skelteon to fracture on the first clamp.  While the other cutters force you to chomp through it like it's a piece of meat.  The down side them is they have a really wide blade and that makes it really hard to get them into tight places.  They also are not intended to cut as much as they are intended to break the bone.  Sorry, I wish I knew what they were called. k-flex?  lol?  :)

They are similar but have a different spring mechanism.

That looks to be the same thing as what he posted, just a different brand, but same style.  I will say that those are good for cutting up most SPS.  

I have a pair of those and also have a a pair of some other bone cutters that are semi-circular shaped on both ends of the blades.  When they close they close into a circle.  This makes cutting colonies of LPS a little easier as they cause the skelteon to fracture on the first clamp.  While the other cutters force you to chomp through it like it's a piece of meat.  The down side them is they have a really wide blade and that makes it really hard to get them into tight places.  They also are not intended to cut as much as they are intended to break the bone.  Sorry, I wish I knew what they were called. k-flex?  lol?  :)

They are similar but have a different spring mechanism.

Thanks all. So everyone is in agreement that L8 2 Rise posted (or style of) is the way to go.

I use my handy Leatherman to cut corals and sometimes nails and wire. I even use it on my car and bike.

Bone cutters are terrible for working on cars, bikes, and cutting nails.

I've been using a tack-hammer of late. I saw a youtube video of a guy taking a small hammer (it looked like a geologist's hammer actually) to his corals and the effortless fragging prompted me to buy a small tack hammer from Harbor Freight tools. It's actually a lot easier to snap off a thick coral branch this way rather than having to bear down, squeezing on the handle of a pair of bone cutters (which I also own). I wish that I could find the video to share it....

I use my handy Leatherman to cut corals and sometimes nails and wire. I even use it on my car and bike.

Bone cutters are terrible for working on cars, bikes, and cutting nails.

I've got a leatherman. I'm not sure if it would rust pretty quick. Actually, I'm not even sure where it is. What type, Rob, there are 100's of different types!

this is pricey but man... when they do stuff... they do it with style... imagine... your own bamboo frag cutting board

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/propagation-kit/

Yeah, that's a kit I wouldn't mind showing off, but probably way overpriced, maybe an expensive Christmas gift on my list of "wants" not "needs." Unfortunately, things are more so about "needs" these days, so I might end up leatherman style like Rob ;)

I've been using a tack-hammer of late. I saw a youtube video of a guy taking a small hammer (it looked like a geologist's hammer actually) to his corals and the effortless fragging prompted me to buy a small tack hammer from Harbor Freight tools. It's actually a lot easier to snap off a thick coral branch this way rather than having to bear down, squeezing on the handle of a pair of bone cutters (which I also own). I wish that I could find the video to share it....

I would like to see that. I'm still inbetween getting all my corals placed, and I would like to frag some to hand out to other members in case my tank goes South.

I've considered getting a coral fragging kit, but I believe that lps can be done with a scalpel, which I already have, and all sps can be done with whatever new tool I purchase, the rest I'll probably never use. 

just out of curiosity.....do you mean a scalpel or an exacto knife?  

just out of curiosity.....do you mean a scalpel or an exacto knife?  

I mean a scalpel :) I have a medical grade scalpel I've used for just about all the lps I've fragged, although I imagine an exacto would be just as good.

so the scalpel came after the tank....just making sure....gotta keep an eye on you non-accent having aussies

I also provide black market priced organs in order to fund the tank, it's a 2 edged sword, or scalpel, whatever, you get the picture. Want to buy a kidney?

I also provide black market priced organs in order to fund the tank, it's a 2 edged sword, or scalpel, whatever, you get the picture. Want to buy a kidney?

You always know what I'm getting at don't ya haaaaaaaa

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I use a Titanium Leatherman because it doesn't rust.

Does it truly not rust, Rob? Not even at the hinge point? There's so much variation in the quality of titanium coated tools and I've not really found one that I'm satisfied with.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk