Ed's 40B

Shoelace

The voice of reason.

Take the 40b as far as you can, which will take a few years.  If you want at that point change the 180 into a reef.  My rule is 1 saltwater tank at a time.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Thank you Bowie-Won Kenobi, you're my only hope. Don't worry, everyone. My resolve is pretty strong. But I appreciate the enthusiasm!

Save for the tank itself and the lights, I have everything else: skimmer, pump, heater, controller, vortech. So I see myself sinking about $500 in equipment which is reasonable for me right now. I going to do a big fire sale of stuff I've collected over the years so hopefully I can break even.

If I prove to myself that I can keep this 40B, then a couple of years down the line, the 180 will be reborn. Yes, it will be. In the meantime, swim mbuna, swim!

Thank you Bowie-Won Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Hilarious.

This thread is my favorite so far.

Or sell EVERYTHING and go for the 300DD..... Just saying... 

Btw, did you have to Mod the tunze 9002 to fit.? I have the Nuvo 24 and have thought about that skimmer.. Im currently skimmerless, didnt like the IM, and I bought the CADlights, but it didnt fit.

OMG OMG OMG, is that real?!?!?!?

It must be real.  I found it on the Internet!

Orion just pulled the blast shield down on me and I couldn't see a thing... sorry.

Btw, did you have to Mod the tunze 9002 to fit.? I have the Nuvo 24 and have thought about that skimmer.. Im currently skimmerless, didnt like the IM, and I bought the CADlights, but it didnt fit.

So the stock Tunze 9002 cup does not fit (it's round).  I had to get this: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Standard-Upgraded-Cup-Tunze-9002-TNZCUP.htm

I did the airline mod and made an egg crate "stand" to keep the skimmer at a reasonable height.

Orion just pulled the blast shield down on me and I couldn't see a thing... sorry.

So the stock Tunze 9002 cup does not fit (it's round).  I had to get this: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Standard-Upgraded-Cup-Tunze-9002-TNZCUP.htm

I did the airline mod and made an egg crate "stand" to keep the skimmer at a reasonable height.

Good to know.. How do you like it and how does it perform.? Also is it quiet.?

Edited by trockafella

Meesa think it's pretty good. Me bioload is fairly low so I'm only pulling tea, though.

How come fan art is better than the real thing sometimes? With Lucas that was almost always true. With JJ Abrams, I think we will boldly go where Star Wars has never gone before.

Anyone else think that reefing and geeking are in the same spectrum?

It's starting to look more like a reef setup now.  I think I'm going to put all my electronics and controller in a separate IKEA cabinet off to the side.  I've always had my electrical in the stand, but I realize that it's probably more convenient and safer to have it all in a separate cabinet.  The only concerns I have is that it does not look as clean and I will have to have a conduit pipe of some sort to run the wires from the tank to the cabinet.  Also, some of my cords might not be long enough, but I will figure that out later.

Any pointers in general???

PA170002_zps6f0562e4.jpg

So far what I have:

Marineland 40B display

Marineland 15G sump

All-Glass 36x18 stand

Ikea Besta Electrical Cabinet

Reef Octopus BH50 Skimmer (rated for 50G)

Marineland MaxiJet NJ1800 return (474 GPH)

Vortech MP10 (from Nano)

Aqueon 100W Pro heater

ReefKeeper Lite (may switch with Apex from Nano)

Tunze Osmolator

BRS Dosing Pumps for B-Ionic

AquaUV 8W UV Sterilizer

Bean Animal 12" Overflow

3/4 inch return

30-40# BRS Reef Saver Rock

1" Special Grade Sand

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

Did you take a picture of the aquascape you wanted, and tape it to the back of the tank?

Awesome idea.

Thanks. Yeah, there is this guy Andre Silvestre who makes amazing aquascapes and I am using one of his for inspiration (or perhaps to blatantly copy as a sincere form of flattery).

(edited)

I am feeling weak right now.  A salty 180 would look really good right now.  Where are those cookies?

5626381_std.jpg

Edited by Shoelace