Backdrop

Joshifer

Cost me two bucks. Dollar for wrapping paper dollar for tape.

Yes I know it isn't permanent itll get wet and moldy. But can change it out when it looks ugly. Or just get sick of it. Maybe I went too dark should've tried teal. Whatever the case it looks alot neater. Just wish I could hide all those pumps and filter tubes.

Well since your here anyway. The center is very empty. I want about 18 inch tall pillar. Would white unpainted ceramic work? Without cement in it. Orrrrr terracotta? like a big terracotta vase and bust it egg crate. Zip ties And let it age in there. The coraline will hide the zip ties eventually.

df4c81006bdbdfc731fd96439f2d525a_zps1add

Edited by Joshifer

Another option for backing that'll last longer than paper is foam board.

Yep or paint. That's a bit more permanent though..

Have you thought of just making a tower from dry rock with reef epoxy?

That'll work too. It's more of a craft thing to keep busy then anything lol. I was thinking about making an oddly shaped tower out of PVC pieces and acrylics drenching in reef safe silicone and rolling in crushed coral. It'll be easier then the terracotta idea I had. But I don't think it'll work biologically it'll be more aesthetic.

Shadowbox! If you want a craft project to do and you are trying for a cool background. Google reef tank shadowbox.

These are pretty neat.

I used window tint on the back of my tank and love the result. It is not permanent, and only cost a few bucks. I doubt you could get a good result on a tank that is full of water and against a wall though.

As for the pillar idea, you should check out the GARF site (http://www.garf.org/newreef/arag.html)and look at how they make DIY reef rock. I did some following their example and was very pleased with the results. I posted a thread about it here:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/54784-diy-reef-rock-formed-to-an-overflow/

I was thinking about making an oddly shaped tower out of PVC pieces and acrylics drenching in reef safe silicone and rolling in crushed coral.

Justin did this in his 500g display.  Not the best looking now, but it will look awesome when covered in corals.  He used a heat gun to bend the PVC pipe then covered it in crushed coral mixed with a 2 part reef safe epoxy.

IMG_1063.jpg