Which superglue? Newbie Question

Enkay

Which super glue (brand name etc) do you use to glue your corals to rocks?

I used one which was a gel but the dang thing wouldnt dry. Also, do you have to dry out the surface area before you glue it?

Sorry if this sounds very silly but I thought I would rather ask than experiment.

Thanks!

BRS Extra Thick and IC-Gel are both great.  I've been using the BRS Extra Thick in bottle form lately, which I like much better than getting glue in the tube.

In my extremely limited experience (and I readily admit I haven't experimented much), I find gel superglue to be a pain. I guess I expected to just blob it on wet surfaces out of water and they would stick quickly and tight. Sandwiching with epoxy works better I hear, but I want easy.

Do these glues dry quickly? I think I tried with the one from the dollar store (which my wife had gotten) and it would dry for a long time. I was scared the corals would not survive out of water for that long so I abandoned the idea.

Thanks!

Do these glues dry quickly? I think I tried with the one from the dollar store (which my wife had gotten) and it would dry for a long time. I was scared the corals would not survive out of water for that long so I abandoned the idea.

Thanks!

They "skin over" when they get wet with salt water. For a hard coral like SPS, I'll take a frag and run a healthy bead of gel along one long side, hold it to the plug or a piece of rubble, and then sink it underwater while still holding it for a minute or so. In that time, the glue sets on the surface enough to secure the frag. Mound the frag on it's side and it'll encrust and branch more quickly than one that's mounted upright (like a tree in the ground).

Thank you Tom. I will try that tonight and see how it works.

Steve, if it doesnt, then a trip to springfield is in my cards :).

Thanks all!