Pick one temperature setting... only one.

Shoelace

I'm hijacking my thread: so for those of you with Apex's (Apexi?), do you set the parameters with non-overlapping temps for the heater and chiller ranges, or do your ranges overlap with hysteresis and/or min time settings?

These are really interesting points about temp and power outages. I agree with a nano it's not really an issue but with a big tank with a large thermal mass, a couple of degrees may buy you a couple more hours of life during an outage.

Both interesting points. I'm apparently lazy, though. I just have mine set to 78 even. The temperature in the house is always kept less than 78 and the tank is in the basement, so I've never run a chiller on the big tank - only heaters.

This is what I have for my heater on the apex....

Fallback ON 

Set OFF 
If Temp < 79.0 Then ON 
If Temp > 79.5 Then OFF 
If Outlet Pump_3_3 = OFF Then OFF 
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF 

Why didn't I think of shutting off the heater when the return pump is off? Genius.

Ryan, I don't know the "Power" command. What does that do?

Why didn't I think of shutting off the heater when the return pump is off? Genius.

Ryan, I don't know the "Power" command. What does that do?

I have a 12v power supply connected to the APEX, and the APEX EB8 is plugged into a battery backup.  The 12v power supply will detect if power is lost in the home.  Every outlet has the If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF command except for the MP10.  This will make sure that only the MP10 will run in the event of a power outage as I don't want everything running draining the battery backup quickly.  

Also, a small router is connected to the battery backup so I can still receive email/text alerts when the power goes out.

Edited by Orion

I have a 12v power supply connected to the APEX, and the APEX EB8 is plugged into a battery backup.  The 12v power supply will detect if power is lost in the home.  Every outlet has the If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF command except for the MP10.  This will make sure that only the MP10 will run in the event of a power outage as I don't want everything running draining the battery backup quickly.  

Also, a small router is connected to the battery backup so I can still receive email/text alerts when the power goes out.

Nice tip!

The MP10 only uses 8-18 watts of power, and I believe the power supply is rated up to 800 or 900 watts. So power to the MP10 will last awhile.  Picked it up at Costco for $89.99 which is much cheaper than a brand new battery backup from Ecotech.

I tested it once just running the MP10 and after 6 hours I was still at 80% capacity.

Edited by Orion

I would add a couple of thoughts to this...

1- Stability is the key to growth... the exact temperature doesn't matter a ton as long as its within normal ranges.  If you check out surface temp data for reefs worldwide, its quite variable.

2- The counter to this issue is that corals grown in very stable temp ranges can't handle larger swings as well. you tend to get die-off faster when you have an abnormal temp swing.

That said, I aim to keep mine around 78-80 with alarms set at 81 and 76.

pick an appropriate range and try to keep it there. however, take into account the fish you keep. some fish may prefer it a bit on side of subtropical for long term health. if I could keep mine this low consistently, i'd go with 77/78. my tank is normally about 80...plus or minus 1

hmmm i turn off PH when I feed most times but never my return....but even still I don't get it...how long would it have to be on for the tank temp to rise just when feeding...I may be being dense...lol...but I dont get it. 

I rarely look at the thermometer, but if I see my fish sweat, I know it is to hot.  Of course if they sweat to much it could overflow the tank. :huh: