Warren's 90 gallon Zeovit tank

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It's always going out of town when something happens.  Alk dropped to about 6, maybe a little under.  My Tubbs birdsnest started to peel.  Grr.  Otherwise all is well.

12401660994_943f0b31a8_b.jpg

My porcelain anemone crab found the only anemone I have!  You'll have to forgive his dirty shell.  It's about time to molt, it looks like.

12401661804_2666053084_b.jpg

Jaws, the blue spot, out from his cave.

12401660524_d284e005fa_b.jpg

Leng Sy like monti, with a little frag of a purple cap on it.  I'm probably going to let this one go.  Not in love.

12401660024_77fb166b96_b.jpg

My what a long fin you have!

12401659434_f1e4f20383_b.jpg

More shots.

Red Dragon from Copps.

12401395185_ba394dcef7_b.jpg

ORA Tricolor from Marine Scene

12401541713_c56cbb3c00_b.jpg

Red Planet.  Slow grower, but it's encrusting away.

12401846354_19aa0098a3_b.jpg

From PEAC @ the last meet:

12401847084_729c0acb81_b.jpg

Thanks Paul!  Bad Azz:

12401398575_a64a504a39_b.jpg

Nice get on the clam! Great pics, thanks for the update. I enjoy that crab getting comfy in a nem.

I like your monti with purple on it, you should let that grow out. That's a great picture of the anemone crab, he gets any bigger and he won't fit on top of his anemone.

Tank is looking great. fwiw I was never able to get the green/purple base on the hologram monti to color up.  It's def one of the hardest monti to get base colored up.  Obviously your tank is great since it's growing so fast.

I find the mystic sunset more appealing b/c the polyps look the same but the base is much more vibrant.

How do you keep the sand so clean? Is it because of the Zeovit system?

I dunno. I have some ceriths and nassarius to stir the sand. Plus my melenarus and jawfish stir it as well. I've seen plenty of cyano complaints in Zeovit tanks, so my sand condition probably cannot be attributed to that. Maybe it's the water movement. 1 WP40 and WP25 at full power else mode.

--

Warren

Tank is looking great. fwiw I was never able to get the green/purple base on the hologram monti to color up.  It's def one of the hardest monti to get base colored up.  Obviously your tank is great since it's growing so fast.

I find the mystic sunset more appealing b/c the polyps look the same but the base is much more vibrant.

Which coral are we talking about here?  The Leng Sy like one?  I just don't like the sort of pale green that it is in my tank.  I do have a decent purple rim around it.  I just moved it down low yesterday to see what happens there. In its place, I put my green plating cap with red polyps.  Dunno which variety of it that I have.

I love the polyps on my mystic sunset, but the base is sort of meh for me.  I think it's because it's kind of growing in a funny spot and isn't getting a ton of light.  I was hoping it would spread up, not plate out.

There's a coral that's hard to see, since I don't like to picture it.  It's on the magnetic rock on the back.  It's a montipora peltiformis that got thrown in as a freebie.  I heard that it the base would lighten up if blasted by light.  The purple polyps are beautiful, but the base is ugly.  Not for me.  I can't really dose zeospur much since my corals are already light, so this is another that is probably going away when I get the chance to pull it off and sell/give it away.

I was NOT talking the cap.  I was talking the half blue polyped monti (on page #2 of this thread).  I thought it was a hologram monti in your tank based on the browned out base.  A true mystic sunset is much easier to color up than the hologram one ime. 

Tanks looks fantastic.  Which zee products are you dosing?

A lot...  More than I want to add up, probably, but the main ones are:

Very seldom:

Zeobak

Sponge Power

Zeofood7

K-Balance strong

Iodide

Iron

Strontium

Staples for me:

ZeoStart3 (this one is key!)

Coral Vitality (needs refrigeration)

Xtra

LPS amino

SPS amino

Dosed 2 times:

Zeospur2: This stuff is truly scary.  Most of my corals are already light, so it's rare that I dose Zeospur.  I could see how it would easily wipe out a tank if dosed too much.  Even when I did it, I only used half at most!

Overall, I'm not sure why people blame tank crashes on the Zeovit system.  I have a lot going in and a lot going out in terms of nutrients.  You CAN starve your corals by going ULNS and then dosing Zeospur on top, but IMO, it's not a requirement to run the KZ stuff.  It's just one more method of nutrient control and carbon dosing.  For me, I enjoy it, because I'm a tinkerer.  Always have been, so this suits me well.  If you want low maintenance, there are probably better ways.  I will say though, that this method allows you to start up an SPS tank in very short order.

I was NOT talking the cap.  I was talking the half blue polyped monti (on page #2 of this thread).  I thought it was a hologram monti in your tank based on the browned out base.  A true mystic sunset is much easier to color up than the hologram one ime. 

I've come to the conclusion that either I got a crappy version of a mystic sunset, or it wants different light.  It's definitely a reddish brown.  I don't think it's a hologram monti at all.  I may frag this and move it, or try another frag. I see brilliant red on a few tips of mine.

Nice!  I can't wait to see what you can do with the bad azz!   On the cap, I would either move it towards the sand or find a nicer coral to put in its place, that high par high flow area could grow a sweet looking acro instead!  Love the tank, very clean and looks even better in person.

New experiment.  Orange tree sponge from Incredible Corals.  Figured there should be enough crap floating around between the zeovit reactor pumping, sponge power, and feeding frozen.  Picked up a Miami Hurricane and what looks just like the WWC Rainbow Boobies chalice (I don't make these names up) while I was there.  Also picked up a killer chalice from Ben @ Petland.

My red velvet fairy wrasse and jawfish are fighting on occasion.  Usually at night, when I attempt to feed the corals.  It's quite the display.  Pinky, the wrasse will flash, and circle, and his colors change dramatically, and he gets these crazy purple stripes instantly.  I wish I could film it, but it's all LED actinics.  Meanwhile, Jaws, the jawfish, gapes with his mouth open, which seems to just %$#* off Pinky.  Last night, my wife and I watched Jaws lunge a few times threateningly, and Pinky had enough.  He grabbed Jaws by his back and just held him there for a second, and then spit him back into his hole.  Poor Jaws.  Pinky forgot to read the page on how cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis are peaceful community fish.  He also the only darn wrasse that comes out at night.  He'll actually leave his mucus bubble if he smells food in the water.  What a pig.

Speaking of aggression, that is one seriously aggressive word filter.

It keeps the pirates in check. Myself included.

That's a bummer about the aggression. I just lost one of my flames in QT due to something similar. Keep an eye on it, hope you don't have to choose in between one or the other...

It keeps the pirates in check. Myself included.

That's a bummer about the aggression. I just lost one of my flames in QT due to something similar. Keep an eye on it, hope you don't have to choose in between one or the other...

I don't think the aggression is a big deal.  I chalk it up to fish being fish.  I'll just stop feeding the cyphastrea that's part of the jawfish's home.  It's pale, which is why I've been trying to feed it, but I think it's just pale because it wants less light.  Spreads like a weed though.

• 1 month later...

I'm venting a bit.  Stupid red velvet fairy wrasse just ate a pistol shrimp.  Argh.  I love how he looks, but sometimes, I really want to get rid of him.  I was trying to add 2 more Randall's pistol shrimps to help stir the sand, and I added a second male yasha to pair with my female.  Instead, the female that I had first has vacated the hole, and is homeless.  I was hoping she'd at least pair up with a new pistol shrimp.  I think the second one made it out ok, but I saw my female clown hunting around where it went.

Grr.  I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Herbie overflow

10052849564_0598f89109_c.jpg

Sump pictures

10069600155_fd21112fa6_c.jpg

10069601645_7167a241f7_c.jpg

This picture shows that the hose isn't properly secured onto the pipe. The clamp has been placed over the barbs which will result in a leak because they are sharp and the hose can be cut by the clamp. Push the hose all the way down to the end of the fitting and put the clamp on below the barbs.

This picture shows that the hose isn't properly secured onto the pipe. The clamp has been placed over the barbs which will result in a leak because they are sharp and the hose can be cut by the clamp. Push the hose all the way down to the end of the fitting and put the clamp on below the barbs.

I agree.  I actually didn't setup the sump, and I would do it quite a bit differently.  I plan on replacing the pump with a Jebao DC12000 :P  I'm not actually going to push it hard.  I just got a big one because I thought that I might tee it off and use it to push water for a water change, and because the cost difference between the 6000 and 12000 is minimal.  I figure running the big one at a lower setting will be quieter.

Oh I understand...i am the exact opposite, I was almost hoping that my wrasse wold eat my sexy shrimp,lol

I wish I could keep some sexy shrimp.  I don't dare try.  Pretty much all of my fish would attempt to eat sexy shrimp.

• 1 month later...

Having my first problems with the tank :(  I'm getting RTN/STN lately, and I haven't figured out why yet.  7 months of bliss, and the last few weeks have been challenging.  Going to start doing some additional water changes, and I'm getting my water tested by AWT.