Suggestions for feeding a shy goby?

AlanM

I got my Randalls goby on Saturday afternoon, and I haven't seen him eat anything yet.  I assume they were feeding him at QR as they'd had him for around a week, according to Vince. 

I have frozen mysis, but even with the powerheads off they blow around and he doesn't get them.  If I try to get close to him with the turkey baster and blow them towards him, he retreats from the small blast.   I have some Cobalt pellets and some Instant Ocean pellets, but again, even with the powerheads off they don't make it to him in his cave.  I assumed he would eventually be out exploring and might pick up stuff on the sand, but I haven't seen that yet. 

What should I do?  Any suggestions about different pellets or food to try?

Have any Roggers on hand?  Any shy/new fish that I have put in the tank has always gone after that stuff.

Have any Roggers on hand?  Any shy/new fish that I have put in the tank has always gone after that stuff.

I dont have that. Aquarium One has lots of frozen food, and I could get to there today, but they dont carry Roggers. They do have Rods and other stuff like that. I was thinking maybe something with chunks that could sit near him but not so large that it wouldnt go in his mouth.

I've had this issue before. I say just give it some time, eventually he's going to get hungry and eat. Nothing to worry about  :cool:

Ill try not to worry.

It's not a Rogger's or not Rogger's food thing..Just give it time. I suggested in your build thread to shoot the food in or near the burrow and call it a day. It could weeks before it will feel comfortable and feed the way you are used to seeing it eat. Mine took over 3 weeks to even feel comfortable being out at the perch of the burrow after introduction. But..on the other hand, my first goby didn't make it because I don't believe it did eat after introduction. So only time will tell.

Sorry for the multiple posts..I swear I only hit "reply" once.

Edited by howaboutme

Well, thanks, I guess, howaboutme. Sorry your goby didnt make it. I did just try turning off the powerheads and directing the returns away and slowly pushing mysis towards his hideyhole. I think I did see him moving around and grabbing stuff, so maybe thats good.

I also got a little Randalls striped pistol shrimp at the same time. I dropped him in on the top of rock mountain instead of on the sand,like I said in my build thread, and havent seen him since the first night. I am looking around for hills, heh. If he/she finds the sand and gets to work it should be easy to locate. Especially if it's as industrious as paulb's.

I believe they are known for being potentially difficult fish, with that said you could try some live black worms, not much will turn those down.

Thanks, Travis. I will ask around for who has some locally.

Thanks, Travis. I will ask around for who has some locally.

If you don't have any luck locally, I can pick some up and meet up with you somewhere. I know there are few places close to me who carry them. Or you can have a good excuse to hit up the LFS around NOVA.

Heh.  I like to go to those stores.  I've been to Marine Scene, QR, and BRK, and I want to check out F&F, but all of them are kind of a haul to make during the work day and evenings are out for me because I'm on kid duty.  It's either take leave and make it a 2.5 hour lunch or convince the wife to let me have a few hours on a weekend.

Well, thanks, I guess, howaboutme. Sorry your goby didnt make it.

Just to clarify, my current goby is doing well. My first was a pink/blue striped goby and didn't make it but my current, a regular ywg, is awesome. After posting here to determine what may have happened, I can only assume that it just wasn't meant to be and there wasn't much I could have done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

He's either settling in or getting desperate.  My wife is working from home today at a desk next to the tank and said she heard a splash and saw him up near the surface, heh. 

I told her to put a lid on her coffee.

He's scarce now, again, and not in his previous hidey-hole.  I picked up some medium sized NLS pellets and some Rod's food to see if he'll like those.  My wife said he was doing somersaults near the powerheads earlier, but was still alive and kicking.

I've had this issue before. I say just give it some time, eventually he's going to get hungry and eat. Nothing to worry about  :cool:

+1.

Simple solution is often the best. I don't agree that having a particular brand of food will make a fish eat if it doesn't want to.

Thanks, Rob. Either he will come out and eat or he wont. Same with Mr Shrimp.

He is a good hider. I thought I left spots on the three sides for me to see under all the rocks, but I dont see him. Hope he isnt crab food in the sump.

I do have a super shy goby also. He hides all day every day. Occasionally I see him during feeding frozen brine and mysis shrimp. My power head sucks the shrimp down and the tank looks like the money machine with the shrimp blowing everywhere. Fish can live a week without food. Don't be too afraid of he skips a couple meals. If he skips more than a couple come up here and buy a portion of live brine on Wednesday or Thursday befor they run out. It 1.50 a portion it's a few meals worth.

Shy goby is no more. 

In all his activity earlier today he made it over the weir, down the full siphon, but not quite into the sump.  He got stuck at the gate valve.  The full siphon pipe, which is valved almost all the way down in a BeanAnimal overflow, is merciless on fish.  I opened the valve to check if he was in there, and his body came out.  No more small fish for me for a while until I get some gutterguard or something over that weir, I think.  The water height is only 3/16 inch over the edge of the weir, but I guess that was enough.

After my fairy wrasse, red fromia star and then finally my hippo tang went exploring my corner overflow I added some gutter guard. Took one piece and then zip tied a few other small pieces onto it and wedge it over the lip. Pita trying to get fish outta there...the star was probably the hardest...only other inhabitant back there is a hermit crab that keeps it pretty detritus free...might need to drop a new shell in there one day for him.

Posted Image