I won the lottery....I think..

Joshifer

I can't say that I blame him for bowing out. I don't need every thread to be about cycling and skimmer comparisons - keeps it interesting. There's no need to even click on a thread that you don't think will be relevant.

I was curious to hear about this tank - he has mentioned it before. Could have made for awesome daily reading! Recently, my favorite threads have been the Joshifer threads...kind of addicting. :)

I totally agree. There is also a function that allows you to not even see people's threads. If you don't want to see a person's content just filter it out.

I would keep the tank you have josh and take all the rock, sand and equipment for this set up and store it for down the road... Sell the love stock and fish off... This could be a great build for in the future after you establish those reeding skills.

Josh, I would take the larger tank and just go fish only with it. Sell the corals and equipment you don't need and buy the salt to last you for a few years with the profits. After a year if you wanted to add some softies you could. It must be an amazing tank for $50k because that seems really high for an average 500g system. I would love to see pictures of it.

I'm sorry you've lost interest in the club because of some of the members here but if you need any help or advice feel free to PM me.

I totally agree. There is also a function that allows you to not even see people's threads. If you don't want to see a person's content just filter it out.

Is that true?  Ignore just hides the posts, but still shows the threads.  If that person posts on another thread it even shows the posts, but not the content and replaces it with a "you are ignoring this person want to see it anyway?" message.

Is there a different function that lets you totally filter it out?

Edited by AlanM

I know one thing that is keeping me from getting a much larger tank is the amount of time, and effort that has to be dedicated towards maintaining one.  With a smaller tank < 60 gallons, it doesn't tank long to do a quick 5 gallon water change, wipe the glass, mix up some new saltwater, and call it a day.  This gives me more time to enjoy my tank, and have more family time.  

I know one thing that is keeping me from getting a much larger tank is the amount of time, and effort that has to be dedicated towards maintaining one.  With a smaller tank < 60 gallons, it doesn't tank long to do a quick 5 gallon water change, wipe the glass, mix up some new saltwater, and call it a day.  This gives me more time to enjoy my tank, and have more family time.  

+1

The one thing about tank size is..

It's not the size of the tank that counts, but what you do with it.

I've seen 12g tanks that look amazing and 120g that look like crap.

The more I work on my tank the happier I am with the size (65g) that i went with. For all the reasons stated above.

+1 I really wish I had a smaller tank whenever I think about doing maintenance. But then I watch my fish race all around having fun in 8' and there's no way.  :scuba:  Lol I'm in over my head.

Another big factor is he said he is renting, I would definitely be clearing this with the landlord first.  A lot of landlords would not be okay with a tank this big.

I think this is the most important consideration in this case. 500g is way to big for an apartment, maybe it would work in a house, but I doubt any landlord would be OK with 500g of saltwater in their place.