Korilia pump died

paul b

I really hate badly designed machinery, it drives me crazy.
This Korilia pump is only a couple of years old.  The plastic bearings are shot.
I had to replace it with one of my 30 year old powerheads like the one pictured.  Those things last forever.
I will try to rebuild this Korilia but I will eventually have to replace it with something better.  They don't make good powerheads any more so it is going to be a problem finding something that is made well.
I doubt there are any American Manufacturers any more so I will have to build something out of parts which is a pain. :mad: 
2013-08-12105933_zpsd65ad9ec.jpg

Paul, I have a feeling you'll be able to build a better power head than any that is on the market currently...of course it will be better American made parts, which probably aren't available anymore,, as almost apeverything is made in china or Mexico..but I can honestly say koralia's are easy to pull apart and replace pieces,,,

That's hysterical if that's an old Aquaclear. I use one to mix my saltwater then pump the water into the tank for water changes. I was just looking at mine yesterday after a water change and realized that I've had it for 21 years. I bought it to run the under gravel filter on my first saltwater tank. I thought to myself dang this thing is old, but still runs like a champ. The label on it says Askoll made in Italy.

I had 5 of those old pumps, 4 are still running and 3 of them have been running continousely for maybe 30 years, the last one I use for mixing water but that also ran for about 28 years with no problems or maintenance.  Thats tha pump I am talking about.  A great, well built utility pump that lasts forever.

Seems to me that the aquaclears run great, just so long as you don't plan on moving the little plastic things that increase / decrease flow or reverse the direction.  They get so crudded up w/ crustaceans that I have broken all the handles off.  

They have performed perfectly in my salt mixing buckets though.  Good pumps, bad execution for adjusting flow and direction.  Seems to me they are meant to be used in fresh water tanks w/ undergravel filters.  

I've been through some trouble with the Koralias as well, but I am still using them.  The magnet swelled up and it seized inside the housing.  After I contacted the manufacturer about it, they sent out replacement magnets for free. 

Edited by Integral9

Seems to me that the aquaclears run great, just so long as you don't plan on moving the little plastic things that increase / decrease flow or reverse the direction.  They get so crudded up w/ crustaceans that I have broken all the handles off.  

You are right on that, but I run them full force so don't have to adjust them.  You can open them up and pry out the little red adjusting thing and scrape off the growth as I just did with this one, then I coat the inside with Vaseline and it is good for a few more years.

No that's about it.  If I was stuck on a desert Island with nothing but Vaseline, duct tape, a hermit crab shell and a Supermodel, I could build a flat screen TV.  And if I had two supermodels, it would be in HD.

But even if it didn't work, who cares? :wub:

I wrote to Koralia and they are doing the right thing. They are sending me some replacement parts that should correct the problem.
I started designing a new pump but I probably won't have to build it if the parts work. I was building one on the design of an outboard motor where the motor sits above and outside the water and the propeller works through a gear inside the tank just like an outboard motor.
I may finish the design just for fun as it should be interesting.

I wrote to Koralia and they are doing the right thing. They are sending me some replacement parts that should correct the problem.

I started designing a new pump but I probably won't have to build it if the parts work. I was building one on the design of an outboard motor where the motor sits above and outside the water and the propeller works through a gear inside the tank just like an outboard motor.

I may finish the design just for fun as it should be interesting.

Paul, just get an electric trolling motor and throw that bad boy into your tank. Then you can get back to feeding black worms and stop worrying about equipment ;)

Paul, just get an electric trolling motor and throw that bad boy into your tank. Then you can get back to feeding black worms and stop worrying about equipment ;)

Jason that is funny as H-E-double hockey sticks!! +1. This is Dina from the Gonzalez by the way.

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

Or one of these like Sanjay's holding!

gallery_2631296_685_13624.jpg

(I wonder if there would be any water left in the tank after starting one of these up?)