The Puckstable's 120g

I recently noticed that my 55g tank started to have a slow leak on the corner seams. This tank is old as dirt, and the factory silicone seams have seen much better days. The two front corners are swelling, and I'm starting to see some salt buildup along the outside bottom trim. Sketchy! I found a sweet deal on a 120g on CL from a neighbor of mine. I couldn't pass on it, and I love the 120 dimensions (4x2x2). This tank is in mint condition, and it came with all the plumbing. Win!!  I was planning on an Awesome-o build (big boy, acrylic tank), but that will be on hold for now. For the beast tank, I want to take my time and do things "right". I will not have the time to do this right now, as I need to transfer things relatively quick. Here we go...

leak test

photo1_zps38b38492.jpg

I built the stand in couple hours yesterday. Think this will be okay?

photo_zps598ccf5f.jpg

teh 55g. If you have an old tank, check your status

photo2_zps21eb1a5f.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obrigado. I'm not counting this as the official "upgrade", even though it is an upgrade from what I have. Anything is an upgrade from what I currently have. Just a temporary holding tank. :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend how I should convert these stock bulkheads to be hard lined. I do not want to use a flex tube and worm clamp. The issue is the inside diameters are different, but the outside diameter is the same.

photo3_zps929c1390.jpg

There are a lot of nice tanks getting started lately. Congrats on the new purchase!

I have four of the BRS schedule 80 one inch ones that I can give you, right down the road. They take a 48mm hole. Would that help? Otherwise aquarium one has a mishmash of plumbing parts in rockville.

There are a lot of nice tanks getting started lately. Congrats on the new purchase!

I wouldn't go as far as calling this one nice either, but thanks. :)

Nice! that was fast. You told me a few days ago. BTW, how on earth did you get that thing into your car?

I didn't want to wait after I found out it was consistently leaking. The tank fit like a glove in my bros Saabaru, which is pretty much the same car I have now, but 8 years older.

I have four of the BRS schedule 80 one inch ones that I can give you, right down the road. They take a 48mm hole. Would that help? Otherwise aquarium one has a mishmash of plumbing parts in rockville.

Thanks for the offer, mate. These are 1 3/4". I will check out A1 tomorrow.

For the amount of time going into this, you're doing a really clean nice job. I tried to take apart a sump similar to what you just pictured so I could save the glass panes. I only have scars on my finger to show, and no glass panes.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to transfer the LS last night. What a nightmare. The good part is I didn't lose anything. I did make a bunch of frags though.

Not too happy how the middle looks, but this is to only way to hold up that rock with all the coral. I'll grow to like it.

photo1_zpsa751630b.jpg

photo3_zpsb646cca2.jpg

The sump sounds like a waterfall. It's horrendous. I'll mess with it at a later time.

photo4_zps275373a9.jpg

Plumbing in case anyone was curious.

photo_zpse54bcaea.jpg

I ordered a pair of Ocean Revive Arctic S026's. Hopefully I'll get them in next week. For now I'm just using my old led's. They actually cover all of the tank. I'll update with pics once I hang the new lights. For now I'm going to keep my hands out of the tank.

Lol ths is the worst build thread ever.

Well, there's no buildup. 

It's just like you said,

"Ok.  It's all set up.  Everything was in the 55 and now it's in the 120 and it all looks pretty good and it's loud, but I'll figure it out.  The end.  Oh and I might be buying a 200 instead."

Where's the drama and the excitement?!?  Where's the picture of the first diatom patch on the sandbed and the mourning period where it has to run fallow for 90 days?  Where's the "I found this weird thing and need help identifying it?"

noooo lol there was one that was a lot worse....at least you didnt build the entire thing and have it crash immediately

I just find the entire disease of reefing so amazing...the fact that you are even contemplating this is exactly what I love about the madness of this hobby.....it is a TRUE addiction lol