Extended visiting from California

Hello folks,

I am a California reefer and I will be staying in the area off and on for the next couple months due to work.

During downtime I'd like to visit some of the locals stores. I'm also a scuba diver and would be interested in getting wet while I'm here.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations.

Thanks

Jeff

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, feel free to post a link to your build thread here. We have no problem at all with that.

Let me find another link for you where we provided some information to a San Diegan who's coming to visit us soon.

Where are you staying while you're here?

So, you're pretty far south. Depending upon what you're wanting to do, you can:

• Head south and visit Atlantis Aquarium in Richmond. A very nice place - Marvin is the owner (nice guy - I met him at MACNA).
  • Quantum Reefs in Springfield. A new brick and mortar with a very nice store. (WAMAS Sponsor)
  • Blue Ribbon Koi and Artfully Acrylic / Incredible Corals - both in Manassas, VA, both WAMAS Sponsors; visit the battlefield while there if you want to check out some Civil War history.
  • If you're up for a real drive, head over to Pacific East Aquaculture (WAMAS Sponsor); may as well head for the the beach or the Chincoteage National Wildlife Refuge if you get out that far. It's very different than West Coast beaches.

We have an LFS locator on the site. Click on "About WAMAS" in the ribbon at the top of the page and one of the selections there in the drop-down should be the LFS Map. It's reasonably up to date.

If you're up for a real drive, head over to Pacific East Aquaculture (WAMAS Sponsor); may as well head for the the beach or the Chincoteage National Wildlife Refuge if you get out that far. It's very different than West Coast beaches.

Haha really wanting to dive the Atlantic while I'm here at some point. Last month I dove monastery beach in Monterey, CA. Beautiful but cold, water was 44F at 90 feet :)

Thanks for the info

We're kind of far from the beach here in DC. I suspect that the water is still cold here. Many people will dive the wrecks off of the Carolinas, or the warmer dives off of Florida or the Keys. Not sure at all what there is to see off of Maryland or what the conditions are. Some others could chime in. Quarry diving is for training - I wouldn't do it for pleasure. I've supported training classes when the air temperature was 28 degrees on the surface and water temperatures about what you're quoting if not a tad less. The killer in those conditions is not the dive itself (well, maybe when the water first starts pouring in down your back), but when you have to strip the wetsuit off in the open air. Brrrrr. (Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode on shrinkage.)

you didn't know it shrinks? ;)

Hahaha, more like that you warm a wetsuit the same way Rob starts a tank cycle.

Tom and Jenn, you certainly taught me something new today :blink:

You're welcome.

Now, though I'm sure that he's really enjoying this... back to Jeff's topic. What was it? Oh yes, shops to visit while he's out here and possibly places to dive.

Anybody know of a local dive shop that may be organizing an outing to any of the NC reefs in his timeframe?

So, Jeff, not that it's the same as an open water dive, but have you ever dived an aquarium? I did so at Epcot a few years ago. If interested, check out the National Aquarium in Baltimore and their Guest Diver program. Even if you don't dive the aquarium there, it's worth putting on your to-do list one afternoon.

Jeff, you should absolutely drive 300 miles south to Moorehead City, NC and dive the wrecks. There are hundreds of wrecks are between 15-25 miles off-shore with lots of sharks. Swimming with the Sand Tiger sharks is awesome...they're everywhere. It will be one of the best dives you've ever done.

Water is about 79 degrees......really warm compared to California. I used a 3 mil shorty.

Two musts if you dive California. A hooded vest, no cold shot down the back and a dive boat with a shower, shove the shower head in the wetsuit, you get the homemade warm feeling with none of the stank:)

The diving is not looking good for this trip, it may take some additional planning. Definately wil be looking into the Baltimore aquarium thing! I will start checking out stores though.

Thanks for all the feedback