Thoughts on Deltec AP702 Protein Skimmer

DCReefer1964

Hey in the past I have always used Tunze skimmers. Since returning to Reef Keeping there have been a lot of changes in the game. I have a chance to obtain this skimmer for free, but I had planned to use my Avast CS1 for now and with the mixed reviews on the CS2 Black Pearl I think I wont be going that route so please chime in on this one before I make the long trip for PU. Yes Vertex, Bubble King , etc. are options

ForSale002.jpg

Technical Data
For US 110V specifications please visit our D-D USA section of the web site
  • AP702 Skimmer : Article No. 88004 
  • Can be stood either in or beside a sump or beside the aquarium.
  • Can be gravity or pump fed (supply pump not supplied).
  • Water throughput - 2300 lts/hr, (511 UK gallons/hr).
  • Installation kit - item 88053 (pump not included).
  • Self cleaning head - Item 88101 (increases performance by 20%)
  • 1400 litres of air/hr are produced at the venturi.
Dimensions: 
  • L 480mm W 480mm H 600mm (allowing for removal of the cup).
  • Hard pipe connections - Supply - 32mm Return - 50mm
  • Skimmer body - 250mm diameter
  • Riser tube - 140mm diameter
 Stocking:
  • Normal Stocking 2000 lts (444 UK gallons)
  • Heavy Stocking 1500 lts (333 UK gallons)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you plan to gravity feed the skimmer?  If not, use an Eheim 1260.  The AP702 is an older model, but still is a very good skimmer and if my memory serves me correctly, it can handle a 200 - 300g easy.  The two Eheim pumps are very good and should be silent.  How much water volume are you cleaning?

Bottom line:  I would run it on my system.

+1.  Still a great skimmer, the only problems these days with deltec is product support but free is hard to turn down.  I'm guessing it would still outperform most of the new skimmers.  

Do you plan to gravity feed the skimmer?  If not, use an Eheim 1260.  The AP702 is an older model, but still is a very good skimmer and if my memory serves me correctly, it can handle a 200 - 300g easy.  The two Eheim pumps are very good and should be silent.  How much water volume are you cleaning?

Bottom line:  I would run it on my system.

i have a spare 1262 laying around, and a DC-3000 it would be install on a 156 gallon reef with 60 gallon sump. Plan on running it external.

I used to runs deleted 701 on my 75g bare bottom acro tank. It was one of the best skimmers I have ever had. That thing just kept rocking. Loved it. Like Eric said, I would worry about replacement pumps and impellers. Mine never had any issues though.

Here's a shot of the tank. :)

CHR_6333.jpg

I used to runs deleted 701 on my 75g bare bottom acro tank. It was one of the best skimmers I have ever had. That thing just kept rocking. Loved it. Like Eric said, I would worry about replacement pumps and impellers. Mine never had any issues though.

Here's a shot of the tank. :)CHR_6333.jpg

Sweet tank Bro you got hidden skill.

o pretty. no personal experience but i support you and your new toy!

Thank you Sir! Back at you. I started a a WAMAS cry for an Avast power buy and it is on I hope we have enough takers to get you 25% back on your awesome skimmer build.

IME, Deltecs suck. All of them use inferior quality pumps with inferior quality connection pieces. Routine maintenance would turn into routine H-E-double hockey sticks when disassembly was required. Impellers went bad quicker than most and Deltec prices on new parts was simply ridiculous. I use an AP702 and I'll say it's main weakness is the air intake isn't anywhere near large enough to operate efficiently.

There are much better skimmers on the market, but free is a different category.

i have deltec 801, best darn skimmer i have ever owned. Been running non stop since 2008. Solid as a rock. Don't listen to zygote. replaced the impeller this week for the first time. easy setup, don't need to mess with it ever.

I got rid of my Deltec 851 and have regretted it to this day.  Fantastic design and perform better than most skimmers out there, including all of the cones.  I agree with Bob, Rob is nuts.  Maintenance on these things is a breeze and Eheims run forever.

If the Eheims ever go bad you can always replace with the Sicces or a some DC pumps.

Sweet tank Bro you got hidden skill.

Thanks! That skimmer looks clean as hel. Like its never been used. If you can find a way to gravity feed from your overflow that would be killer. That's what I did with mine and it worked perfectly.

IME, Deltecs suck. All of them use inferior quality pumps with inferior quality connection pieces. Routine maintenance would turn into routine H-E-double hockey sticks when disassembly was required. Impellers went bad quicker than most and Deltec prices on new parts was simply ridiculous. I use an AP702 and I'll say it's main weakness is the air intake isn't anywhere near large enough to operate efficiently.

There are much better skimmers on the market, but free is a different category.

No way!!!! BAD INFO HERE!!!!

No comment on the Deltec, as I don't know, but what are the downsides of the Black Pearl?

i have deltec 801, best darn skimmer i have ever owned. Been running non stop since 2008. Solid as a rock. Don't listen to zygote. replaced the impeller this week for the first time. easy setup, don't need to mess with it ever.

That is what I have heard from tons of friends here and in europe. Thanks rock918

I got rid of my Deltec 851 and have regretted it to this day.  Fantastic design and perform better than most skimmers out there, including all of the cones.  I agree with Bob, Rob is nuts.  Maintenance on these things is a breeze and Eheims run forever.

If the Eheims ever go bad you can always replace with the Sicces or a some DC pumps.

There you have it the Skimmer Junkie has spoken!!! We all know Steve and his experiences with skimmers.

Thanks! That skimmer looks clean as hel. Like its never been used. If you can find a way to gravity feed from your overflow that would be killer. That's what I did with mine and it worked perfectly.

Well I could run it via overflows controlled by a ball valve if needed. Just want it external. I have researched that approach and it appears to be the dominate feed configuration for this skimmer. Thanks "G"

No comment on the Deltec, as I don't know, but what are the downsides of the Black Pearl?

Mixed reviews. I have committed to picking one up. So I will have to try it myself  :rolleyes: and then resale it if I don't like it. Everyone states that the CS1 was a better choice between the two, and the CS3 is fairly new. have to say I have a SWC 120 that I got from Monkiboy that runs like a champ. In fact I would not know it was running if I did not look at it and see the bubbles/NASTY Skim.

Edited by DCReefer1964

Mixed reviews. I have committed to picking one up. So I will have to try it myself  :rolleyes: and then resale it if I don't like it. Everyone states that the CS1 was a better choice between the two, and the CS3 is fairly new. have to say I have a SWC 120 that I got from Monkiboy that runs like a champ. In fact I would not know it was running if I did not look at it and see the bubbles/NASTY Skim.

I'd be interested to hear, if you're planning on upgrading, I might take it off your hands. I'm currently using a CS1 on the 150, and a CS1 with the Recirc mod on the 57. I'm extremely satisfied with both tanks (both pulling out loads of crap) but with the fish list I want to add, plus the corals, I want to make sure I can handle the skimming aspect. Keep me updated!

Well I could run it via overflows controlled by a ball valve if needed. Just want it external. I have researched that approach and it appears to be the dominate feed configuration for this skimmer. Thanks "G"

Yup! This is how O ran mine. External as well.

It allows direct tank water unfiltered mechanically or chemically to enter the skimmer thus handling direct bioload i.e. dissolved proteins and unfiltered waste produces real nasty, smelly skimmate. In addition it is less heat load added to your system by the use of another dedicated feed pump.

Can you elaborate a little on what gravity feeding a skimmer from the overflow does for us noObs?

External skimmers love to be direct fed.  Skimmers want the dirtiest water possible.  Where is the dirtiest water you ask?  In the overflow; therefore, plumb the overflow directly to the skimmer.

I'd be interested to hear, if you're planning on upgrading, I might take it off your hands. I'm currently using a CS1 on the 150, and a CS1 with the Recirc mod on the 57. I'm extremely satisfied with both tanks (both pulling out loads of crap) but with the fish list I want to add, plus the corals, I want to make sure I can handle the skimming aspect. Keep me updated!

Will DO!!! Bro  :cool:

Even better plumb your biopellet reactor to the skimmer and your house will smell like roses :)

LOL  :laugh:

Can you elaborate a little on what gravity feeding a skimmer from the overflow does for us noObs?

Here is a image of it running feed directly from Overflow.

imagen061zn9.jpg

The 702 is great. I own one.  :)  Marvin down at Atlantis Aquariums in Richmond still has closet full of parts so still can get some items service if needed.  He stopped bringing in the new Deltec's due to issues with the new white pumps.  The pumps on the 702 should be fine.  And ....  its FREE (your skimmer), so enjoy it.