Thoughts on Deltec AP702 Protein Skimmer

DCReefer1964

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 702 is great. I own one.  :)  Marvin down at Atlantis Aquariums in Richmond still has closet full of parts so still can get some items service if needed.  He stopped bringing in the new Deltec's due to issues with the new white pumps.  The pumps on the 702 should be fine.  And ....  its FREE (your skimmer), so enjoy it.

That is great Gatortailale. I am currently working in Norfolk Va. My last day is 1 October. So if anyone needs part LMK and I can PU and bring to the DMV. I might as well PU 2 impellers tomorrow on the way home.

If you have second thoughts about it, I'd be happy to trade you an ATB 840 for it!! :biggrin:

LOL Steve. Well I had to plead with my friend before he would agree on letting me have it. All I heard is !!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS COST ME BRO!!!! . So If I did let it go it would be at a cost that he would be asking, but will keep you in mind. Heck I could make monies curing rock while Reefers are building their reef systems. 

If you have second thoughts about it, I'd be happy to trade you an ATB 840 for it!! :biggrin:

Is your ATB 840 a V 2.0

Just Googling images I am soo excited!!! Man Deltec makes nice aquariums. The skimmer image posted in the first post is not the exact skimmer, but just as new looking.

Digging it !!!! 

img50.25.JPG

Here is a image of it running feed directly from Overflow.

imagen061zn9.jpg

how much does it help the skimmer to feed directly? Can you do that with any skimmer? Also is that a valve to wet skim for your water changes? Giving me a few idea's

aquarium1778.png

Edited by Tracy G

Here are some pics of my AP-701 when i first set it up. Gravity fed by an overflow box on the side of my 75g Bare bottom SPS tank.

CHR_0023web.jpg

DSC_0298web.jpg

DSC_0297web.jpg

jun22_001.jpg

IME, Deltecs suck. All of them use inferior quality pumps with inferior quality connection pieces..................and I'll say it's main weakness is the air intake isn't anywhere near large enough to operate efficiently.

Now that's funny right there. Inferior? Name me another skimmer that will run with a broken impeller shaft with no loss in production?  Can't say I've ever heard of any pump as reliable as the Eheim hobby line. Many have tried  - so far nobody has matched the reliability.

Not enough air? Um..........most of the time they're run with the air intake 3/4 closed.......making it bigger would do what? It all comes down to a balance.........I'll repeat what Saxby said to me when I talked to him about Deltecs @ our MACNA - "have you read Escobal (sp?)'s work?"

I'll see your ATB & raise you a WM 181.......... :laugh:

I won't add anything to Steve, Chris, Craig or any of the other Deltec Johnny come latelys other than so say they're right :laugh:

(though I'd second Steve's "shouldn't have sold my 851"..........................bet the sum-batch is still running too)

This thing is a beast !!!!!  :ohmy: I also got some extras. Upon arrival he said I am glad you brought the truck. Will post pics of the Booty. Bad news is I caused my wife to miss her class today at the University. So free is no longer free. She is out shopping. Pray that she is not feeling Prada today.

Ok putting baby in the truck buckle up.

Posted Image

Catching a little sun before calling it a day long trip home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the goodies I got all needed. Man there are some nice pieces of rock!

And some plumbing supplies.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fun stuff- what a great friend you got to hook you up!!

Dropped some cash on him anyway. He wouldn't take it gave to the wife for the kids. Karma Bro, got to pay it forward.

Dropped some cash on him anyway. He wouldn't take it gave to the wife for the kids. Karma Bro, got to pay it forward.

absolutely. good man.

BTW he said he has 4 Wavey Seas some where. He will LMK

;) you know me well. i prefer the sea swirls but if for a good price, i'd definitely be interested. let me know, sir. thanks!

Holy crap.  that thing looks almost brand new!!  You are going to love that skimmer.

issue fitting everything under the stand. May need to use 40 breeder as sump. Current sump is too large IMHO. It is sweet and well built but not for this build. Monkiboy's sump was the correct height, but 1.57 too long.

shucks. just buy mine, cut it down a few inches and put a new panel on, haha. the water level isn't very high since it's so long so there will be minimal pressure anyhow. comeon i need this gone :)

issue fitting everything under the stand. May need to use 40 breeder as sump. Current sump is too large IMHO. It is sweet and well built but not for this build. Monkiboy's sump was the correct height, but 1.57 too long.

Look, I'll make it easy for you.  Just trade me the Deltec for my ATB......problem solved!  :biggrin:

been running Deltecs for 8 years, keep em clean, run the recirc pumps in vinegar and water 2 times a year, let it suck some fresh water in the air intake everyonce and a while, and you will have the the best skimate available!

been running Deltecs for 8 years, keep em clean, run the recirc pumps in vinegar and water 2 times a year, let it suck some fresh water in the air intake everyonce and a while, and you will have the the best skimate available!

This is all the info u need! DONE!

No comment on the Deltec, as I don't know, but what are the downsides of the Black Pearl?

Come out and Plaaaayeeeee Issac !

Posted Image

See you at the doctors appointment on Oct. 5th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD