Worm in my tank

Enkay

I found this guy coming out from under the rocks this morning. He went back in as I tried to get a picture. He was quite long when I firts saw him ... probably more than 6 inches or so. So what is he and is it ok for him in my tank. I have no idea how he got there. Have not had any new rock in the tank since I set it up.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Looks like a bristle worm. I don't mind them, and think they add to the biodiversity in a tank. They will sting you by releasing their spikes into your skin if you touch them, but it can be pulled out or brushed out after soaking in vinegar or even using super glue on top and then pulling it off!

Is it going to eat my corals or be harmful in any way ? Even if I have to remove it, that might be impossible as there is no telling if it will crawl out of the rock again.

They're scavanging detrivores. They eat dead stuff. They have tiny "hairs" on them that'll stick in your skin if you intentionally or unintentionally grab them. Personally, I think they're fine. I regard them as part of my clean up crew.

I just leave them alone unless they get really big, like the size of a pencil. I have never had them harm any corals or inverts. Their numbers will balance out, if you have too much waste or over feed the numbers will be large but if the food supply is limit the numbers will decrease.

This one seemed to be the length of a pencil. So should I try and get him out ? How do I catch him ? ot trap him ?

This one seemed to be the length of a pencil. So should I try and get him out ? How do I catch him ? ot trap him ?

leave it alone. it's good for your tank.

pretend that you didn't see it and all will be fine.

don't buy a sixline wrasse to specifically eat bristle worms. they usually eat 'pods. never have seen one eat a bristleworm. pics or it didn't happen. :happy:

Plus I hear they are a-holes of a fish... not from personal experience, just many others.

I had pods. Havnt seen one ever since I added six line. It's not aggressive....yet. My bristle worms hide so I have no idea if he eats them. My worms stay small so they either starve to death or something keeps em in check. I want a large bristle worm for cleanup in my sump.