Does anyone here in the club drill tanks for cheap

dmward99

Hello fellow club members I was wondering if someone in the club could come and drill my tank for me?I was supposed to hook up with Gary but I can't seem to get a hold of him (maybe he's out of town for the holidays).But I would like to have my tank drilled a couple of holes.Someone please email me at dmward99@yahoo.com.Thanks Oh I am a member also.

• 3 weeks later...

ever consider the dremel route? You could probably borrow a dremel tool from someone and buy the bits for really cheap. I've never broken a tank doing this and I've drilled 3 10gallon tanks with a buddy (who lives in blacksburg VA where I just moved from).

Kyle

Hello fellow club members I was wondering if someone in the club could come and drill my tank for me?I was supposed to hook up with Gary but I can't seem to get a hold of him (maybe he's out of town for the holidays).But I would like to have my tank drilled a couple of holes.Someone please email me at dmward99@yahoo.com.Thanks Oh I am a member also.

45375[/snapback]

I can help you if you want. Let me know,

Scott

I can help you if you want. Let me know,

Scott

46881[/snapback]

Guys, I have diamond coated hole saw bits coming, I would expect them some time next week. Sized for 3/4" 1", and 1 1/2 bulkheads. Priced from 9.95.

john

Guest alex wlazlak

if you have a drill, or can get a high speed one, your set dude! youd be raking in cash if you did wholes. theres always people who need to have wholes drilled.

if you have a drill, or can get a high speed one, your set dude! youd be raking in cash if you did wholes. theres always people who need to have wholes drilled.

46917[/snapback]

Not something I have experience with, and I dont think practicing on other peoples tanks is a good idea......maybe someday down the road, so for now I will provide bits at a great price and memebers can drill till their hearts content!

john

Kyle, did you go to Virginia Tech? I did, as well as a few others in wamas.

ever consider the dremel route? You could probably borrow a dremel tool from someone and buy the bits for really cheap. I've never broken a tank doing this and I've drilled 3 10gallon tanks with a buddy (who lives in blacksburg VA where I just moved from).

Kyle

46756[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all WAMAS members,

Scott711 drilled my 75g tank and did an excellent job. I was a dremel skeptic but he cut a nice hole for me. Hole saw, schmole saw.

By the way, thanks to GaryL too who graciously offered to help me too but we just didn't connect.

I got a 1" Bulkhead bit from Johnny this weekend for about $12.00. Can't beat the price. With a steady hand, you should be able to get the job done with a hand drill and coolant!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I handled it with the cheapo bits Johnny helped get:

The only warning is that because the bits are cheap I've heard that many are not properly centered on their shafts.

1. I used a piece of wood with a 1 3/4" hole as a template guide so that it doesn't walk all over. I tilted it slightly to allow it to dig in first.

2. It takes a little bit of a touch to let the bit dig the hole while you hold it firmly, yet loosely. A few times after checking progress, when I put it back in the hole the drill vibrated as any off-centered bit would. Keep adjusting your touch and you find that you can reduce this to zero by letting the bit ride in the groove that it's creating rather than holding the drill tight on the shafts centerline.

Disclaimer: My experience with Glass is more related to drinking shots from it..... :66:

• 4 weeks later...

Glass is lot stronger than you might think. I used Dremel and tile cutting bit to drill and cut out 16 teeth 1/4" apart on a 3/8 glass without a single chip.

Just remember to use lots of water for cooling and lubrication. Always wear safety goggles.

If I had a diamond drill saw, I would do it for you for free. But I only use Dremel and a tile cutter. It's not perfect, but it works very well.

If you want it done professionally, there is a glass shop I know in MD that will do a great job and cheap.

PM or e-mail me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edwardj

I drilled my first tank!! A friend works at columbia glass shop, and had some suggestions that seemed to work:

Put some silicone in a ring around where you will cut. This will hold the coolant/lubricant so you can concentrate on drilling. This worked great!

Use anti-freeze, not water, it's a better lubricant.

The "off-centeredness" worked well for me - you have to rock the drill back and forth, ever so slightly - and the uneveness helped.

I used the highest speed on my cordless dewalt. Be sure you don't use the hammer setting! I double checked - that is the type of thing i'd do.

My drill has a little give from when the bit touches the glass until there is full pressure - some springiness. I never fully pressed down - i let the drill do the work.

One last thing. I was careful and thought of everything. I held my bulkhead to the glass to be sure it would not hit the plastic edge - put a garbage can lid under it to catch the antifreeze - and presto - my first hole - one half inch up from the bottom. Doh!! Oh well, ill just use a stand pipe.

I have a bit for 3/4" bulkheads if anyone wants to borrow it.

Edwardj

• 4 weeks later...

I drilled my sump with a diamond hole saw. Was a bit nervous about it the first time, but really it was a piece of cake. I also used the wood template idea to start the hole. Would strongly recommend this method. After I had a little dug I removed the wood and put a plastic cup with the bottom cut off over the hole. I taped this down and filled with water. Also, I disagree with the others saying to go at the highest speed. High speeds are what kill the bit because it overheats. The bit is meant to scrape the glass not melt it. I went at slower speeds and it took about 20 minutes to get through a 30 gallon tank. Here is a good page I found for info on drilling glass. http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/Am...ult.htm?M9a.htm

Matt

I wanted to know if there are any risks of using anti-freeze as a coolant when you drill? That stuff does not seem like a good idea, but I may be wrong.

BTW, I have drilled using a diamond coated bit (dremel bit). I have cut glass using the rotozip, and now I look forward to using something as easy as the diamond hole saws!