Beware of petco.

Joshifer

Very True, The Petco in Tyson's is *@, Same witht he one in Fairfax... But The one in Ashburn off Rt, 28, Is run by my friend who has studied and Excells in this field as well.. GreatPlace to Shop, BeCarfeulTho.... Ich Is Always present in these systems unfortunately, handpick your fish, and Make sure he eats and Looks, and swims healthy before purchasing, Other then that, As someone else said also... Could find a SweetDeal there tho'. But ALWAYS Drip and QT is never a bad idea.

+1 on the Petco store of Rt 28 by Wegmans and also the store at Leesburg.  You can tell from how the tanks look and the knowledge of the sales staff.  Sometimes they have good deals.  Just got a Pajama Cardinal at Leesburg that is eating flakes and Jan's food shortly after I got them.  

Name one pet store or LFS that you've been to a number of times and not spotted a dead or sick fish.

The difference is that the LFS in the area have a method of QTing their fish if they are sick.  Petco has a general policy about just dumping the fish in the tanks and seeing how they fair.  They also put large fish in little 10g tanks, while most of the LFS that I have been to have more appropriately sized tanks for the larger fish.  It's my experience that the folks working at Petco are not very knowledgeable and don't really care about the livestock. 

And you're right, people can spend their money wherever they want, but I personally would want to hear about bad practices, like this thread is telling us, so I can make an informed decision as to where to avoid getting sub-par livestock.  I would expect to see that about any other vendor as well.  That's why we have the vendor experience forums.

Petco is a hit or miss but just like other members have mentioned it all depends on who is running the department. 

In my 150, I have a midas blenny that I got from petco a year ago . When I first bought him he was white with black streaks on his dorsal fin and belly. After acclimating him to my tank and feeding him enriched food, he got his color back after 2 months. Now he's the brightest Midas Blenny you would ever see and full or personality too.

The difference is that the LFS in the area have a method of QTing their fish if they are sick.  Petco has a general policy about just dumping the fish in the tanks and seeing how they fair.  They also put large fish in little 10g tanks, while most of the LFS that I have been to have more appropriately sized tanks for the larger fish.  It's my experience that the folks working at Petco are not very knowledgeable and don't really care about the livestock. 

And you're right, people can spend their money wherever they want, but I personally would want to hear about bad practices, like this thread is telling us, so I can make an informed decision as to where to avoid getting sub-par livestock.  I would expect to see that about any other vendor as well.  That's why we have the vendor experience forums.

This statement isn't accurate. Some LFS are clearly better than others and some know how to QT or treat sick fish. Some LFS dump fish into the tank just like at Petco. I went to both of the 2 LFS in Bethesda area yesterday and saw dead, dying, and sick fish in both stores and employees looking the other way.

An easy lesson to learn here is to not buy fish period from stores that regularly have sick fish.

I read this yesterday and was very disappointed Josh found such a mess at Dale City's Petco.  I have never bought a sw fish or coral from there, but have on 2-3 occasions in the past few years bought fw "dither" fish from that exact store (I do Q my fw fish).  As a matter of fact, it's the only local big box store I would buy fw fish from.  Doris is the blond lady there, I think that's her name.  She's very knowledgable, and has a quiet non threatening way about her when she asks her customers about their tanks.  What she's doing is trying to determine if the fish they are buying will be suitable for their tank, and if she thinks not, she tries to guide them to a correct purchase.   I've personally seen her do it several times, the first time was on me.  At the time I had 16 fw tanks set up, when she heard about my set ups, she started asking my opinion on a problem she was having with one of her tanks at home. 

I just sold a bunch of filters to the fish manager at the Petco in Sterling.  He told me Doris has worked the Dale City Petco fish department into a "premium" store, which means they get a frag tank and "nicer fish". 

I haven't been there in several months, betting she's not there anymore, or was on vacation.

Since Joshifer is now a member and can now view the Vendor Experience area I have moved this thread to where it belongs.

The fish at the Rt 28 Dulles Petco always seem healthy when I go in there. I just hate the time I waste tracking down someone to help me. The employees are usually all sitting up front joking around.

Yea the leesburg doesn't seem all that bad...small tanks but nothing ever strikes me as awful but ive never bought any livestock there....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

Know of any marine speciality shops. Maybe something that only deals in salt water in Woodbridge radius ?

quantum reefs in Springfield is really good. Great Fiji live rock, I got ten lbs for my new 10g. Pretty good pricing too, 5.99 a lb. tons corals and fish too.

• 3 months later...

quantum reefs in Springfield is really good. Great Fiji live rock, I got ten lbs for my new 10g. Pretty good pricing too, 5.99 a lb. tons corals and fish too.

Petland is close and way better. Clean and much much more knowledgeable friendlier staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Try BRK and Incredible Corals too.  They are in Manassas area so not too bad from Woodbridge. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back in my day.... j/k its either hit or miss, i have seen a few Steven Pro lectures and a few others speak on fish health in LFS. and the key is: educate yourself, look for warning signs, watch it eat. all the fish that i have bought that died, i knew was questionable conditions. and i have nurse a few fish out of Ich. 

but know what you're looking at when you buy. know its behaviors. ask around here, we all have opinions agreed upon or not

Try BRK and Incredible Corals too.

It's quite a drive for me, and I've made it twice now only to find both stores closed haha. Once I got there half hour too late and other time two hours too early! But I'm not giving up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the key is: educate yourself

Write that down and keep it in your wallet/purse. Heck, prison style tattoo it! This is what it all comes down to (and not just about this thread, but everything.)