ATO and apex

fscbishop

Plug the switch tube into the avast box. Plug into wall. Blow into the the end of switch from an inch away or so. Does the light on the box turn on and off when you do this? If so, it works.

Do you have the stand alone, or the one with the apex plug? If you have the apex plug, do you have a break out box?

Edited by Djplus1

Yes,  if it's plugged in you should see that switch one is "closed" on the Apex web page.  If you blow in it you should see it as "open" on the web interface, which would mean the water level was high enough.  So you should configure the EB8 outlet that the ATO pump plugs in to with some statements like:

Fallback Off
Set Off
If Switch1 Closed Then On
If Time 09:00 to 08:00 Then Off

This sets the outlet to off if the EB8 loses contact with the brain box.  It sets it to default to Off when it's flipped to Auto mode.  It sets it to switch to On when Switch1 is closed, but only if the time is between 8am and 9am so that if something goes crazy it doesn't just run all day long and fill your tank with fresh water.

Caveat:  I'm not a total Apex expert, but I think the above code will work.

+1

These are my settings:

Fallback OFF 
Set OFF 
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON 

depending on what type of pump you use, make sure you use the right EB8 outlet.  I use Tom's aqulifter in conjunction with the backup float valve and so I use either outlet 4 or 8.

+1

These are my settings:

Fallback OFF 
Set OFF 

depending on what type of pump you use, make sure you use the right EB8 outlet.  I use Tom's aqulifter in conjunction with the backup float valve and so I use either outlet 4 or 8.

My setting also.  I know there is no fail safe on it like Alan's setting, but I wanted water added through out the day.  Correctly if I'm wrong, but with Alan's setting, it will only fill up one hour during the day, yes?

My setting also.  I know there is no fail safe on it like Alan's setting, but I wanted water added through out the day.  Correctly if I'm wrong, but with Alan's setting, it will only fill up one hour during the day, yes?

Yep, that's right.

If you want to put more devices on there like moisture sensors and float switches and such you can snip off the end of that cable and use the breakout box from Neptune to add up to 6 switches. 

+1

These are my settings:

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

depending on what type of pump you use, make sure you use the right EB8 outlet. I use Tom's aqulifter in conjunction with the backup float valve and so I use either outlet 4 or 8.

Add an osc statement to this so it can only run a couple minutes a few times a day as a fail safe.

I also like to make virtual outlets for switch inputs so I can name them. Not so bad with one, but when you get more and/or can't remember if open means asserted or not, having a name on the web interface is real helpful.

• 1 month later...

I'm digging this thread up as I'm using it to set my ATO up. I have done all that was said above except added a few more lines of code to have it turn on two times a day rather than 1. I tested it tonight when it turned on and took the switch to blow in it and the apex kept power to the box which kept pumping water into the sump. Something I'm missing? Also when you guys talk about light you mean the light on the plug that goes into the outlet right?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 09:00 to 20:59 Then OFF
If Time 21:00 to 22:00 Then ON
If Time 22:01 to 07:59 Then OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:59 Then ON

Is this correct?

Edited by SaltLife

Thanks for the reply. The code works now. But now I'm having another issue. The pump turns off when I blow into it but when water gets to it, it doesn't turn off.

Did you try pushing the tube up to about a half inch into the water?

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon 1.1 using Tapatalk

I practically submerged in water trying to get it to work.

You may have a leak in the air line or the connections, then.

Played with it some more. Cut the ends of the tubing and re attached them. Now I have half an inch to almost an inch of play. That a bit of water in. 100g rubbermaid sump... thought the tolerance would be a little bit righter than that...

Played with it some more. Cut the ends of the tubing and re attached them. Now I have half an inch to almost an inch of play. That a bit of water in. 100g rubbermaid sump... thought the tolerance would be a little bit righter than that...

That's about the amount of play that you should be getting. I get the same variation in my 100 gallon Rubbermaid. It's such a small amount of water (about 5 gallons per inch roughly), really, that the salinity doesn't shift much in my system (about +/- 0.8%) for a +/- 0.25 inch variation in sump water level.

The sensor used is an air pressure sensor and a 1/2" of water sensitivity is actually pretty tight given that it's less than 1/50 PSI. That bit of hysteresis protects your pumps from the wear and tear of banging on and off in response to surface agitation.

That's about the amount of play that you should be getting. I get the same variation in my 100 gallon Rubbermaid. It's such a small amount of water (about 5 gallons per inch roughly), really, that the salinity doesn't shift much in my system (about +/- 0.8%) for a +/- 0.25 inch variation in sump water level.

The sensor used is an air pressure sensor and a 1/2" of water sensitivity is actually pretty tight given that it's less than 1/50 PSI. That bit of hysteresis protects your pumps from the wear and tear of banging on and off in response to surface agitation.

I thought avast ato was suppose to have like 1/8 to maybe 1/4 inch sensitivity.no?

Mine is typically 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I don't measure it, though. It just does its job...

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk