Bristle Worms

Mattiejay6

Lol unless you have wrasses, most fish don't touch em...

plus it depends on ifyo I overfeed or not.I also pull out the ones that get big...more than. Inches andI see you, your a goner!

I have a 6 line wrasse. He hunts non stop swirling around the rocks. Never seen him find or eat anything but Im sure hes getting em. What is your way of putting them out of their misery? 

the reefbuilders article is full of false statements.

When has anyone seen a bristle worm attack a coral? If it eats detritus and other decaying matter, then if it was eating a coral, then you can guess that the coral was already in some sort of decay already. 

bristle worms are only given a bad name because they illicit a fear response in many people. they are harmless and should be encouraged to grow and multiply. If your tank doesn't have any, it's not a healthy tank. IF they get big, they can do things that normal sized ones wouldn't do like eat a fish or invert. If a fish gets many times bigger than normal fish, they can cause havoc too.

Just had my dottyback get bristled in the eye, he's not too happy about it but he went hunting it...

I usually move them to a sump when they get too big, (they're perfect for behind my rockwall!) and they're a good indicator of your tank's health like Rob said. I usually test if I see them out and about when the lights are on, it's never good. I used to hate them but now I can't imagine a tank without some.

I don't mind getting stung as much any more either - If I'm working in the tank I just have some vinegar handy. A 10 minute hand soak in vinegar can be a nice break after working in the tank.

Just had my dottyback get bristled in the eye, he's not too happy about it but he went hunting it...

I usually move them to a sump when they get too big, (they're perfect for behind my rockwall!) and they're a good indicator of your tank's health like Rob said. I usually test if I see them out and about when the lights are on, it's never good. I used to hate them but now I can't imagine a tank without some.

I don't mind getting stung as much any more either - If I'm working in the tank I just have some vinegar handy. A 10 minute hand soak in vinegar can be a nice break after working in the tank.

love them, and every Established system should have some

I didn't know I had them until I saw them living on the rough part of my magnet cleaner. They sting??!! When they get how big?

I don't mind them in the sump...seen plenty in there...I think years and years ago someone posted a humongous one on RC and I've been petrified ever since lol....until you see a big sucker you can't understand the irrational fear lol...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I've seen some pretty big ones creeping around my tank with a flashlight after lights out. I say good.

Are you talking about the one that I think was about 3' or so long and clogged up his pipes in his system?

I don't mind them in the sump...seen plenty in there...I think years and years ago someone posted a humongous one on RC and I've been petrified ever since lol....until you see a big sucker you can't understand the irrational fear lol...

Are you talking about the one that I think was about 3' or so long and clogged up his pipes in his system?

Shudder....yes!!!!

just curious...how long does it normally take for a tank to start getting bristle worms....also I have two diamond gobies...so would I ever get them? In my refugium maybe?

just curious...how long does it normally take for a tank to start getting bristle worms....also I have two diamond gobies...so would I ever get them? In my refugium maybe?

Odds are, you have them now. Turn off your tank lights and dump some sinking pellet food in. Shine a flash light where you dumped the food about 10-15 minutes later.

my tank is only 9 weeks old...and my gobies act like they ate everything in my sandbed already. I figured the only place they could live undisturbed would be my refugium.

my tank is only 9 weeks old...and my gobies act like they ate everything in my sandbed already. I figured the only place they could live undisturbed would be my refugium.

Did you try it?

Can't say I have...I'll have to get some sinking pellets and try it

Any food will work. It's just easier knowing you have a pile of food in one area at the bottom. If you have some frozen, drop a solid piece in. It will likely fall to the bottom and sit if your lights aren't on. And watch for the creepy crawlies!

Unless he has cleaner shrimp...those suckers are fast when food hits bottom and fish asleepSent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

That's why a pile of food works best!