Stocking a 150, fish list

YHSublime

So I'm saving up for a fish list over the next few months, and am looking into compatability. My current stock list is:

2 regular clown percs

1 target mandarin

4 green chromis

1 Hippo Tang

1 Foxface

1 Yellow Tang

I want a melanurus wrasse, and will have no problem with that. I am looking into other variaties of tangs, like an achilies tang, sailfin tang, and powder blue tang. Everywhere I have looked says that tangs don't get along with each other, but I have seen many tanks with different species of tangs coexisting peacefully.

Any suggestions for a stock list?

Preferences are reef safe.

Tangs of the same genus usually don't get along. So for instance a yellow and a hippo should be fine. Your problem will arise when you put a yellow and a purple together. It still can be done but there is the very real possibility of fighting with them.

I have four tangs in my 210: The Yellow was the first. Then I added a sailfin and a scopas. (So the first three were of the same genus). The yellow was aggressive for a day or so, but settled down. Last, I added a Powder Blue - this was a few years later. Every time there's a new occupant of any size, one of the tangs decides to act the part of the enforcer, but the aggression dies back after a day or two. It's best to add them around the same time, if you can, I hear. My protocol has been to turn the lights off mid-day so the tank basically goes to bed early. Then I introduce the new fish and let the tank stay dark until the next day when I give it a shorter light cycle. Aggression seems to be pared back when it's dark, giving the newcomer a chance to get some energy back.

My personal faves for some movement are lyretail anthis group too!

I like your ideas with the tangs...I have also seen different species coexisting...so maybe the powder blue or kole eye with the ones you have...

Also, what about a heniochus?

Tangs of the same genus usually don't get along. So for instance a yellow and a hippo should be fine. Your problem will arise when you put a yellow and a purple together. It still can be done but there is the very real possibility of fighting with them.

So a hippo, yellow, foxface, and an achilies or sailfin would be alright? I guess to start with I honestly don't know the difference of genus in tangs...

I have four tangs in my 210: The Yellow was the first. Then I added a sailfin and a scopas. (So the first three were of the same genus). The yellow was aggressive for a day or so, but settled down. Last, I added a Powder Blue - this was a few years later. Every time there's a new occupant of any size, one of the tangs decides to act the part of the enforcer, but the aggression dies back after a day or two. It's best to add them around the same time, if you can, I hear. My protocol has been to turn the lights off mid-day so the tank basically goes to bed early. Then I introduce the new fish and let the tank stay dark until the next day when I give it a shorter light cycle. Aggression seems to be pared back when it's dark, giving the newcomer a chance to get some energy back.

I guess you never really know with anything, and there are always exceptions to the rule. I think it would be possible to add them all around the same time. I plan on stocking it full from the begining (after the tank is ready of course) but it's one of those things I don't intend on changing, unless I have a real problem! That's a handy tip on the lights out, hopefully I won't have to use it!

My personal faves for some movement are lyretail anthis group too!

I like your ideas with the tangs...I have also seen different species coexisting...so maybe the powder blue or kole eye with the ones you have...

Also, what about a heniochus?

I like the lyretail anthis, I also feel like I could get a group of them, like 3 females, and 1 male. They seem similar to a lot of the wrasse I've been looking at. I could probably stock the tank with wrasse alone, they are generally peacefull, colorful, reef safe, and can be kept in groups. At least based of the research that I have done.

A heniochus was on the list, but the other ones I mentioned above were my top. I know the achilles is a little mor expensive than the others, but I really like the darker color, and the bright fins.

awesome thread - following along for my own build fish list ideas! i've had luck with exactly the approach tom described with the modified light schedule and even with utilization of mirrors while a new comer makes their home stress-free sometimes. keep us updated on new ideas and challenges for sure.

Hard to say with absolute certainty.  I have been able to keep multiple tangs and angels.  I think being well fed and enough hiding/sleeping spots are the keys. 

I had to get rid of a Scopas ‘cuz it took down every other tang I added. 

Currently have Powder Blue and Kole Tangs and Flame, Midnight angels.  Adding a Potters angel tomorrow.

Adding at same time will also help I think.  Check Liveaquaria for genus info.

Adding Tangs simultaneously is a good method, but is only successful if they are ready to be introduced at the same time.

How big is your quarantine tank? Singular or multiple quarantine tanks?   Is it a suitable size to hold the Tangs for 8 - 10 weeks?

Edited by ridetheducati

awesome thread - following along for my own build fish list ideas! i've had luck with exactly the approach tom described with the modified light schedule and even with utilization of mirrors while a new comer makes their home stress-free sometimes. keep us updated on new ideas and challenges for sure.

Well put. I've got plenty of time, want to plan it and do it right, figured I'd start asking around now, collect the wealth of information our forum members have to offer. 

Hard to say with absolute certainty.  I have been able to keep multiple tangs and angels.  I think being well fed and enough hiding/sleeping spots are the keys. 

I had to get rid of a Scopas ‘cuz it took down every other tang I added. 

Currently have Powder Blue and Kole Tangs and Flame, Midnight angels.  Adding a Potters angel tomorrow.

Adding at same time will also help I think.  Check Liveaquaria for genus info.

Thanks for the bit about LA on genus info. The fish I'm keeping aren't particularly hard or picky, so I want to make sure I do it right moving forward. 

Adding Tangs simultaneously is a good method, but is only successful if they are ready to be introduced at the same time.

How big is your quarantine tank? Singular or multiple quarantine tanks?   Is it a suitable size to hold the Tangs for 8 - 10 weeks?

What do you mean by "ready to be introduced at the same time?" Do you mean after a proper QT process together, or just a QT process in general. Anything that would be going in my system would only be able to go through my 60 gallon, which would not be big enough for multiple tangs without aggression IMO. My hopes were to find a vendor that would hold them if I was doing all my ordering through them, whoever "they" might be. If not, have other resources in the area I can utilize. 

Ok, this is good information, and I think I have a list together. I pretty much made a flow chart of what I wanted to keep. I then made a flow chart of compatability. Then I worked it down into what I think I would prefer.

It's probably a bit of a large list, but I would like to stock just about everything I want off the bat (probably bound to change, but lets go with it for now.) Is this too much? Also I'm interested in the sex of what I should plan on getting. For example, should the tangs all be females, or males, or a mix? For the wrasse, should I get multiples, like 2 females and 1 male?

So I already have, like I mentioned (I will color my stock as grey) and I will color the choices I'm leaning towards as brown.)

2 regular clown percs

1 target mandarin

4 green chromis

1 Hippo Tang

1 Foxface

1 Yellow Tang

I would like to get my Target a mate (I have yet to sex it, so TBD)

Chevron Tang (Tenochaetus Hawaiiensis)

Achillies Tang (Acanthurus Achillies)

Purple Tang (Zebrasoma Xanthurum) Or Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma Desjardini)

OR

Powder Blue (Acanthurus Leucosternon)

Blond Naso Tang (Naso Elegans)

Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoerus Melanurus)

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Parecheilinus Carpenteri)

Scotts Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Scottorum)

Whipfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Filamentosus) (Seasonal)

Red Striped Anthias (Pseudanthias fasciatus)

Or

Bartlett's Anthias (Pseudanthias bartlettorum)

Yellow Prawn Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)

That's a nice list. Make sure to QT if you can, especially the Power Blue, they are like Hippos, ich magnets.

Thanks! I put a fair amount of time into it. I don't have the space to QT, but I am going to work with vendors and local club members to help me out. I've got two months or so to make sure it's all planned financially, as well as QT time for what I hope will be a month. The Powder Blue is actually one of the ones I am leaning away from. Although it's beautiful, I think I prefer the Achillies, and like scott mentioned, being the same genus, I would take the Achilles over the Powder Blue.

I too would go with the Achilles over the Powder Blue. If you can find one of our local vendors that has a good QT procedure to me it is worth some extra dollars to get a healthy fish.

That's a lot of cool fish...upgrading sure looks fun right now. Very cool choices you have to consider.

I think I've read that red striped anthias are more like cave dwellers and will normally prefer less light. They might not be the type you want if you prefer a wreckfish swimming all about in the open space.

I prefer, for looks, the powder blue over the purple tang. I've kept neither...but hear/read more problems with powder blue.

Again...for looks, I like the chevron if your background is black and the achilles if your background is blue. I've kept neither.

How big is your refugium? I haven't kept a wrasse, but I've only shy'ed away from them because I would prefer they not contribute to decimating my pod population any further than it has been by my other fish. Of course, it's probably not a problem for you in that size tank....but if you don't want your mandarin's competing for food you could leave out a couple wrasses or space out the stocking plan. I think melanarus is big pod eather...not sure about the fairies.

Okay, so the tang police are going to yell at me, but...

When I had my 150 running I had...

1 Yellow

1 Desj Sailfin

1 Scopas

1 Purple

1 Tomini

They all swam around like best buds, I never saw an ounce of aggression towards each other.

Think about a chocolate tang. You don't see them very often and they are quite good looking.

That's a lot of cool fish...upgrading sure looks fun right now. Very cool choices you have to consider.

I think I've read that red striped anthias are more like cave dwellers and will normally prefer less light. They might not be the type you want if you prefer a wreckfish swimming all about in the open space.

I prefer, for looks, the powder blue over the purple tang. I've kept neither...but hear/read more problems with powder blue.

Again...for looks, I like the chevron if your background is black and the achilles if your background is blue. I've kept neither.

How big is your refugium? I haven't kept a wrasse, but I've only shy'ed away from them because I would prefer they not contribute to decimating my pod population any further than it has been by my other fish. Of course, it's probably not a problem for you in that size tank....but if you don't want your mandarin's competing for food you could leave out a couple wrasses or space out the stocking plan. I think melanarus is big pod eather...not sure about the fairies.

Thanks for thinking this out, Matt, I appreciate the input.

After researching the different Anthias, a lot of them seemed more like deeper water fish, agreed. The red stripe ones seemed to dwell in "shallower" waters. Putting a deep water fish into an aquarium doesn't make sense to me.

As for the tang, I have heard some issues as well with the PB, as for the purple, I didn't research them too much. Background is black, but I'll probably stick with the achillies. It's my favorite on that list, of not even just tangs.

I don't plan on keeping a "refugium." I will have a section in my sump for cheato, as well as a lot of live rock, and some scattered sand. I plan on running fallow for 90 days, as well as adding tisbe from the containers along the way, I already have a large population from the live rock I added, and given the extra time I'm giving the tank, as well as adding pods, I venture to say I'll be alright. I think the tangs might go in first, but it just seems like adding all the fish around the same time will work best.

Okay, so the tang police are going to yell at me, but...

When I had my 150 running I had...

1 Yellow

1 Desj Sailfin

1 Scopas

1 Purple

1 Tomini

They all swam around like best buds, I never saw an ounce of aggression towards each other.

Yeah, I don't think there is a constant with this. Just a few basic guidelines you can follow, and then hope for the best.

Think about a chocolate tang. You don't see them very often and they are quite good looking.

That is a good looking fish, but same genus as the Achilles. Although it is certainly cheaper!

I agree, they are underated. So are the Whitecheek (Acanthurus nigricans) which is similar. I have a Black Spot (Acanthurus bariene) and a Blochii (Acanthurus blochii), both are very peaceful.

Background is black, but I'll probably stick with the achillies. It's my favorite on that list, of not even just tangs.

As well as the Chevron, I should mention.

So now that I'm thinking about it, $40 vs. $140 sounds a lot better. Especially when you're talking about a fish that's easier rated to keep, and looks great (Vs. The Achilles.) I don't know why I'm so hellbent on the Achilles though.

I agree, they are underated. So are the Whitecheek (Acanthurus nigricans) which is similar. I have a Black Spot (Acanthurus bariene) and a Blochii (Acanthurus blochii), both are very peaceful.

I like them all!