Help out of "the hood"

YHSublime

See what I did there?

So my next big step in getting this tank ready for life is lighting. I have two of the it2080's from reefbreeders, and I'm wondering what the best way is to make it happen. I'm a big advocate of hanging from the ceiling, but this new build poses some obstacles I have never dealt with before. The first obstacle being the hood. Here are what I think my options are, seeing as the hood is covered on the top. The back half of the hood is solid and completely attatched. Two hinges onto the front and top side of the hood latch to a piece of wood with two thumb sized holes in order to pick it up and fold back over the back half of the hood. I suppose this is for feeding, or any other maintenance, although, I can't imagine the open strip it creates (about 12") is good for much else other than feeding.

Option one, forget the hood. Not ideal, the lady likes the hood, half the reason the sump is plumbed off the side of the tank is she wanted to keep the stand.

Second, mount my lights right to the wood of the hood, about half of the it2080 would stick into that strip, cutting it down to about 8 realistic inches of work space in there, or really just feeding space (see awesome illustration.) But what a pain in the next if I ever want to take that hood off. Right now I can do it by myself, add cords, and lights, more weight, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

My third option is (and I'm not sure now great this is, and if I want to do it,) cutting out the wood pieces on the top, and literally leaving a square box hood resting on the top. Then I would mount the lights from the ceiling "into" the box, which would make it inconvenient for hood removal should I want to do any heavy duty work inside.

Fourth option. Cut out the top of the hood, actually hang the hood from the ceiling, mount lights from ceiling "inside" hood box, and leave a gap of about 1.5-2' from the top of the tank, allowing that space in between to work.

Wanted to bounce some thoughts around off some hood experienced, and mechanically inclined WAMAS members and see what would be the best way to do this.

Hang hood and all from the ceiling with toggle bolts on pulleys and use a winch to raise the whole thing when needed.  Take the hinges out of the hood, attach the two halves together with hinges and use a hole-saw to make fan holes out the top.

Hang hood and all from the ceiling with toggle bolts on pulleys and use a winch to raise the whole thing when needed.  Take the hinges out of the hood, attach the two halves together with hinges and use a hole-saw to make fan holes out the top.

I agree.... And For the point.. Would look Amazing, Like our last TOTM.... :)

If mounting the lights inside the hood make sure you have good airflow around them to keep them cool. Right up against the wood might not be good. One of the biggest causes of LED failure is over heating.

Forget the hood would be my pick.

Why does the lady like the hood? How tall is it anyway? Hoods do reduce light spillage and that can be nice. In that case, if you're hanging your lights below the hood top line, I'd probably see if I could just ditch the top, brace the frame so it's still stable, and bring the lights down from the ceiling (or mount them on cross-bars that you install inside the hood).

Be mindful about sealing up the lights inside the closed hood, both heat and humidity will be higher, so your failure rate on the light will probably suffer.

Why don't you just cut holes in the top of the hood and just lay the lights on top? There's no need to hang them from the ceiling.

Still would present the problem of taking the hood off, plus removes the center brace on the hood.

Awesome idea Alan, but two things:

1.) So when are you avalible to help ;)

2.) I'm renting, that sounds like quite the apperatus to strap to my ceiling.

If mounting the lights inside the hood make sure you have good airflow around them to keep them cool. Right up against the wood might not be good. One of the biggest causes of LED failure is over heating.

Good point, I'll have to take a better look at it tonight.

Forget the hood would be my pick.

Why does the lady like the hood? How tall is it anyway? Hoods do reduce light spillage and that can be nice. In that case, if you're hanging your lights below the hood top line, I'd probably see if I could just ditch the top, brace the frame so it's still stable, and bring the lights down from the ceiling (or mount them on cross-bars that you install inside the hood).

Be mindful about sealing up the lights inside the closed hood, both heat and humidity will be higher, so your failure rate on the light will probably suffer.

About a foot, maybe more. Why does she like the hood? I think she likes that it closes it all up, but honestly, I can't figure out what she sees in me either, so I wont nit pick :happy: Cross bars are not a bad idea, but I think the ceiling will be the way I end up going. Essentially I will probalby end up gutting the entire inside, keeping the outside frame, and hanging the lights from the ceiling above.

I would cut the hood in the middle and leave what would essentially look like a euro-brAce and hang the lights from the ceiling. This would still help with light bouncing back up, while h isn't nearly as bad as light spilling over the front. You can raise the lights up to remove the top when needed and house should hurt the structural integrity to much, you could easily beef it up if needed.

I would also like to note that Im a big fan of you art. I especially like the shading on the left drawing.

I would also like to note that Im a big fan of you art. I especially like the shading on the left drawing.

You know, I'm thining about starting to sell some of my sketches to support the hobby. I'm glad you can recognize true talent.

I ended up knocking out the middle no problem, couple of screws, and now I've got an open box that just sits on top.