Broken Center brace suggestions for school tank

dbartco

Post up pics/suggestions of your center brace fixes. Plastic on mine broken on one side. Looking for ideas to fix a school tank. I have pulled the tank out of Cedar Lane Elementary in Ashburn and am putting the tank in Purcellville at Emerick this year. Need to do maintenance while it is dry.

Tank is a 65 gallon, 30 inch long tank

Measure the dimensions, order a new frame from http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/ . Remove the old frame carefully. Put the new frame on with silicone.

You are done. I did it for my 65 which had the middle brace broken.

Did you not get a center brace on the replacement, or did you do the custom. I dont see a 30 x 12 with the center frame. I hate to spend $40 for the custom...

Here is an example of what Kevin G was talking about. I have done this and it worked fine for me. I didn't do it for a broken brace but to remove the brace because I didn't like the shadow it caused with my light fixture. I got the nylon bolts and nuts from Lowes.

gallery_196_426_39643.jpg

Here is an example of what Kevin G was talking about. I have done this and it worked fine for me. I didn't do it for a broken brace but to remove the brace because I didn't like the shadow it caused with my light fixture. I got the nylon bolts and nuts from Lowes.

gallery_196_426_39643.jpg

Did the same myself. I think you may have even had that tank for school at one point in time...

My last tank was an Oceanic 210 which had a huge glass center brace that I removed. I built a wood top frame out of flat stock 1"x3" screwed on the ends and ran an all thread through the center to help squeeze the center together. The all thread was painted with a white epoxy paint. I will have to see if I can find any pictures detailing that.

Did you not get a center brace on the replacement, or did you do the custom. I dont see a 30 x 12 with the center frame. I hate to spend $40 for the custom...

I got it as a replacement. Not custom. I have a 65 high which is a standard size. 36 x 18 footprint.

My last tank was an Oceanic 210 which had a huge glass center brace that I removed. I built a wood top frame out of flat stock 1"x3" screwed on the ends and ran an all thread through the center to help squeeze the center together. The all thread was painted with a white epoxy paint. I will have to see if I can find any pictures detailing that.

That sounds incredible. Hope you can find some pics. So creative!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My last tank was an Oceanic 210 which had a huge glass center brace that I removed. I built a wood top frame out of flat stock 1"x3" screwed on the ends and ran an all thread through the center to help squeeze the center together. The all thread was painted with a white epoxy paint. I will have to see if I can find any pictures detailing that.

remembered that, kind of why I asked the question :)

thinking of cutting a t-shaped piece of acrylic, maybe that would be able to grab enough of the old frame.

I was told on RC that it would not work to adhere ABS to acrylic (which I think is PMMA). 

I used Loctite epoxy plastic bonder for some pieces I did in my overflow and it seems to hold really hard.  I tried to remove it and wasn't able to.  I think it's just epoxy with a few solvents in it that do some plastic dissolving.  I couldn't find info that said it was reef-safe, but it didn't have any metals in it so it doesn't seem like it is a big deal.

Is there enough of the edge left to use the acrylic strip replacement and then zip-tie it with small holes drilled in the remaining trim edge?

Good idea but I would use maybe stainless wire or something stronger than zip-ties. They tend to get brittle with age and that happens even faster when exposed to strong lighting with UV in it.

That thing definitely needs replacing. Dont risk it. Good decision.

Unless you could build a custom one with acrylic strips. Ohaverd had posted that he has excess left over from his project. You could buy some and create a custom frame. Just a thought.

Edited by Enkay