DCReefer1964 156 Gallon Oceanic Resurrection

Well just returned from Jan's house picking up her old 156 Gallon Oceanic. I hope this will keep me satisfied until the Rimless Reef is complete. Got it home on the truck and Wife says it not cherry, or mahogany. Well I guess the first step is to refinish the stock 3/4 inch oak stand. I would like recommendations on what white paint is safe for the interior. Next I would like to remove the (2) front supports and use (1) center support to allow better access to sump skimmer etc. will post pics later headed to Lowes to PU some paint stripper. I hope to keep this tank progress posted here on WAMAS. Visitors have given me many compliments on my previous Reefs so I hope to share with all. Thanks to everyone who assisted with loading this thin today. Tag along Jan!!!

etudy9aj.jpge5adasy7.jpg

Guess I need to PU some peroxide an vinegar (LOL)

Changed my mind. I am older now need a 30 minute nap first.

Edited by DCReefer1964

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, that tanks in the past. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Have fun with it. I'll be moving on to a custom tank and stand once we are settled in ;-).

Thanks to everyone who helped Haywood move his tank. Enjoy whatever food you got. It was nice seeing you all.

J

Well just returned from Jan's house picking up her old 156 Gallon Oceanic. I hope this will keep me satisfied until the Rimless Reef is complete. Got it home on the truck and Wife says it not cherry, or mahogany. Well I guess the first step is to refinish the stock 3/4 inch oak stand. I would like recommendations on what white paint is safe for the interior. Next I would like to remove the (2) front supports and use (1) center support to allow better access to sump skimmer etc. will post pics later headed to Lowes to PU some paint stripper. I hope to keep this tank progress posted here on WAMAS. Visitors have given me many compliments on my previous Reefs so I hope to share with all. Thanks to everyone who assisted with loading this thin today. Tag along Jan!!!

Guess I need to PU some peroxide an vinegar (LOL)
Changed my mind. I am older now need a 30 minute nap first.

Update pulling a Marco (Monkiboy) stripping of old stand begins !!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stand finish stripping complete. Mama said come to bed. Will prime and paint stand interior tomorrow . Wife settled for Red Mahogany over Cherry finish. Still leaves me with one issue, Tank trim might have to settle for black cant find paint for matching color.

Is the trim plastic? You can find a plastic spray paint similar colored and spray into a rag and wipe it on....lightly,,,gives it a grainy look because alot of the time it barely costs and the fake graininess still shows through...you could just put the stain on top of it and put a fan on it and hope it dries also?

Copied red using white primer with stain, or using the rag wipe method. Just need to find the color that matches.

Update first coat and interior gets 4 coats of Kilz !!!!!

(edited)

5y2yruzu.jpg And Yummmmmm! y8a3a8ad.jpg Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Origami

I will have a week to plan this out further. Leave for Norfolk @ 02:00 Monday morning for work.

Wow...moved in already...

And gone for a week? Awe it's gonna be so all alone in there....

Have fun at work! I understand your downtime will be used for planning,lol