Moon Lights

Caribbean Jake

Some time ago Linda (Zprface) and I talked about putting together a session to build LED Moonlights for our reef tanks. Linda at the time had several surpluses LED's and I had the transformers. I been trying to get a hold of Linda but not sure she is still on line or she gave up on reef keeping. I remember her mentioned this past summer she probably will give up.

1. She lives in Leesburg, but is she still on WAMAS?

2. Anyone interested in a building party to create LED Moonlights?

3. Anyone has any ideas/schematics we could use to build moonlights from scratch?

4. I offer my house for the building party if it is convenient to everyone.

Jacob

No. Something simple like that. I basically device an idea of one step down transformer, few LED's and perhaps a resistor if needed. Real basic and "cheap".... Linda and I talked about it but we lost track with all my travels. I am now trying to get back in gear and see if we can do it.

I have (2) LED moon lights on my tank. It's bare bottom & when I look up w/ my head in the stand at night the moon light is pretty blinking to look at as it is a focused point of light. I can't imagine it's too comfortable for the fish to look at this, so I was thinking of making a set up that used a cold cathode bulb that was more diffused. Any possibility of changing gears to do this instead? If so I'm interested.

I think the cold cathode bulbs are not too pricy as I saw them at this website http://www.nexfan.com/ here http://www.nexfan.com/sucocalib12.html for only $5.99.

I'm *very* interested in moonlight, but more than just having it, I'm interested more in the moon CYCLE and mimicking time/intensity on a 28-day schedule. I can write code, but I'm no good at electronics.

I used some car undermount LEDs from AutoZone, and a converter I had laying around (or could be purchased at Radio Shack). The lights are decent; water resistant casing and double sided tape, for around 11.00 for 8. The only problem I had was placing them in good spots to prevent the 'spotlight' effect.

Luke, we can change gears or we can basically build both, one with cathode bulbs and one with LED. Do you have to repalce the cathode bulbs often? Also do you have a wiring diagram for the cathode?

everyone else; we can get together and brain storm the electronics.. that is no big deal...

The following is a little research I did a while back. Read from bottom to top.

Yes Larry-

That is correct.

>

> From: Larry Grenier <lgrenier@caci.com>

> Date: 2005/05/20 Fri PM 01:43:45 EDT

> To: <superlumination@cox.net>

> Subject: Re: Product question

>

>

Thank You

Chris Bacon

Please Visit our Website at: www.superlumination.com

Thanks for the response. So if I read this right, I can use 1 of the "White #120vac - 12 vdc 7w" transformers to power up to 7 of the 3-led fixtures?

Take care,

Larry "Gramps" Grenier

-----<superlumination@cox.net> wrote: -----

To: Larry Grenier <lgrenier@caci.com>

Date: 05/20/2005 01:04PM

Subject: Re: Product question

HI-

This is quite simple.

All you need is to choose which lights you want from here:

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

The 3led are the most popular.

The 8led are brighter, but the light is more focussed.

The 24led jumbo are super bright and much larger.

I suggest the white 7 watt transformer here:

http://autolumination.com/homefixtures.htm

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bul...300ma_specs.jpg

These are the best quality.

The led lights must have proper polarity, so when you connect them, if they do not light, just reverse the wires until they light.

Once they are all lighting, you can solder, or wire nu the swires to the transformer. Of course the + and - wires must be insulated so they do not touch together. Use shrink tubing, wire nuts, or electrical tape to wrap the open wires.

Thanks-

Chris--

>

> From: Larry Grenier

> Date: 2005/05/20 Fri PM 12:48:24 EDT

> To: superlumination@cox.net

> Subject: Product question

>

>

Sometimes I need to be hand-fed information before I make a purchase. I want to put a 5-8 LED setup in my aquarium hood. I need to know exactly what kit or parts to purchase to accomplish this. I can then go to your web-page and order the right stuff. I'm semi-handy but not an electrician or electronics expert.

Take care,

Larry "Gramps" Grenier

Larry,

Does the 12 vdc 7w transformer have a resistor built in?

Jacob,

The website sais they are long lifetime (30,000 hours).

The discription on the dual cold cathode is as follows for hook up:

"This kit includes everything you need for a complete lighting solution. We include a Molex connector with power splitter, boxed inverter, and 2 acrylic encased cold cathodes.

The cold cathode mounts easily via velcro squares attached to the end of the tubes.

Specifications Length: 12.25 inches Average Current Damand +/- 3.7w Encased in a 100% acrylic shell for proper light distribution Encased inverter for safety Dual light capability Huge Lifespan"

I would expect that it's the same hook up for the single bulb & sounds like it's a plug & play package.

Luke

Any idea on the pricing ?

Unni

We can test both once we set them up, but first we need to build the two prototypes.

Guys

I got a hold of Linda and she has the LED's available. Also, I'lll be in NY this week and will return on Friday night. I will try to keep track of this post.

Jacob

Jacob,

Is this a serious ?

"I think the cold cathode bulbs are not too pricy as I saw them at this website http://www.nexfan.com/ here http://www.nexfan.com/sucocalib12.html for only $5.99."

And I don't believe there is a DIY party required for cold cathode setups at $5.99 as I believe they are plug & play. I will confirm w/ NexFan.

ok my 2 cents on Moonlights....

I got mine from http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm I have 2 of the 3 leds' Hooked them up to a cell phone charger transformer. Works great. Had the leds come on before the last lights went off then go off when the first light come on. Then I noticed that the fish would not rest during the night. I had the chance to go and look at the tank in the middle of the night or sometimes real early in the morning. The fish would be swimming around like it was day time. It did not seem like they would rest. so instead of running them for the full night I started running them 2 hours after the lights went out and 2 hours before the lights came back on.

I have taken them out complete. I don't believe they add any value to your reef or fish. It just a eye candy thing. You guys are talking about spectrum, I don't think your corals will be benefiting from the moon lights at all. If you only want to see what goes on at night than they are ok, other than that I don't see any benefit to having them.

I read on a coral research that corals actually benefit from moonlight attenuation, and it assists at night with coral propagation. There is a direct correlation between moonlight and coral sperm release. I can go back and look for that white paper if I can remember where I found it in the first place

I read on a coral research that corals actually benefit from moonlight attenuation, and it assists at night with coral propagation.  There is a direct correlation between moonlight and coral sperm release.  I can go back and look for that white paper if I can remember where I found it in the first place

44945[/snapback]

If you come across that again i would like to read it.

thanks

I too see my fish swimming around w/ the LED's as tough the regular lights are on. I have my regular lights on from 6pm-10pm & LED's on from 10pm-8am.

Tunze sells a moon light setup that has a 28 day moon cycle simulator, which replicates nature more than a constant LED intensity.

I don't have to worry about corals, but so that my fish get some sleep, I think I will have the LED's on from 10pm-12pm. The only purpose here would be so I can see the tank w/ an irridecent blue shimmer. Looks really cool.

Guest alex wlazlak

how long are those? do you need to make a type of hood for them to hang from or what?

"The cold cathode mounts easily via velcro squares attached to the end of the tubes.

Specifications Length: 12.25 inches"

I think that most tanks will not need a special hood, unless your using it over a nano 2.5 gal tank that is < 12.25".

Guest alex wlazlak

but wouldnt the light just go out?...i think im trying to say how does the light get directed into the tank? will you guys be doing a group order on there or anything?

Guest alex wlazlak

well, like how a common light bulb works. like it its just on the sieling and nothings around it (like a piece of plastic) to "dim" it, that it goes all throughtout the room. so if you buy the bulb with nothing surrounding it, like just a tube, then the light goes all around. dont you need a reflector of some sort? thats what i was kinda getting at.. like you buy the lights, plug them in, then just set them on top of your tank? wouldnt you need to have a reflector or somthing to hold the light itself up so the lights arent just sitting on top of your tank?