Moon Lights

Caribbean Jake

A bit about CC lights -

Plug & play? To a certain extent, you still need a 12v supply.

Light - the light output is very weak, maybe a tenth of an LED. I'd be real suprised if in pitch dark they lit the top 1" of a tank. They are designed/used with UV reactive material (often in water cooled computers) to produce a glow - like blacklights.

Voltage - the little box you see in the wiring is a PCB that boosts the voltage (they're a cousin of neon lights). The actual voltage used is very high, not sure about the amps but there are warnings that contact can be fatal - I would think this means enough current to kill tank occupants.

Water? Neither the box nor the endcaps have any sort of water resistance, given the cheap nature of the product (they're really cheaply made) I can't see them holding up in this environment.

CC lights are the "fart can mufflers" of the geek/pre-pubescent types - not sure they have much application in a reef environmant.

Also, no need to order them online - you can find some at your local CompUSA.

(and to answer your question, yes my computer is water cooled & no I don't have any "glow" inside - the case came with CC lights, I tossed them :lol: )

Guest alex wlazlak

scratch that then. do any of you guys have any looner light links? theyre in the foster and smith mag, and theyre like $13 for one, and you can make links of them too. are these things good, or would the coralife ones be better?

Once you get the 12v part sorted out you can just use any old LED & wire in a resistor for the appropriate draw (or not, some have it built in).

Here's some good LED wiring info - Cliff's FanBus Labs

Absolutely easiest way to get this done is to find/clip a wall wart (lots of old chargers, printers, etc) & just use that as the supply. If you find one that's closer to the correct V of the LED you intend to use all the better, just use a smaller resistor (the link will give you the formula). The blue ones at Radio shack put out a nice bit of light, couple of those & you're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Kysmith

Thank you for your interest in the building party, but apparently there is not enough quorum and seems like the CC is a easy and cheap option. I will keep you informed if the build up ever materialize.