"Hummingbird Feeder" for my Copperband

NateCamReef

I was feeling risky the other day and picked up a copperbanded butterfly. He was bullied a little at first but now he fits right in. The problem is that the only coral he picks at is my prized acan colony. So I decided to rubberband a razor clam to a rock and toss it in. The butterfly loves razor clams! And so do the other 10 fish/eel. The other fish are bigger and stronger and were soon ripping the clam to pieces and not allowing the butterfly to get any. He's pretty timid. When there is a clam in my tank, the butterfly doesn't bother the acans. 

To solve this problem, I'm thinking about making a "hummingbird" type of contraption so that only the copperband can access the food with his long nose. I'm considering taking a piece of pvc (with a cap on the end) and drilling small holes in it. Then I can place the food in the pvc pipe and bury the open end in the sand. This will allow him to slowly pick at the razor clam and will hopefully keep the big tangs out. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience and solved the problem? (without getting rid of the fish that is)

By the way, when he feeds it clams he freezes the clams and then shaves off slices from the frozen one so the whole thing doesn't go in at once.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of making a copperband style feeder for my hummingbirds.  :rolleyes:

That being said, my copperband is my largest eater and although he steals food from the mandarin feeder I think your idea is perfect as I am a big feeder advocate.  Eventually, copperbands eat everything and they eat plenty.

As I always said, their secret is live worms.  All my fish get live worms every day and if it were not for worms, I could not be in this hobby as it remedies almost all the reef problems, except leaks.  I never tried to seal a tank with worms, but hey, what do I know?

Here is a short video of my copperband eating worms.  He also eats clams, Mysis and new born brine shrimp but I think he would eat baked Alaska if I threw it in there.  :cool:

Every fish in that video (except the copperband) is spawning

th_2013-03-27115558_zps12b3b802.jpg

Edited by paul b

Great thanks for the info! I ended up fabricating a feeder out of some little PVC parts and the grate like piece used for dursos to keep out large stuff from entering the drain. It works pretty well. Only the copperband and some starfish go after it. It does need some perfecting but it's keeping him away from my acans for now.