R.I.P nemo

matt

Sad, I just fed the fish and one of two clowns wasn't out for food. These are the clowns we started the tank with last year and the ones my now 3 yr old boy brought home from MarineScene.

I found him on the floor behind the tank....way too late to save. I wonder how long before my boy notices one of his two clowns are gone. And the clowns would often spawn...so a sad sheila too.

Bummer!

Good ideas...and thanks for the kindness. I might sneak one in, but he already discovered one was missing. Maybe I just drop some bio-load for a bit....keep an eye out for that next great fish

Tell him it was playing hide and seek and stick a new one in. I always did that but thought I could be honest a month ago . Big mistake. The four year would be upset looking at the tank all the time saying he missed it and was sad etc. If I had kept my trap shut and replaced it I could gave sacred myself lots of aggravation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I wonder how long before my boy notices one of his two clowns are gone. And the clowns would often spawn...so a sad sheila too.

First year out of highschool I was baby sitting to make some extra money for college. I was baby sitting at this one house and they had a hampster, which unfortunately died while I was there taking care of them. For some reason I panicked and tried to flush the hampster before the kid noticed his hampster was dead (I REAAAAALLY don't do well in those situations, so I was more panicked over an emotional kid than the hampster). Unfortunately the kid walked in as i plunked the hampster into the toilet.

A sane non panicked mind would have probably told the kid what was going on.... however mine was no such mind. I told the kid his parents signed with the government to adopt this special hampster who was really a hampster spy in training. His training just finished and he has gone into hybernation until he is delivered to his spy destination to complete his mission for the U.S. I then proceeded to explain the government uses toilets as a traveling system for the spy hampsters and the government thanks him for helping to train this spy.

The kid helped me flush the hampster and I got a very concerned call from his parents later the next day. I never baby sat again... how this relates I don't know... but tell the kid the truth, it will probably save him an embarassing conversation with his school mates.

LOL!!! That is too funny!!

Yeah, we talked about it. He was wondering and I told him I had sad news. I reminded him that fish live under water and that this one got confused. He couldn't live out of water, so he was gone now. He is still a bit too young to grasp or probe on died/dead...or I got lucky. We focused on that one is gone...but that we still have one. He then told me he had some sad news too....which was that he lost one of his plastic fish (I don't think he did)...but it was sweet. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll take him fish shopping with me again sometime soon.

(edited)

Part of having pets is not only to show kids how to love, care for and respect a life, but also about death.  But he's 3, go buy another clown before he notices---

oops we were typing the same time, glad it worked out for you.

Edited by londonloco

My 4 year old son is kind of death obsessed, and not troubled by it at all, seemingly, although he hasn't experienced it personally.  It started with Sunday School classes, the Old Testament is kind of grim.  Then it continued with kids books about animals introducing the subject, and he made the connection while watching Dinosaur Train that "carnibores" who eat meat necessarily have to eat something that until recently was alive.

I'll be interested to see how he reacts when we lose saltwater fish in the big tank.  The planted tank never troubled him very much, but those fish are more part of a crowd of danios than individuals with personality like the reef tank will be.

Anyway, hope your little guy gets over it soon.

I would suggest what I am doing, make a screen top for your tank, they sell frame kits at lowes & home depot, go to the garden department and ask for bird netting.  The bird netting has larger squares than regular window/door screening.

I would suggest what I am doing, make a screen top for your tank, they sell frame kits at lowes & home depot, go to the garden department and ask for bird netting.  The bird netting has larger squares than regular window/door screening.

I've thought about that, but it's a bowfront. the curve makes that kind of thing harder. however, i have a canopy...he must of shot out the back of that..which I could cover with screen.

I've lost so many fish over the years that my wife and kids just stop caring lol

hopefully that's a pattern neither of us will keep seeing

My 4 year old son is kind of death obsessed, and not troubled by it at all, seemingly, although he hasn't experienced it personally.  It started with Sunday School classes, the Old Testament is kind of grim.  Then it continued with kids books about animals introducing the subject, and he made the connection while watching Dinosaur Train that "carnibores" who eat meat necessarily have to eat something that until recently was alive.

I'll be interested to see how he reacts when we lose saltwater fish in the big tank.  The planted tank never troubled him very much, but those fish are more part of a crowd of danios than individuals with personality like the reef tank will be.

Anyway, hope your little guy gets over it soon.

yeah, i think he will move on quickly. he hasn't made the connection and has plenty of distractions at 3

Part of having pets is not only to show kids how to love, care for and respect a life, but also about death.  But he's 3, go buy another clown before he notices---

oops we were typing the same time, glad it worked out for you.

or maybe he'll want something different this time, right? like a cuttlefish...god, hope i can steer him to something smart

or maybe he'll want something different this time, right? like a cuttlefish...god, hope i can steer him to something smart

Cuttlefish. Eh? Let us not, dear friends, forget our dear friends the cuttlefish... flipping glorious little sausages. Pen them up together, and they will devour each other without a second thought... Human nature, in'it? Ooor... fish nature

Capt Jack Sparrow

Maybe he would like to watch this if you have Amazon Prime.  It's free on Prime, and our planet is much better off for having had Mister Rogers in it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C539I4

In this highly-acclaimed early episode Mister Rogers discovers a dead fish in his aquarium, buries it, and talks about his boyhood feelings when his dog died. He assures children that memories can help, and that sadness isn't forever.

They will find out eventually, and it will be their friends who tell them, if you don't.  So, imo:  It's better to be the source of information like that, than to let their friends be the source.