adding dead rock

anenome812

I removed a large piece of live rock several month ago so I could change my aquascape, now I want to put it back in and change things before I start adding a lot of coral. I only have a few pieces of coral and the frags I got at FF, is it ok to just put it back in my tank or do I have to cook it. Also it has been in a tub and is dry

If its completely dry you should have no problem with adding it. The dead stuff on live rock is what makes the cycle, etc happen. As long as your rock is devoid of rotting stuff you will be fine.

if it was once live and you didn't cook it, have it out in the sun, or do anything to it, it likely that all the matter has decomposed on it and tossing it back in without even a rinse will release it into your tank. give it a once over, remove any matter from it then give it a go and monitor your levels especially on a small tank.

Anything organic that has not yet decomposed completely and been removed, whether it is dried out or not, is a source of nutrients. Inspecting and scrubbing the rock is a good precaution. I've even power-washed rock using a high-pressure power washer (the 3000 psi kind) before to make sure that I got as much junk as I could reasonably get (even the stuff that was blended in that I couldn't see).

My regime with rock is this:if sundried i guve a good scrub to knock off any loose dead debris

If boiled and scrubbed qwik rinse in rodi and put in tank

BUT i would still monitor for any ammonia spikes just in case i missed anything..you just never know...