blue reef chromis

treesprite

I got one about a month ago - it's about to become either a sump fish or go to a new home.

Supposedly these fish are peaceful, but this one won't leave my other fish alone. It is biting the firefish, and now the scissortail dartfish which I just put in last night so they are already scared (got them in May when I got the firefish, but kept them in QT all of this time).

Has anyone else had this problem with a blue reef chromis?

I have had the same thing happen. Compared to other damsels and chromis they are kind of peaceful but if they are with other truly peaceful fish they can be overbearing. 

I was thinking about selling it, but what disturbs me is that no one is going to want to pay what I paid for it at a LFS when the online price is way cheaper, in one place was 1/2 the cost.

Also, interestingly...  They do not do well out of water.  I found my missing chromis on the ground no where near my tank, and he was dead! 

seriously though.  I bought 6 to start with, and two of them were jerks and killed the rest.  Now obviously I only have one.  He never picks on other fish though.

This isn't a blue-green chromis, this is a "blue reef" chromis - very different.

Oh wow, I just saw one of my clowns go after the chromis - good for you!

I doubt he would bother my fish they are full of %$#* n vinegar. What LFS did you buy him at? What is the coolest reef store in MOCO? I went to aquarium one the other day pretty neat.

I got the fish at Showcase Aquarium in Wheaton, which closed at the end of June. The BEST in Monkey County, IMO, is Aquarium One. I love that place. It used to be just another aquarium store, but then took out most of the fresh water for those great coral tubs, then took out more to add on the invert tanks, and then took out some of the saltwater fish tanks to put in more coral tubs.

I bought 6 blue reef chromis several months ago and still have five of them. I haven't noticed any aggression in them at all. I *thought* they did best in small groups - but I'm not 100% sure on that. Been a while since I did my research on them.

(edited)

This guy needs to go. He's terrorizing the scissortails - they keep ending up in the sump, and 2 days in a row I had to take out the skimmer and rocks to fish them out.

Where did you get 6 of them all at once? I've only ever seen one single one in all of ever in a LFS.

Edited by treesprite

I bought my 5 all at once. Now I have 4 and its been 6 months. They are peaceful with my other fish.

Where did you get 6 of them all at once? I've only ever seen one single one in all of ever in a LFS.

Marine Scene, Fins & Feathers... Sometimes a tank full of them.

(Sent from my phone.)

I bought my 5 all at once. Now I have 4 and its been 6 months. They are peaceful with my other fish.

I forgot to mention, I got mine from Quantum Reefs before they had the store front.

Another important piece would probably be that they said they started with about 15 of them....

I got them opening day at Quantum Reefs.

(edited)

Are you sure you are talking about blue reef chromis "Chromis cyaneus"? This is a bright blue fish with black markings on back,  fin and tail, not the common pale blue-green chromis "Chromis viridis" (which is sold by the bucket load by most LSWFS).

Edited by treesprite

Are you sure you are talking about blue reef chromis? This is a bright blue fish with black markings on back,  fin and tail, not the common pale blue-green chromis sold by the bucket loads. Since I'm too lazy to post a picture, refer to this: 

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+113&pcatid=113

Quantum always seems to have them. Definitely the same fish

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

These?

DSC_0312_zps37fb355e.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic, it's all I could find of mine atm. They were called blue chromis when I got em'.