Setting up new QT

FrankieGee

Hi all - I've set up a 20 gallon QT and put some dead live rock in that I had baking outside for a month.  I used RODI water, put a little bit of sand in the tank (maybe 3-4 lbs) a heater, set the salinity at 1.25, a HOB filter that came with the tank (bought from Petco) and the dead rock (i'm guessing 10 lbs).  I don't plan to use it for at least a month or 2 so that it has time to cycle.

The rock was live before letting it dry up outside.  It's mainly rubble from my DT that I wasn't using anymore.  

I took the rubble from outside and put it in QT.  Is this ok?  Do I need to take the rock out and cure it (put in a covered bucket with a heater and air pump for a month) before putting it in the tank?  Since i'm not going to use it for awhile, can I just let the rock cycle within the QT?

I guess i'm trying to ask if there is a proper way to set up a QT.

Thanks for your help!

Hi all - I've set up a 20 gallon QT and put some dead live rock in that I had baking outside for a month.  I used RODI water, put a little bit of sand in the tank (maybe 3-4 lbs) a heater, set the salinity at 1.25, a HOB filter that came with the tank (bought from Petco) and the dead rock (i'm guessing 10 lbs).  I don't plan to use it for at least a month or 2 so that it has time to cycle.

The rock was live before letting it dry up outside.  It's mainly rubble from my DT that I wasn't using anymore.  

I took the rubble from outside and put it in QT.  Is this ok?  Do I need to take the rock out and cure it (put in a covered bucket with a heater and air pump for a month) before putting it in the tank?  Since i'm not going to use it for awhile, can I just let the rock cycle within the QT?

I guess i'm trying to ask if there is a proper way to set up a QT.

Thanks for your help!

I assume that it was a typo, but 1.25 is a little high. I assume you meant 1.025, but if not, try to lower those numbers!

(edited)

you don't want rock in your QT system. unless absolutely necessary for the fish's level of comfort you don't want sand either (think sleeping wrasses and the like).

just use your DT water from water changes. all you need is the tank, a simple light to promote feeding response, some PVC fittings for hiding and sleeping, a heater, and the HOB filter without carbon.

be sure to monitor your ammonia/nitrates when the fish get in there. you will be doing changes likely at least weekly. great job getting into QT. good time to consider prophylactically treating with cupermine and paraguard or maybe prazipro depending on which fish you got in there. good luck!

Edited by monkiboy

Ah, didn't realize it was this easy to set one up.  I'll remove the rock and sand tonight.  I am a little concerned about one of my Clarkii as he is starting to have black dots on him.  First there was a large black dot on his belly but now I noticed lighter dots/blotches on his backside, near his dorsal fin.  Any thoughts on what the cause of the black blotches are?

Thanks for the help all.

(edited)

Ah, didn't realize it was this easy to set one up.  I'll remove the rock and sand tonight.  I am a little concerned about one of my Clarkii as he is starting to have black dots on him.  First there was a large black dot on his belly but now I noticed lighter dots/blotches on his backside, near his dorsal fin.  Any thoughts on what the cause of the black blotches are?

Thanks for the help all.

inflammation from hyper-melanization? does he sleep or hang around a lot of stinging corals?

are they surrounded by any red? are they distinct or slight faded? like below?

DSC03453.jpg

DSC03444.jpg

Edited by monkiboy

Does Paraguard and PraziPro kill the bacteria in live rock in a QT?

Neither one has ever caused any issues with my biological filter. The ParaGuard did stain the silicone.

I am a little concerned about one of my Clarkii as he is starting to have black dots on him. 

Post up a picture of the clown so we can see what it has. It does sound like hyper-melanization as monkiboy stated.

The pic with the blue background is the Clarkii that i'm worried about.  The other Clarkii is the larger of the 2 and now shows a small black dot on it's side too.

The larger hosts in a condi but the smaller doesn't host in any anemone

Should I put them both in the QT?  What meds should I use?  Is this a fungus?

inflammation from hyper-melanization? does he sleep or hang around a lot of stinging corals?

are they surrounded by any red? are they distinct or slight faded? like below?

The black dots are distinct and seem to be getting worse.  He doesn't hang around stinging corals.  He eats fine and sleeps fine (I think).  No red marks either.

just use your DT water from water changes. all you need is the tank, a simple light to promote feeding response, some PVC fittings for hiding and sleeping, a heater, and the HOB filter without carbon.

I don't understand this, why would you use old water from wc's?  Not doubting, just trying to learn.....

I don't understand this, why would you use old water from wc's?  Not doubting, just trying to learn.....

Some actually recommend that you don't use water from your DT but start fresh. Fish in QT are often enter highly stressed already. In this case, they're more susceptible to disease and water from your DT, which could already be infected, could actually innoculate the fish with a disease that might be easily fought off in an otherwise healthy fish. QT display prevention actually goes both ways: You don't want the new fish to infect your tank and you don't want the tank to infect your new fish. (By the way, I can't swear to the fact that I always do this. It's just another thing that you'll see written out there by respected aquarists.)

It's different in a hospital tank where you're moving a resident of your display into a hospital situation. In this case, starting with your DT water reduces acclimation stress.

Asking because I will buy ro water from a local LFS for my  new 60g.  Using DT water would be my preference.  Who here uses DT water in their Q tank? 

(edited)

Asking because I will buy ro water from a local LFS for my  new 60g.  Using DT water would be my preference.  Who here uses DT water in their Q tank? 

like tom said, if it really is for a QT then i would use new saltwater. most people are actually talking about a hospital tank when they talk QT and seldom make the correct designation in discussion as it's confusing for folks just starting some times.

Edited by monkiboy