Frag tank fish

Djplus1

Does everyone that has a frag tank keep a fish or two in it? If so what kind? I notice that nearly LFS has a yellow tang, for algae I presume, but wonder if there are any more interesting choices for a 30-40 gallon tank?

Part of me is considering a lionfish if I don't plan on getting any other fish or inverts, as I think they are still cool looking.

Does everyone that has a frag tank keep a fish or two in it? If so what kind? I notice that nearly LFS has a yellow tang, for algae I presume, but wonder if there are any more interesting choices for a 30-40 gallon tank?

Part of me is considering a lionfish if I don't plan on getting any other fish or inverts, as I think they are still cool looking.

That.s on you My friend... He eats everything, including the clean.up guys

Six lines are small and apparently A holes to other fish, so probably a good move on your part. I was thinking a non reef safe fish that didn't eat coral, just because I couldn't have one unless I start a fowlr.

dragonface pipefish... they are cool, hardy and also natural predators of Acropora-eating Flatworms (AEFW)

malanarus wrasse... eats flatworms, not as mean as sixline

dragonface pipefish... they are cool, hardy and also natural predators of Acropora-eating Flatworms (AEFW)

malanarus wrasse... eats flatworms, not as mean as sixline

Pipefish are pretty hard to keep though aren't they?

Pipefish are pretty hard to keep though aren't they?

most are difficult, but the dragonface is quite hardy from our experience... it's cool how they just slither along rocks and crevices, around the frags... we have 1-2 dragonface pipefish in each of our frag tanks at the store

I don't have any fish in mine yet but I plan on adding a wrasse.  I might actually move my sixline over.

So you need to put a screen top on your frag tank then don't forget....

I keep a small yellow tang and a tomini (flame) tang in my frag tank. Algae control.

One problem with the pipefish is flow - they don't do well in high flow areas without lots of shelter.  And if its minimal rockwork, they will need lots of extra small foods.  You also cannot put them in with heavy/strong feeders (like most wrasses) as they will be out-competed for food.

As for the lionfish - I used to keep a dwarf fuzzy lion in my full reef.  It was fine and too small to bother most of my fish.  But be warned: the first time you get stung you will want it out of there. :)

I would keep a tang, probably a bristletooth type, and that is about it. I think a wrasse or even pipefish aren't needed as the corals should be dipped before entering the system but keeping them would be mainly for looks and not function. I would limit the fish bio load to keep the water cleaner.

Pipefish are very similar to seahorses and require similar care. Not difficult but you do need to have specialized care with them though, a frag tank with A LOT of flow is not an ideal enviroment, pipefish swim better than seahorses but still prefer a bit less flow that some people have in their tank.

I had a mystery wrasse die on me in my display tank (wife's fav fish), so I think I'll get that again. Is a 34 gallon Red Sea Max 130 big enough for a yellow tang or should I look for something else for algae control?

Tom (Origami)- I was told this was your old tank.

If you started with a small tang it would be fine but plan to find it a new home after a couple of years as it grows bigger. For a small frag tank I would pick a tang that stays smaller like the Tomini Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus tominiensis). They also cost less than a yellow.

I had a mystery wrasse die on me in my display tank (wife's fav fish), so I think I'll get that again. Is a 34 gallon Red Sea Max 130 big enough for a yellow tang or should I look for something else for algae control?

Tom (Origami)- I was told this was your old tank.

Ah. It used to be in my wife's home office when we lived in Ashburn. I took it down when we moved to our home south of Hamilton. So here's the pedigree as I know it in case you're interested.

Steve Outlaw => Origami => NYFan78 => Djplus1 (Yes, it's one of the many that Steve has had over the years. He got it from a friend as I recall.)

I would not use it for a yellow-tang, though. Maybe a small Tomini (sometimes called a Flame or Flame-Fin tang) but it would, as Coral Hind noted have to be re-homed as it grew.

Steve Outlaw => Origami => NYFan78 => Djplus1 (Yes, it's one of the many that Steve has had over the years. He got it from a friend as I recall.)

LOL lets do a family tree of all Steve's pumps and skimmers too!..... :laugh:

So you need to put a screen top on your frag tank then don't forget....

I'm disappointed that you assumed I don't already have a BRS clear mesh screen top on my frag tank....... Because I do. :)

I'm disappointed that you assumed I don't already have a BRS clear mesh screen top on my frag tank....... Because I do. :)

Actually I knew you did lol....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LOL lets do a family tree of all Steve's pumps and skimmers too!..... :laugh:

If you think we had a run with the DNS, imagine how much space this would take up on the server! WAMAS membership would be upped, $25 a head :tongue:

If you think we had a run with the DNS, imagine how much space this would take up on the server! WAMAS membership would be upped, $25 a head :tongue:

I'd been through 20 tanks before you ever joined our little group, so yes, it will probably take quite a bit of server space!!

I'd been through 20 tanks before you ever joined our little group, so yes, it will probably take quite a bit of server space!!

I feel like I'm catching up, lol.