Gorgonian fragging?

Djplus1

How difficult is it to frag a gorgonian? I've got this thing kind of dominating the left side of my tank and I think it's preventing my meager zoa garden  from getting any light.post-2633366-0-98987900-1374015953_thumb.jpg

(edited)

It's as easy as cutting paper with scissors. Do just that. Cut it as much as you like with scissors. Try cutting at the base of each branch.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

Once cut like it Jan says, to make it easier to attach, strip off a little of the flesh at the end to expose the center skeleton which feels kind of like a wood twig. The super glue sticks to the bare skeleton better than the flesh which can slime. 

Do I just glue to another rock? Doesn't seem like I will glue to a plug? Or can I just push fresh cut bases into sand bed? Should I bring some to frag fest? Can I cut them smaller then? Just put them loose in ziplocks?

Do I just glue to another rock? That is how I do it, to a small piece of rock rubble. Some people rubber band them to rocks.

Doesn't seem like I will glue to a plug? Was that a question or just a statement?

Or can I just push fresh cut bases into sand bed? You can do that but secured to a base keeps them from blowing around or getting buried. The portion of tissue below the sand's surface will die.

Should I bring some to frag fest? If you want to share them you could. I'm sure people would like a freebie

Can I cut them smaller then? I would not make them smaller than an inch so there is enough tissue to help the cutting grow.

Just put them loose in ziplocks? For transporting that could be fine. To grow them out, that might not work long term.

Do I just glue to another rock? That is how I do it, to a small piece of rock rubble. Some people rubber band them to rocks.

Doesn't seem like I will glue to a plug? Was that a question or just a statement?

Or can I just push fresh cut bases into sand bed? You can do that but secured to a base keeps them from blowing around or getting buried. The portion of tissue below the sand's surface will die.

Should I bring some to frag fest? If you want to share them you could. I'm sure people would like a freebie

Can I cut them smaller then? Than what? I would not make them smaller than an inch so there is enough tissue to help the cutting grow.

Just put them loose in ziplocks? For transporting that could be fine. To grow them out, that might not work long term.

"It" will glue, not I .

Stupid ipad likes to miss letters and change the meaning of sentences.

How would it work if i decided to bag some to give away at frag fest? Do I just walk up and drop them on a table?

Thats a beautiful piece tho'. I may have to frag Mine too, Anyone wanna trade.lol

Post it up in the trading forum and see what offers you get.

How would it work if i decided to bag some to give away at frag fest? Do I just walk up and drop them on a table?

You can post it up in the "for free" forum before going so you know how many to take or yes you can just bring it and hand it out to people. Contact one of the officers when you get there and they will help you share the frags.

It's as easy as cutting paper with scissors. Do just that. Cut it as much as you like with scissors. Try cutting at the base of each branch.

have you had success with that method after a few months? i have not. i usually trim back just the "skin" up to about 1/4" then place the structure in epoxy to prevent shedding.

As soon as I.m officially a member after Sunday. You know it. I.m. Lookin forward to all the new perk.s i.ll be receiving.

Post it up in the trading forum and see what offers you get.

To donate to FragFest, just trim and bag it and bring it along. We can take care of the rest. For some thicker gorgonians, you may find regular scissors kinda difficult. Bone cutters or wire cutters may be quicker ad they have a rod-like central rib that holds their shape.

(Sent from my phone)

I've always had success when trimming them. I strip the end like Coral Hind mentioned and just stick it in a hole in a rock. They grow just fine.

I've always had success when trimming them. I strip the end like Coral Hind mentioned and just stick it in a hole in a rock. They grow just fine.

lol, as Easy As that.lol