Another LED related question

Djplus1

So my Photon 48" just came in a n hour ago and I set it up temporarily on some L brackets off the wall until I build my tank mounts. My question is related to glass tops vs egg crate vs whatever. Its a bow so it's not easy to make a screen top, so what I have been doing was leaving the front curved glass on and having egg crate on the back while the light covered the middle.post-2633366-0-10419100-1374004762_thumb.jpg

I obviously now have the ability to cover the rest with egg crate.

But I also have the ability to use the rest of the glass topspost-2633366-0-05534400-1374004828_thumb.jpg

I seem to be able to see the shadow from the egg crate and it sort of bothers me, and if I see shadows that means light is being blocked, but I've always heard that glass tops will cut the light significantly. 

The only other option I can think of is use the curved glass and get some bird netting and finish off the squares behind the curved glass.

Keeping in mind I have a bow and have jumping fish, what would you seasoned pros do?

Oh, if it matters I have the lights 9" off the water and are running both channels at 30% to ramp up. So any advice on this front would be welcome.

In my Experience... Glass is good, but you have to Clean it EVERYDAY if you want it to Remain clean, because as the water Evaporates it builds up on the underside of the glass, and forms into droplets... which can block, alter, and/or bend the light. But I'm Still a Big fan of OpenTop personally.... But the waters evaporates at a MuchQuicker Rate. lol.
Hope this helps some.

(edited)

I'm no seasoned pro but I would use the clear mesh that BRS sells.  If you want to come check out the top I made for my frag tank last night shoot me a text.  Once I make the one for my display I might have some left over for you.

Oh, and I guess you're stuck using the glass in the front.

Edited by swimmatte

Oh, and I guess you're stuck using the glass in the front.

That's for sure, I'd recommend... Plus It is already there.lol

Don't fix it , if it Ain't Broke.lol

In my Experience... Glass is good, but you have to Clean it EVERYDAY if you want it to Remain clean, because as the water Evaporates it builds up on the underside of the glass, and forms into droplets... which can block, alter, and/or bend the light. But I'm Still a Big fan of OpenTop personally.... But the waters evaporates at a MuchQuicker Rate. lol.

Hope this helps some.

Glass is actually quite bad if you're talking about covering all or much of the top of the tank.  Clear mesh will not block light and does not prevent the gas exchange from occurring.  Him using the 3-4" piece in the front won't hurt but I would stay away from using the middle piece as well.  

Sure, with a completely open top you're going to lose water faster due to evaporation. However, this is actually a good thing in my opinion because it's like a "hands free" constant water change which can help keep nitrates down.

Of course not Ever cover the whole top, theres no Gas Exchange then...

because it's like a "hands free" constant water change which can help keep nitrates down.

LOl, And Never heard anyone put it like this... InterestingTheory.lol

Glass is actually quite bad if you're talking about covering all or much of the top of the tank.  Clear mesh will not block light and does not prevent the gas exchange from occurring.  Him using the 3-4" piece in the front won't hurt but I would stay away from using the middle piece as well.  

Sure, with a completely open top you're going to lose water faster due to evaporation. However, this is actually a good thing in my opinion because it's like a "hands free" constant water change which can help keep nitrates down.

I kind of agree with the evap thing. It's not like I don't have an ATO, so free water exchange...yes please. I put an ATO on my biocube and I wonder why...I think a 3 gallon reservoir would last me 3 months if I didn't just refill it to freshen it up.

How do you use the clear mesh? What is used as a frame? How do you attach it without using staples, etc?

They sell full kits on BRS but I went to Home Depot and got 8' sections of window screen framing for almost nothing.  Then you buy the corner pieces and the rubber spline and boom, you build a screen window  :tongue:

Yeah, I got that huge spool of spline in my basement. I'm sure I can find the screen elsewhere too.

Good luck. I couldn't find it anywhere local. If you want you can order some on BRS and take what I have left then just replace it when you get it. I won't need it for a few weeks.

When water condenses on glass, it's not changing the water at all. It's impossible for this effect to 'keep the nitrates down'. If anything, it increases the salinity a tiny bit and does nothing for any other parameter. We have many tanks with glass tops and halide/led lights. Mineralization does occur and you need to wash the glass tops in vinegar to remove the buildup.

You can cover a bowfront easily and entirely with eggcrate. Whatever shadowing does occur from using eggcrate is insignificant and is nothing to worry about.

Good luck. I couldn't find it anywhere local. If you want you can order some on BRS and take what I have left then just replace it when you get it. I won't need it for a few weeks.

quantum carries it usually

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just a note. Top off does not really result in a free water change. Evaporation leaves behind many of the pollutants that we want to remove in a water change, and concentrating them. Top off restores the concentration (provided it's pure).

For people using kalkwasser, evaporation offers the opportunity to easily and inexpensively supplement with calcium and alkalinity, as well as raise the pH.

I like open tops for this reason, improved gas exchange and light transmission. Except for the light problem, each has a fairly simple work around. Keeping glass clear of a lot of condensation and salt etching is practically impossible. I would find a way to maximize your use of netting if possible.

(Sent from my phone)

I use egg crate on top of my tank between my EG light. There was a thread about a month ago discussing PAR values that Tom linked to. It does lower it but it's insignificant for me. When observing my tank, it doesn't change anything w/ the egg crate in terms of coral health, extension, growth, etc. If you are a numbers chaser when it comes to PAR, you may be slightly concerned, but I am not.

When water condenses on glass, it's not changing the water at all. It's impossible for this effect to 'keep the nitrates down'. If anything, it increases the salinity a tiny bit and does nothing for any other parameter. We have many tanks with glass tops and halide/led lights. Mineralization does occur and you need to wash the glass tops in vinegar to remove the buildup.

You can cover a bowfront easily and entirely with eggcrate. Whatever shadowing does occur from using eggcrate is insignificant and is nothing to worry about.

Ive never used the glass tops on my tank because my old lights prevented me from doing so, except for the front curved parts. Literally put them on for the photo op and left them on over night so my wrasse wouldn't fly away.

I use egg crate on top of my tank between my EG light. There was a thread about a month ago discussing PAR values that Tom linked to. It does lower it but it's insignificant for me. When observing my tank, it doesn't change anything w/ the egg crate in terms of coral health, extension, growth, etc. If you are a numbers chaser when it comes to PAR, you may be slightly concerned, but I am not.

I was less concerned with PAR, but had issues with the grid shadows all over the tank that I was seeing.

quantum carries it usually

But quantum is butt far for me, it's pretty much bird netting, right? I would think a bunch of non fish specialty stores might carry the stuff.

It's bird netting, yes.  People just like the look of the clear because it's about invisible.

I bet if you asked nicely (and opened your wallet, hehe) you could get Adam to make you an acrylic frame with a curved acrylic front to fit your bowfront with a channel in it to hold a spline. 

I'm not totally sure it's possible to cut a spline channel into a curved piece of acrylic, but if he has a CNC it should be.

It's bird netting, yes.  People just like the look of the clear because it's about invisible.

I bet if you asked nicely (and opened your wallet, hehe) you could get Adam to make you an acrylic frame with a curved acrylic front to fit your bowfront with a channel in it to hold a spline. 

I'm not totally sure it's possible to cut a spline channel into a curved piece of acrylic, but if he has a CNC it should be.

Yeah, shut up and take my money! - Fry (from Futurama)

Ive never used the glass tops on my tank because my old lights prevented me from doing so, except for the front curved parts. Literally put them on for the photo op and left them on over night so my wrasse wouldn't fly away.

I was less concerned with PAR, but had issues with the grid shadows all over the tank that I was seeing.

But quantum is butt far for me, it's pretty much bird netting, right? I would think a bunch of non fish specialty stores might carry the stuff.

Ask Vince if he can bring it to you at ffe

Ask Vince if he can bring it to you at ffe

On line, at least, Lowes carries bird netting. It's like $7 for about 200 sq feet. I'll try the screen making technique that Swimmatte suggested first as I can do that today.

Good idea....

Its not clear so down the road can always change it out if it bothers you

post-2633366-0-08268900-1374101542_thumb.jpg

Super ghetto, half glass, half bird netting, half egg crate. It's the ManBearPig of aquarium tops! 

The holes are a little bigger than I would like on the netting so I just doubled it and made sure it didn't line up perfectly. I totally envision coming home one day to my wrasse held up by his gills in the netting though.