Tank is dying a slow death... Can someone help?

pettyrd

A few of my corals are looking bad... Dying blastos, acan, chalice, leather and war coral. Two anemones and a clam died as well.

Tank is a year old and was flourishing up until a couple months ago.

I can't figure out what is wrong... All tests look good. PH is a little low at 7.85... But everything else is clean. There is a little red slime algae or cianobacteria (not sure which). Would anyone in the manassas area be willing to come over and idiot check me?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

need all your parameters.....post them up so we can start helping you

+1 and how often you do water changes. 

Edited by surf&turf

I do water changes once a month. Approx 40 gal each change. I use ro/di for my top off and change my reactor media (phosguard and carbon) every three months.

I will run a new set of tests tonight... But two days ago they were:

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- undetectable

Phosphate- 0

Calcium- 420

Dkh- 10

Ph- 7.85- 7.95 (Neptune ph probe)

how big is your tank as well? What is your salinity?

Try not to dump some red slime remover in. Big tank crash in this community this week.

I tried some red slime remover already... No success. -btw the decline in the coral was before the red slime remover was added... So I don't believe it was the cause of the coral deaths.

how big is your tank as well? What is your salinity?

180gal display. With about 45 gal in my fuge.

Salinity- 1.026

Temp- stable 78 degrees

How do I post pics with my phone?

I have two 400w halides and a series of actinic LEDs.

Photo period is: halides from noon-5:30pm. Led actinics from 9am to 8pm

Strange to have a big mature tank like that go into decline. My reaction is always to through a Poly Filter in and see if it shows metal in. the system. If nothing else it will pull out a bunch of phosphates.

Copper contamination is often the cause of unexplained invert death. Go over your whole system carefully with that possibility in mind.

I don't think there is any stray voltage... Two MP40s and two sicce voyager 4's.

All 4 pumps are in good shape. Like new.

Strange to have a big mature tank like that go into decline. My reaction is always to through a Poly Filter in and see if it shows metal in. the system. If nothing else it will pull out a bunch of phosphates.

Copper contamination is often the cause of unexplained invert death. Go over your whole system carefully with that possibility in mind.

I will grab some poly filters tomorrow and see what it pulls out... I am totally dumbfounded by this decline... Everythi g was doing very well up until about two weeks ago.

Additionally to all the dead items... My meat coral is almost totally void of color. He is a large white puff now and was once a very colorful piece.

Any little kids around that may have thrown a penny or two in the tank ?  -> copper contamination

Summer time, I get nervous when relatives visit with little kids, e.g. hide the fish food......

I would do a large 50% water change then add the poly filters that were recommended. What are you using to check your SG? I would double check your device as to me you are at the high end of the scale with not much room for error. I would also calibrate the pH probe and check it again.

Any heater that could have cracked?

I would do a large 50% water change then add the poly filters that were recommended.

+1

Do you have any fish issues or invert issues or just corals?

How do I post pics with my phone?

Dump them into photobucket and copy the image code into your post. You can download an app for photobucket on your phone..that's what I do....

Any little kids around that may have thrown a penny or two in the tank ? -> copper contamination

Summer time, I get nervous when relatives visit with little kids, e.g. hide the fish food......

Nope... No kids. Maybe a mad girlfriend... "You spend too much time on that tank!"

Any heater that could have cracked?

+1

Do you have any fish issues or invert issues or just corals?

I will check the heaters... I haven't in a long time.

My fish seem very happy... An the only inverts I have are snails. And they are content. My two anemones died though RBTA and Sebae.

Nope... No kids. Maybe a mad girlfriend... "You spend too much time on that tank!"

Well poly filter will catch her red handed lol....

Women....can't live with them....can't live with them ...lol

Make sure she doesn't do any cleaning around the tank. Mine sprayed window cleaner on the tank when I first entered the hobby and the overspray went into the tank which caused a mess. I think another member here had a maid service do the same thing. I've read threads where people have had exterminators spray near the tank and cause issues. Just something to think about but the water change and poly filter should clear most of that up.